Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: PS3 vs 360

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    I have to ask, why it would be embarrassing?
    Amongst my friends I would feel a bit embarrassed about my obsession with games. They know I like games, but they don't know I'm a game nerd...

I do have some friends who work within the games industry, yet not even they play games that often.

My closest friends who I spend most of my time aren't interested in games so much.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    I think this is already happening in general production of games. Games that are released on both formats are clearly optimised for the 360 because if it were to happen the other way round, the 360 version would be significantly graphically inferior.

Sony always strive to have the most powerful console, but because game production costs are so high nowadays, games companies must make their games multi-format if they want to get a decent financial return, so having a more powerful console is irrelevant in today's market. They need both the PS3 and 360 market, so it's not in their interests to make one version far superior to the other.

Which is all good because I have a strong dislike for Sony's "let's wow everyone with powerful specs" tactics.
    I'm sorry, but this is just not true. Numerous articles have been written about the odd limitations of the way the PS3 handles graphics which have led both Valve and John Romero to declare that the 360 is actually a more powerful system graphically. I would agree with you that in theory the processor in the PS3 and the addition of Blu Ray could produce better games, but to date it hasn't and not just because a lot of games are multiplatform nowadays. The PS3 is still very hard to program and I am not aware of any PS3 exclusive game that couldn't be done on the 360 as well. Maybe this will change at some point as the programming teams and tools become even better, but we are already four years in and it hasn't happened yet.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is just not true. Numerous articles have been written about the odd limitations of the way the PS3 handles graphics which have led both Valve and John Romero to declare that the 360 is actually a more powerful system graphically. I would agree with you that in theory the processor in the PS3 and the addition of Blu Ray could produce better games, but to date it hasn't and not just because a lot of games are multiplatform nowadays. The PS3 is still very hard to program and I am not aware of any PS3 exclusive game that couldn't be done on the 360 as well. Maybe this will change at some point as the programming teams and tools become even better, but we are already four years in and it hasn't happened yet.
    Yeah, you're right about there not being much evidence of PS3 exclusives that couldn't be done on the 360. I think Unchartered 2 is the only one.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Nakamura View Post
    Yeah, you're right about there not being much evidence of PS3 exclusives that couldn't be done on the 360. I think Unchartered 2 is the only one.
    I doubt that Uncharted 2 couldn't be done on the 360. It's a great game, but there is nothing about it that is beyond the capabilities of the 360 or a PC for that matter.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I doubt that Uncharted 2 couldn't be done on the 360. It's a great game, but there is nothing about it that is beyond the capabilities of the 360 or a PC for that matter.
    Nothing is beyond the capabilities of a PC. The PS360 are already outdated if you want to put the PC against them.

However. The 360 couldn't really handle Uncharted 2 solely due to the DVD limitation. Uncharted 2 uses the full 25gb of a single layered Bluray.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Nothing is beyond the capabilities of a PC. The PS360 are already outdated if you want to put the PC against them.

However. The 360 couldn't really handle Uncharted 2 solely due to the DVD limitation. Uncharted 2 uses the full 25gb of a single layered Bluray.
    There is one thing I just can't understand, why don't game developers make multi DVD games, it drives me nuts(Look at all the greatness the PS1 had, just becuase developers went the extra mile, specifically Dragon Warrior 7, Legend of Dragoon, and FF 7, but I'm sure thers are other good games as well). Can you imagine how crappy such games would've been if they just said, well I guess we just cut out every thing that wont fit on one CD, and end it there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah but what happens when everything within the game are sizes larger than what's on a DVD. I'm not talking about cutscenes. I'm talking about areas you can get back to, multiplayer maps, etc, etc, etc.

For example. Final Fantasy 13 was going to have the ability to go back to all previous areas. The game itself without the CG is so large according to Square-Enix that they can't fit all the areas on the discs to go back to. This limitation also made its way to the PS3, and not because the PS3 couldn't handle it.

So yeah. Square-Enix didn't want to create it so that 360 users had to change discs to go back to areas that were earlier in the game. Honestly. Who wants to enter a town. "Please Insert Disc 1," and then once you leave the town since your current data was on disc 3, "Please Insert Disc 3."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They could have easily used multiple discs or simply compressed the data further. There is no way that there is 25GB of properly compressed data involved in making Uncharted 2 run and certainly, it's so linear that multiple discs could be used if necessary. I own it and enjoy it, but it isn't some mind blowingly innovative game which only the PS3 can possibly ever run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah but what happens when everything within the game are sizes larger than what's on a DVD. I'm not talking about cutscenes. I'm talking about areas you can get back to, multiplayer maps, etc, etc, etc.

For example. Final Fantasy 13 was going to have the ability to go back to all previous areas. The game itself without the CG is so large according to Square-Enix that they can't fit all the areas on the discs to go back to. This limitation also made its way to the PS3, and not because the PS3 couldn't handle it.

So yeah. Square-Enix didn't want to create it so that 360 users had to change discs to go back to areas that were earlier in the game. Honestly. Who wants to enter a town. "Please Insert Disc 1," and then once you leave the town since your current data was on disc 3, "Please Insert Disc 3."
    I remember some old computer games were like that (on disk). I think there was a game on Playstation that did that too, but it was only two discs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

More FF13 info. These areas were cut from the game with considerations for balance and game volume. I'd take volume as another key to them really saying. "This is really another change made due to make both games alike." I wouldn't be surprised if we see a year or two after the release of FF13 another version of it with all the unincluded extras for the PS3 only.

Wasn't FF13 near completion when the 360 version was to be announced? I wouldn't be surprised if all these cuts are made in the international version since the Japanese are only getting the PS3 version.

Nora, Snow’s hero squad, at one time had a secret base within Lebreau’s shop. A full space was made for Lightning’s home, which included a park. One of the game’s amusement parks also had a zoo too.

These areas were running in an unreleased build of Final Fantasy XIII, but were cut from the final version due to considerations about game balance and game volume. Kamikokuryou says there is enough lost Final Fantasy XIII content was removed to make another title.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/13...-fantasy-xiii/

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

link?
    I'd take volume as another key to them really saying. "This is really another change made due to make both games alike." I wouldn't be surprised if we see a year or two after the release of FF13 another version of it with all the unincluded extras for the PS3 only.
    pretty big assumptions there.

as for the game being cut down, if the series' last incarnation is anything to go by, a little aggressive pruning was in order. kotaku's reporting that ffxii's length is around 60hrs. personally, i was nearly 70hrs into ffxii before i got my first esper. lord knows how long it would have taken to finish. a tighter, more concise game is better than one that overstays its welcome.

aside: how did we get off on this tangent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    The 360 being DVD giving limitations to multiconsole titles that would otherwise have had more content on the PS3 version. The FF13 thing is like most known about you hear a new thing being removed everyday.

FF13 was going to be in 1080p. No longer because without a fairly high amount of discs it won't be possible on the 360. No dual audio because it's not on the 360. No going back to certain towns after proceeding further into the game because they're not going to be on every disc on the 360. Graphics compression on the PS3 to the same amount that will be on the 360.

The others were assumptions. But from the fact that FF13 was pretty much done when the 360 version was announced and they announced they wanted each version the same, it's not really so much an assumption rather than that's what they most likely did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It happened at least a week ago. I recall writing that I've read that some games are at the point where data for just one level can approach the size of a DVD - I think that was in relation to one of the Gears of War titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Actually, [360 hard drives] ARE proprietary. The connecting port is non-standard, they have a purpose built case that you have to get around one way or another, and yes, you CAN hack your way through, but I for one don't care to muck around with it.
    Again, the actual hard drive isn't proprietary. Yeah, probably you'll need to get a cheap 360 hard drive or somebody's broken one to use the shell with, but you're still saving money. I don't begrudge you the convenience of just buying one at Microsoft's extortionate rates, but it doesn't serve other people well to deny that they can do this and to say the hard drive is proprietary when it ain't.

I'll just snip all the useless junk from the middle of this long-ago exchange but I'll note that you're right that the PS3 does allow larger drives than the 360 - as I understand it now (and at the time I wrote my first post) the 360 is limited to taking certain models of hard drive, which should mean that there's no dollar per gigabyte equality for the 360 and PS3 options if the known 360-compatible drives are scarce due to being sought after. If you were looking to upgrade a PS3 to 160 GB, that almost certainly could be done somewhat more cheaply.

2) Cheaper and a pain in the ass. Also, in the grey area legally.
    Let's be careful - there seems to be nothing "in the grey area legally" about flashing a hard drive with firmware. Voiding your warranty (which Microsoft needn't know about) or avoiding online play with the newly-flashed drive in place is another issue, but some people are fine with that.

The "extra shame" comment isn't in defense of the 360, but rather a critique of getting notebook drives to begin with for the PS3. Everything I've seen suggests regular desktop drives will work in the PS3 just fine.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 01-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

pretty big assumptions there.
    Considering Square Enix's track record, I think the assumption that an FFXIII International or FFXIII+ version will come out eventually is a relatively safe bet. The real assumption is why the cuts were made in the first place. I just get a sneaking suspicion that the 360 doesn't necessarily factor in much at all. It's entirely possible the cuts were made for one of the hundreds of legitimate reasons most cuts are made.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Considering Square Enix's track record, I think the assumption that an FFXIII International or FFXIII+ version will come out eventually is a relatively safe bet. The real assumption is why the cuts were made in the first place. I just get a sneaking suspicion that the 360 doesn't necessarily factor in much at all. It's entirely possible the cuts were made for one of the hundreds of legitimate reasons most cuts are made.
    Agreed. My understanding is that what was cut from FFXIII had nothing to do with the 360 and was instead due to some of the dungeons and tangential side quests being far too long and involved and therefore they slowed the game down. The game engine and actual game content of the Final Fantasy games has never been that space intensive, it has always been the pre-rendered movies which take the space. Having said that, I will probably buy the PS3 version simply because I like the convenience of a single disc, but I doubt there will be any other differences or that there was ever anything planned to be in the game that was taken out because of the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

I would also be more inclined to get the PS3 version if I had a PS3... I didn't know about the multiple disk format for the 360. I hope that being able to install it to the 360's hard drive makes the need to swap disks mute or moot, even, I prefer muted disks, because when they're not muted they always complain.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...