Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 vs 360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I like the 360, because I know I am free from having people that bitch constantly about the system on my friends list.
    I've heard the 360 can just up and explode!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Has a PS3 ever actually been turned on to find out if they can just up and explode?
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    I've heard the 360 can just up and explode!
    Ah, we all hear LOTS of things.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    It's refreshing to see a thread destined to turn into a fruitless flame war, titled in no uncertain terms "PS3 vs 360." Hold on while I go title a thread in Off Topic, Republicans vs. Democrats. Apparently the arguments and name calling in all those other threads weren't good enough.

Seriously though, why? Oh wait, look who's posting.

Let's hope the time hasn't passed around here, where threads like this are locked before they really get going. Do I really need to go and dig up links to show where this has been discussed many times previously?
    Wow! you are SOOOOO much better than all of us morons, thanks for letting us know with a post that had nothing of value what so ever... Good work, you're the man!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Does the 360 have any exclusive platformer games that really stand out? Nintendo's got their Mario etc. that they've had since the beginning, PS3 has Little Big Planet, but does Xbox 360 have anything exclusive of the sort?

I know on the original Xbox it was Blinx who was meant to be the mascot but he eventually was walked away from, but then they still had Oddworld as an exclusive.

Now that Oddworld doesn't have games anymore, I'm curious if any platformer has become exclusive to the Xbox 360 and filled the void that Oddworld and Blinx once filled?

Edit: just looked and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts sticks out like a sore thumb as the only main one. I still have to get the two Banjo Kazooie titles for the N64 as well. Finally found a 360 game I MUST have besides Fable II.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 12-28-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has a PS3 ever actually been turned on to find out if they can just up and explode?
    BOOM!

/ kevin butler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Although I only have a PS3 and Wii, I DO want an Xbox 360.

I know I've mentioned that I will only buy one when a new revision is created, I think I will just pick one up on the next price drop. It's bound to happen, and I know it will be only $50 less (I'm just guessing/speculating, as no one knows how much it will reduce in price...could be less as it could be more), but with my associate discount, it will be another percentage off. So that really helps.

Both consoles are excellent. I am even enjoying the Wii, thanks to some great games I picked up during the holidays.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    BOOM!
    Boom to the power of boom.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Does the 360 have any exclusive platformer games that really stand out? Nintendo's got their Mario etc. that they've had since the beginning, PS3 has Little Big Planet, but does Xbox 360 have anything exclusive of the sort?

I know on the original Xbox it was Blinx who was meant to be the mascot but he eventually was walked away from, but then they still had Oddworld as an exclusive.

Now that Oddworld doesn't have games anymore, I'm curious if any platformer has become exclusive to the Xbox 360 and filled the void that Oddworld and Blinx once filled?
    There's Kameo, but I personally found it to be a huge disappointment, and I'd been looking forward to it since it was a Gamecube game.

I don't own a 360, but I've played many 360 games. Frankly, I've found Xbox 360 to be a series of disappointments. Kameo, Viva Pinata, Import Tuner Challenge, Beautiful Katamari, Ninety-Nine Nights, Chromehounds, Bullet Witch, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Too Human, Lost Odyssey, Project Sylpheed, Guilty Gear 2, Tenchu Z -- all of these were let-downs IMO. And since I've never cared for Halo, GTA, or racing sims, there's little on the system that appeals to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just found out that Rare made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts in disc form so I guess that counts as the one major platformer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I just found out that Rare made Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts in disc form so I guess that counts as the one major platformer?
    Is RARE still making games? Haven't heard from them in quite some time.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

This Banjo Kazooie game came out in 2008 and was described as being " a bit different from the two N64 titles"

I don't know because I never played any Banjo games but I hear they are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This Banjo Kazooie game came out in 2008 and was described as being " a bit different from the two N64 titles"

I don't know because I never played any Banjo games but I hear they are good.
    Nuts and Bolts is NOT a platformer. It's a game where you move stuff around with vehicles and the like. The first two games (for the N64) are excellent games and classic platformers (even if at times they're waaaaaaaaaaay too big on COLLECT TONS OF SHIT!), but if you go in expecting that with the 360 game, you are in for a disappointment.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which system is better? It all comes down to what controller you like to use more I guess...cause they both basically have the exact same games, except the 360 has Halo and the PS3 has Metal Gear Solid.

I bought a 360 over a PS3 because it was way cheaper at the time, and all my friends had 360's...so I wouldn't have been able to play online with any of them if I bought a PS3.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Which system is better? It all comes down to what controller you like to use more I guess...cause they both basically have the exact same games, except the 360 has Halo and the PS3 has Metal Gear Solid.
    Isn't Halo and Metal Gear Solid a bad comparison?

If you were a fan of the genre I'd say 360 has Halo and PS3 has Killzone. Or third person shooters. 360 has Gears of War and PS3 has Uncharted.

However the 360 has some big exclusives PS3 owners won't be able to get. Dead Rising. Test Drive Unlimited which is on PS2 and PSP but the 360 version is far better. Dead or Alive Ultimate and 4. Last is Tales of Vesperia which is also on the PS3 but I can guarantee that game isn't coming out in the US for PS3 owners.

PS3 has some big exclusives the 360 won't be able to get. Demon's Souls which unfortunately for 360 owners is both Sony and From Software. Valkyria Chronicles. Siren Blood Curse. Yakuza 3(played the demo and it's Yakuza, so yeah.)

I would have made mention of God of War, as the 360 really only has Bayonetta and Devil May Cry 4 of that type. However, after playing the demo to Dante's Inferno it's obvious EA made the most blatant gameplay ripoff I've ever seen in a game. I've seen quite a few ripoffs of other games but it looks like God of War was used as a template(which I really don't see why as Devil May Cry 1, 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania Lament of Innocence are far better.) If you haven't played Dante's Inferno go play it, and if you've ever played God of War you'll see what I'm saying. They even use nudity in an art form attempt to keep true to the style of game, basically an attempt at "art," just like God of War.

God of War is extremely overrated anyways, but atleast the 360 owners have something to rant about owning. It's not God of War, but the gameplay is alike.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) masteroftheclaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both the 360 and PS3 are fantastic consoles.

The 360 has the larger online community but when dealing with that online world in comparison to PS3, I'd say the PS3 community is a bit kinder to one another in online games. At the very least, that how it had been when I purchased my console a year or so ago. It'd make sense because the 360 was much cheaper at that point so the PS3 was kind of weeding out the kids who just opted for the cheaper system (and they are generally the ones with foul mouths).

The main upside about PS3 is free online features. This may not always be the case, however, and if they do end up eventually putting a price point on it then I don't think there will really be too much reason to choose a PS3 over a 360. It has Blu Ray, which could be a seller for some. However, I still don't see Blu Ray being the dominant form of media yet.

Beyond these things it all comes down to console exclusives. However, so many "exclusives" are coming out for the other system now that I can't even accurately come up with that many titles exclusive to either. When new games come out I'm often torn between which platform I should purchase it for. Generally the games are EXACTLY THE SAME. Oh, okay, there might be some slight lighting and texturing differences but that doesn't bother me much.

Basically, I guess the two consoles are pretty much equals. You could say that one has [awesome exclusive title] but that all comes down to someone's personal preferences and someone else probably loves [exclusive title on opposing platform].

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear more garbage on PSN, I don't know what you're talking about. It's all luck of the draw when it comes to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Isn't Halo and Metal Gear Solid a bad comparison?
    I just compared them because they are both really big series that have a huge fan base and are exclusive to each system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, you made a mistake. It looks like you researched which system would have the games you wanted to play, and then you didn't pick that system.
    I tried to make a helpful response, but ultimately I think this applies pretty well too. Nothing we say can or should make up for making the best decision for oneself.

I guess this also comes down to the age-old question of how aware somebody needs to be of the Search Function when they want to ask a question. On the CV Dungeon Forum we called these threads Evergreens (or was that here?)

Quote Originally Posted by SplashChick View Post
    I hear more garbage on PSN, I don't know what you're talking about. It's all luck of the draw when it comes to that.
    IMO People are likely to be obnoxious online on all the systems. 360 honestly just has the worst rap since their system has been around "the longest" (and it has Halo, I suppose that's a lol?) Voice chat on Steam was often extremely irritating to me; then again, I heard some awesome stuff too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This was a post I made in a similar thread over at AtariAge a month ago outlining my opinions of both consoles. I don't see how anyone can go wrong with either system. If someone purchases one and ends up disappointed, I have my doubts the other will be any more to your enjoyment.

Which one is best for you depends on your personal taste

The Playstation 3 is by far the better built of the two (Although I'm unsure about the redesigned PS3). It's worth noting that recent 360's seem to be built better and are close to being the reliable machine we always wished it was.

The Xbox 360 has the better controller, although it's sadly flawed due to having a horrible d-pad.

The Playstation 3 has superior multimedia capabilities out of the box. It's an excellent upscaling DVD player, plays Blu-Rays, has a internet browser, and other good multimedia options for such things as video files and mp3's.

The Xbox 360 has a superior online network that offers good online play, quick downloads, and excellent features like it's video store that put the PS3's one to shame the last time I tried it (Doesn't appear to be accurate now, I've revisited the PSN video store in recent days and it's much improved and has a lot of content).

The PS3's online is free, and significant features seem to get added to it's firmware more often than the 360 gets anything. Microsoft seems to usually concentrate on refining what it already offers.

The integration of things like achievements, friend's list, etc., on the 360 is far better than the PS3.

The PS3 has excellent to decent PSOne backwards compatibility, depending on the title. Some models play PS2 games quite well, especially early releases that had full PS2 hardware compatibility. Few BC Xbox titles run close to flawless on the 360 from my experience.

Games tend to perform better on the 360, often being the lead development platform, while the PS3 port of a specific title sometimes runs much poorer than on the 360, despite having a hardware advantage. Seems like the gap is closing or closed though as the PS3 grows its userbase, forcing developers to pay more attention to their PS3 releases.

PS3 can take advantage of PC controllers in certain situations, such as USB flightsticks and throttles in at least 1 flight simulation and various Logitech and Fanatec wheel/pedal sets for racing sims. The 360 is limited to licensed 360 controllers, and the license isn't easy to get even if you're willing to pay.

The Xbox 360 is a year older than the PS3 and has a lot of nice bargain games from that era that are cheap to buy now, such as Call of Duty 2. That extra year on the market also means there's a larger variety of games available on the 360, though whatever advantage that provides is erased more every week as both platforms recieve most non 1st party releases these days.

The PS3's hardware is easily upgradeable with standard laptop harddrives. Expect to pay a very inflated premium to ever upgrade your 360 to a larger hard drive.

XBLA has a far more engaging selection of new titles than PSN does (Though there's still lots of nice PSN releases). However, the PSN's selection of older back catalog titles from the PSOne is getting better by the week while the Xbox Originals line is dead almost before it even started. Both seem comparable with current generation game downloads (An area I've ignored, I would rather buy a specific game on disc than pay the same amount to download it).

The Playstation 3 is region free, making it easy to purchase and play games from other regions. Through importing points cards from a region you wish to purchase content from, it's easy to even get DLC. The 360 is region locked making this impossible for the average consumer, although many titles that would typically of been a desired import in the past (Such as the Raiden Fighters compilation) have actually recieved North American releases, softening the blow a bit.

Netflix is something many 360 owners have enjoyed, but it will shortly be officially available on the PS3 as well. So they're comparable in that area (Has since happened, with a Netflix application running directly from the dashboard and tailored for the PS3 coming in the future to replace the current disc based application).

That's pretty much how I view both consoles. They both have certain advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I enjoy the gaming experience of the 360 more, while I love the multimedia capabilities of the PS3. The PS3 also provides for the occasional excellent PS3 exclusive (Even in the download arena, GTI Club+, SumoDigital's remake of a classic Konami arcade racer, is excellent and not available on XBLA for one example). Also, despite preferring to game on the 360, I love that the occasional PS3 title, like IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, allows me to use PC controllers to enjoy it unlike on the Xbox 360. Glad I have both, but strictly from a gaming perspective, the 360 has a definite edge as far as my taste go.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-29-2009 at 09:53 PM.