Thread: Flight Sticks for the PS3 & 360: What's Available & What's the Best

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Flight Sticks for the PS3 & 360: What's Available & What's the Best

Earlier last week, I bought IL 2 Sturmovik for the PS3. Partly because a good deal came up on Amazon, and then there's the fact it's been claimed to be the best flight sim available on a console. I've noticed that flight simulators seem to be one of the more overlooked genres here at Digital Press and I would assume it's because there aren't many good representations on game consoles.

I just received the game today and still have yet to play it. From the time I've ordered the game and up until today, I've been casually reasearching flight sticks, to try and find the right one to purchase. Throughout this time, collectively, I've spent a few hours trying to find a good concrete answer to my query. A major hang-up with controllers that are available, seem to stem from large dead zones, when trying to visually scan for enemy fighters. Through my research it appears that this problem is with joysticks rather than with the game. I could be wrong though.

Now I don't have a 360, but I know this and other flying games are also on the that console. I thought I might as well include the 360 in this thread too, for those that like flight games but down own a PS3. And while I hate to throw the Wii to the wayside, I don't think it's really relevant to this discussion.

The purpose of this thread is to share information about flight sticks that you may use(or may have used)and to try and pin down what seems to be the better sticks for each console. Alternative solutions, favorite sims, controllers you hate/love, or anything related can all be discussed here.

Anyway, I searched the joystick categories on Amazon.com, and here are the sticks I found for each console. There may be more out there, and if you come across any other controllers, I can update this list.

PS3.

Saitek PS40U Aviator Joystick AV8R-03 (PS3 & PC)
    Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X Joystick (PS3 & PC)
    Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas Stick
    Saitek X52 Flight Control System (PC & PS3) - This particular stick is patched to work with Birds of Prey, but may not be fully compatible with other games.

XBOX 360

Saitek PS41 Aviator Joystick - AV8R-02 (PC & 360)
    Ace Combat 6 w/ Flight Stick

For right now, there's what I could find. I've heard that there was a patch released for the PS3 recently to allow PC sticks to be used on the console. What I don't know if this is just for IL 2 Sturmovik or for other flight games too. I checked over at the official IL 2 Forums, but there hasn't been much activity since the patch has been released.

So what's your recommendation? I could also update the original list with numbers next to each controller that pertain to the amount of recommendations each stick gets, if I get enough responses.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 12-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's it for the Xbox 360.

I'm unaware of the situation on the PS3 beyond support for standard PC USB sticks/throttles like the Saitek X-52 being patched into Birds of Prey.

You also might be able to get PS2 controllers going using an adapter (I believe Japan saw some PS2 flight sticks/throttles for Ace Combat for example).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    That's it for the Xbox 360.

I'm unaware of the situation on the PS3 beyond support for standard PC USB sticks/throttles like the Saitek X-52 being patched into Birds of Prey.

You also might be able to get PS2 controllers going using an adapter (I believe Japan saw some PS2 flight sticks/throttles for Ace Combat for example).

So the X-52 works for Birds of Prey? I guess it's only specific to this game then?

I found this thread about playing the PS3 BoP with the x-52 a few minutes ago. Based on the little bit of info I've gathered, this sounds like the stick to get.

Cool, I'll update the PS3 list then. Hopefully some more info about using the X52 with surface in the coming days. I'd like to get a good flight stick, but don't want to drop $85 unless it's truly worth it (I was really only wanting to spend about $50)

It seems the analog stick on the throttle for looking around, is a key feature any good stick should have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The developers had to patch it in, so you're only guaranteed it will work to your satisfaction in this game.

I've only used the X-52 since it's my primary joystick for PC combat sims (The PC parents of Birds of Prey, LockOn, Rise of Flight, and occasional use in the MS Flight Sim series when I'm too lazy to hook up a flight yoke). But I've heard nothing that suggest it's limited to the X-52.

PS3's have limited compatibility with PC USB controllers out of the box, so you could probably get many flight sticks working somewhat on a PS3 in many games. But being able to map things properly like the throttle and other functions is something that needs to be programmed specifically into a game, which this patch took care of. So there's no guarantee you'll be able to get it going in something like the arcade Blazing Angels series and other games.

"It seems the analog stick on the throttle for looking around, is a key feature any good stick should have."

Not so much these days in the PC flight simulator world. You really need TrackIR to make it natural and give yourself a real advantage, otherwise you'd be at a disadvantage compared to much of the competition. Also comes in extremely useful in racing simulation software like iRacing rather than using look buttons to glance from side to side. The X-52's POV stick gets the job done though.

I haven't kept up with things the past three years or so since purchasing it, but the X-52 is money well spent if you want to enjoy flight simulations, especially of the combat variety. It was pretty much top of the line then, and I doubt much has surpassed it since.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The developers had to patch it in, so you're only guaranteed it will work to your satisfaction in this game.
    Gotcha. This was a patch specifically for this game, and not the PS3 as a whole.

PS3's have limited compatibility with PC USB controllers out of the box, so you could probably get many flight sticks working somewhat on a PS3 in many games. But being able to map things properly like the throttle and other functions is something that needs to be programmed specifically into a game, which this patch took care of. So there's no guarantee you'll be able to get it going in something like the arcade Blazing Angels series and other games.
    So I take it that this patch gave full mapping capabilities, so you could assign whatever function to whatever button you want. I currently don't own any USB joysticks, so I can't test this yet.

I own and have played nearly all the flight games on the original Xbox, and was underwhelmed to say the least. A dual shock 3, or similar controller, is more than sufficient for arcade-y flying games like those.

Not so much these days in the PC flight simulator world. You really need TrackIR to make it natural and give yourself a real advantage, otherwise you'd be at a disadvantage compared to much of the competition.
    In surfing the web researching flight sticks, I saw TrackIR's mentioned. I don't really know anything about them, as I haven't been into PC flight sims since the Jane's Windows 98 Combat Sims, and the Windows 95 Chuck Yeager games. I'll look into these a little more out of curiosity, not that I can use them on anything.

I haven't kept up with things the past three years or so since purchasing it, but the X-52 is money well spent if you want to enjoy flight simulations, especially of the combat variety. It was pretty much top of the line then, and I doubt much has surpassed it since.
    A lot of people still like them it seems. I started watching a few on ebay last night in hopes of finding a more affordable way to buy one. Most of my miniscule video game budget is going into arcade parts right now, so I need to get this as cheap as possible.

I did get a good deal on this game though, Amazon had it for $26 shipped on Christmas Day. I saw it on dealnews.com, having never heard of the series before. I did a little research and it sounded like something I've been waiting for.

EDIT: So until yesterday I had never heard the word "TrackIR." And up until a few minutes ago I didn't exactly know what they did. So holy shit, what a cool gadget. Click Here, if you don't know what a track IR is.

I read in passing that a cheap one would be coming to the PS3 maybe. Pretty fucking cool.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 12-31-2009 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lucked out and found the X-52 recently at Goodwill for $14. It's a nice stick but the first thing I noticed is that the spring at the base is *very* loose. I'm used to playing with the AC5/AC6 sticks which are a lot tighter, so it felt very strange at first. I prefer it now though since I can keep the X-52 unsecured on my desktop and don't have to worry about the base sliding around. Didn't know about the patch to make it work with BoP. I was planning on getting the 360 version but I think I'm going to get it for PS3 now.

I sometimes see sticks on Craigslist for cheap (I see a X-52 listed right now for $40 obb), so I'd try checking there first.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Didn't know about the patch to make it work with BoP. I was planning on getting the 360 version but I think I'm going to get it for PS3 now.

I sometimes see sticks on Craigslist for cheap (I see a X-52 listed right now for $40 obb), so I'd try checking there first.
    I finally got to play it a little while ago, although I only played it in arcade mode. Great graphics, and the arcade controls with the dual shock 3 aren't too shabby either. I like that the rudders are on a separate joystick, and don't know how well I'd like it if I had to twist the main joystick. Although haven't seriously used a flight stick in ages, so it'll take some getting used to again.

CL around here is mostly empty. Someone was selling the x45 a few weeks ago for $50 obo, but I think I'll pass. Unless I win one on ebay soon, that's cheap, I'll keep scanning CL. Thanks for the tip.