Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what sound card do you use in your old pc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i've been reading diffrent things about the awe32. can the awe32 emulate the MT-32?
    Yes with drivers you can. At least I've done it... in 199X

Couldn't tell you how to anymore.

The AWE64 wasn't as good as it emulated an SB16 rather than having it in hardware... think PS3
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Yes with drivers you can. At least I've done it... in 199X
    You can upload an MT32 sound font into the card's memory, but no, it cannot emulate an MT32.

The AWE64 wasn't as good as it emulated an SB16 rather than having it in hardware... think PS3
    O rly? I''m going to have to ask you to provide a source for that one.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    You can upload an MT32 sound font into the card's memory, but no, it cannot emulate an MT32.

O rly? I''m going to have to ask you to provide a source for that one.
    Re: MT32, I swear I had MT32 emulation working for a bunch of Sierra games. That was my whole reason for doing it. Oh and I think it was for Loom and Monkey Island as well that I cared... memory's fuzzy.

My friend had an Awe64 and I remember his never seemed to work in DOS properly without drivers loaded... mine detected as a standard SB16 in every game I ever threw at it... he was always fighting with drivers. It could have just been a system thing. My whole "it being in hardware vs software" was based on that experience and vague memories of the two cards... and me mocking him for years over his. I can quote no source but my own sordid youth.

Edit: Funny thing is wiki says the AWE64 had improved compatibility which was the opposite of my experience...

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The AWE64 was a "plug and play" card and such needed to be configured with Creative's plug and play utility. I'm not sure if there were non-PnP AWE32 cards.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    The AWE64 was a "plug and play" card and such needed to be configured with Creative's plug and play utility. I'm not sure if there were non-PnP AWE32 cards.
    Ah that might have been it. That wasn't needed for my AWE32 but I could use it I think if I wanted to... I seem to recall jumpers on the card (IRQ 5 DMA 1/3?)... sounds familiar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Speaking of MT-32 (and to answer an earlier post, I think all three MT-32s I've seen and personally held had the headphone jack - but I can't comment on the quality), what sound cards are recommended to connect the MT-32? Anything come to mind in particular?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Speaking of MT-32 (and to answer an earlier post, I think all three MT-32s I've seen and personally held had the headphone jack - but I can't comment on the quality), what sound cards are recommended to connect the MT-32? Anything come to mind in particular?
    seems that the AWE32 is a bad choice. i beleive it requires some kind of special driver and even then you get all kinds of problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    seems that the AWE32 is a bad choice. i beleive it requires some kind of special driver and even then you get all kinds of problems
    From what I recall an MT32 was an add-on anyway, not a dedicated sound card. Or am I crazy? I thought it connected through the MIDI port.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    From what I recall an MT32 was an add-on anyway, not a dedicated sound card. Or am I crazy? I thought it connected through the MIDI port.
    Yeah, it's only a MIDI box.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wow, okay, so apparently this whole time I had no idea what the MT-32 was... I always thought it was a regular sound card in the sense that the AdLib/SB/GUS were sound cards...

Since everyone always claimed it was the best you could do at the time, I always planned to add one to my DOS PC... but how exactly do you go about that then? Do I just get the appropriate cable and plug it into the MIDI/Game port on my SB16? Do you need drivers or anything? What is a good price for an MT-32? Is it even worth bothering with?

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You just plug it into any midi port.

There's also emulation drivers for a lot of older cards.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a good retrospective on the history of sound cards that I found awhile back:

http://www.crossfire-designs.de/inde...ndcards&page=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Wow, okay, so apparently this whole time I had no idea what the MT-32 was... I always thought it was a regular sound card in the sense that the AdLib/SB/GUS were sound cards...

Since everyone always claimed it was the best you could do at the time, I always planned to add one to my DOS PC... but how exactly do you go about that then? Do I just get the appropriate cable and plug it into the MIDI/Game port on my SB16? Do you need drivers or anything? What is a good price for an MT-32? Is it even worth bothering with?

--Zero
    The MT-32 sounds awesome, but I'm not sure how many games out there take advantage of its capabilities. It was distributed by Sierra starting in 1987, so a lot of Sierra games catered to it. The problem is there's a fairly small window of opportunity there. They started distributing it in 1987 and the market switched to plain ol' MIDI in the early 90s. MIDI music still sounds great through the MT-32, but there were only a hundred or so games that specifically took advantage of the unit's capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...computer_games

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    The MT-32 sounds awesome, but I'm not sure how many games out there take advantage of its capabilities. It was distributed by Sierra starting in 1987, so a lot of Sierra games catered to it. The problem is there's a fairly small window of opportunity there. They started distributing it in 1987 and the market switched to plain ol' MIDI in the early 90s. MIDI music still sounds great through the MT-32, but there were only a hundred or so games that specifically took advantage of the unit's capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...computer_games
    yhea but 100 games is still a good amount and alot of those games are quality.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Even if it is only for a few games, the design means it isn't a drain on system resources (ie, it's not taking up an ISA slot, or hogging an IRQ), so it's easier to justify.

I notice a lot of games have an option for "General MIDI"... is that something best done through an MT-32? Or would that sound exactly the same coming out of an AWE32?

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Generally any card will do MIDI, and the Awe32/GUS do it with wavetable audio (iirc)

So yes it'll sound way better on an Awe32 and APPARENTLY godly on an MT32... but I never got to find that out. I do recall liking the samples better when emulating one but it varied game to game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For a side-by-side comparison of how most of the best sound cards sound, you can check out my short video here. It compares Secret of Monkey Island themes on the sound devices it was ported to.

Evolution of PC Audio as told by Monkey Island
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post

--Zero
    Like the others have said, it's amazing on the games that fully support it.
    Compare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4nOiURgzg to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqoiV...eature=related

They go for around $50 these days.

What would be REALLY cool is a CM-500 which combines the MT-32 and SC-55 (for General MIDI) into a single unit. They would go for way more than the two of those together though.

The '55 itself has an MT-32 emulation mode.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm, well the computer I used before the one I'm currently using was considered "old", but I just brought the same sound card up to my recent build. It's a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card, and a very nice card if I do say so myself.

I was at a garage sale about a year ago and the people there had a Roland PC-200 MIDI controller keyboard for sale, $20. I decided it was worth that price and bought it. As I was leaving the sale the lady running it said "Hey wait, don't forget the card that goes with it". She gave it to me, I got home, and whaddya know, it's a Roland SCC-1 MIDI card. I tried using it on my previous computer, actually, which had a single ISA slot. It didn't work too well, and it was probably because my computer was too new to begin with. The SCC-1 looks like a really nice retro sound card, though, and I hope to be able to use it someday. I'm hoping that eventually someone will invent a sort of ISA adapter for new computers that works maybe USB/PCI, or something like that.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Hmmm, well the computer I used before the one I'm currently using was considered "old", but I just brought the same sound card up to my recent build. It's a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card, and a very nice card if I do say so myself.

I was at a garage sale about a year ago and the people there had a Roland PC-200 MIDI controller keyboard for sale, $20. I decided it was worth that price and bought it. As I was leaving the sale the lady running it said "Hey wait, don't forget the card that goes with it". She gave it to me, I got home, and whaddya know, it's a Roland SCC-1 MIDI card. I tried using it on my previous computer, actually, which had a single ISA slot. It didn't work too well, and it was probably because my computer was too new to begin with. The SCC-1 looks like a really nice retro sound card, though, and I hope to be able to use it someday. I'm hoping that eventually someone will invent a sort of ISA adapter for new computers that works maybe USB/PCI, or something like that.
    Nice score! The SCC-1 is basically an SC-55 on an ISA card.