Thread: obscure hard to find info on pc games

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default obscure hard to find info on pc games

i know we see this on the console side of things but i think its way more prevelant on the classic pc side of gameing, so many barely documented DOS and windows games were pumped out alot seemed to of fell through the cracks. a good example of this is the pumpkinhead game. spoonyone reviewed this game on his site awhile ago (if anyone here watches him) and there was hardly any information to be found on this game anywhere.

i'm bringing this up because i've hit the same situation lately with an supposed add-on for the pc game twilight 2000. TW2K isn't a very obscure game and there seems to be a fair amount of information on it readily avaliable but besides about 2 refrences i can't find anything at all on its suppposed expansion "the colonel". whats in this expansion? was it a retail release? who knows. i can't find images of the box, nothing but the standard game on the ebay. no faq on gamefaqs.

i basicly have a quick refrence to it on wikipedia and
    this site seems to have it for download for $6.00 (it won't even give you any information on it besides file size before you pay)
    http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/...ight_2000.html
    but i really want to know what its composed of.

anyone else have a game that they can find almost 0 helpful information on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Breach for the Macintosh. Even Moby Games only thinks it was published for the Atari ST, Amiga and DOS, but I played it on a Mac!
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fire & Ice for the Acorn Electron. It came on Amiga and DOS machines... but apparently for Acorn as well. Only a tiny tidbit on some random website is all I've seen.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i basicly have a quick refrence to it on wikipedia and
    this site seems to have it for download for $6.00 (it won't even give you any information on it besides file size before you pay)
    http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/...ight_2000.html
    but i really want to know what its composed of.
    No, no, no. Not mosw. Forget them. Bad. Evil. Poopy. Unfortunately, I know of no alternative download at this time.

My standard procedure when it comes to things like this is to try to track down the original developers. Mobygames has a nice complete list of credits; I suggest you start there.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    Breach for the Macintosh. Even Moby Games only thinks it was published for the Atari ST, Amiga and DOS, but I played it on a Mac!
    The only reason we don't have it is because nobody's submitted release info for it.

In other words, submit that and it'll get added. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    No, no, no. Not mosw. Forget them. Bad. Evil. Poopy. Unfortunately, I know of no alternative download at this time.

My standard procedure when it comes to things like this is to try to track down the original developers. Mobygames has a nice complete list of credits; I suggest you start there.
    thanks for the tip on mosw, unfortunitly it seems Paragon Software Corporation is one of those companys that got torn up and passed around. i'll do some pokeing around and if i find anything i'll post it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oregon Trail for the Color Mac is a tough one to find info on.

I also spent a few hours last year trying to find a certain Myst-like adventure game which involved solving puzzles to get to a treasure (or something) in a tropically-themed resort, remembering also that it had a sort of piano (or maybe organ) puzzle. Also thought there was a reference to it being built by a band. I did find a game that fit the description of "solve puzzles in a crazy place built by a band," but it wasn't a tropical setting, and was a one-man effort from the 2000s, long after I read about that other game. Sigh. The original game had a strange title too (one word I believe).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    unfortunitly it seems Paragon Software Corporation is one of those companys that got torn up and passed around.
    That's why looking for the names of individuals is the way to go, methinks.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Oregon Trail for the Color Mac is a tough one to find info on.

I also spent a few hours last year trying to find a certain Myst-like adventure game which involved solving puzzles to get to a treasure (or something) in a tropically-themed resort, remembering also that it had a sort of piano (or maybe organ) puzzle. Also thought there was a reference to it being built by a band. I did find a game that fit the description of "solve puzzles in a crazy place built by a band," but it wasn't a tropical setting, and was a one-man effort from the 2000s, long after I read about that other game. Sigh. The original game had a strange title too (one word I believe).
    ISIS: Earth, Wind & Fire by Panasonic Interactive Media? I thinK I still got a copy from when I worked there....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting. But no. Tropical resort-themed, not Egyptian, not Isis. Like I said, the name was really something unusual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    That's why looking for the names of individuals is the way to go, methinks.
    well, i was able to get ahold of Mr. Don Wuenschell whom was the programmer of the origional Twilight 2k game and he had this to say

"I left Paragon at the end of Twilight 2000 so, unfortunately, I did not work on the expansion. However, I do remember some things about it as I was still interested in what they were doing with the title. I believe I can recall seeing the expansion in the stores but only for a brief time and I think it was bundled with the original title. It was also a download from the company website. I believe it only gave additional missions, weapons, vehicles, etc."
    not a whole lot to work off of but its something. he also said he would check some things he had at home and get back to me if he found out or remembered any other info. really nice of him to even reply to me.