Thread: January 2010 Finds

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Craigslist was good to me yesterday...
    Nice Sega CD lot there. I've been looking for the cardboard releases here for a while and nothing ever appears in the wild here...

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What, you guys want to know about the dock sale?

I got up extra early to get additional cash, expecting them to have a ton of new stuff.

Well, there was very small amounts of new junk. Meh, sometimes it happens that way. I spent like $5, got a Creative RM-900 remote for resale, a USB IR receiver that went with a remote that I got last week, a small roll of telephone wire (the best stuff EVAR for electronics projects, btw), and an ultradata autopilot thingy. That's all. Well, I wasn't exactly hoping to outdo the $300 HP 16C calculator that I found last week, but some decent stuff would've been nice.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Y'know, I was planning on hitting that dock sale down in Waco this week, since I'm taking a vacation week. The next to last day before I get off, I badly pull a calf muscle, and now I'm on crutches. I'm spending my week off going to doctor's appointments rather than hitting thrifts and flea markets like I'd planned. Dammit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I broke down last week and joined the current generation of game owners and got a PS3. Since I need games, I hit my local Target this morning to see what they had on clearance. I picked up Smackdown vs. Raw 2009. Not my usual type of game, but for $3.74 I figured, "Why not?" Kind of strange since they had a couple copies of Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 for $14.98 each.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Got a nice dreamcast system with a controller, vmu, all cords and nba 2k1 for the grand total of FREE

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found 2 things at Goodwill today, and 2 things came in the mail:

Boxed Colecovision $9.99 – in okay shape, but sadly, no power supply. Didn’t see any games either, but perhaps this is the match to the bag of Colecovision games I picked up last month. Speaking of bags, picked up a bagged SNES console with 3 games for $14.99.

When I got home, there was a package from a store in California called Halo 13 waiting for me. I blew a little Christmas money on some video game figures I’ve been wanting for a while, and found their prices lower than most. Master Chief with sniper rifle was $14.99 and Bioshock’s Big Daddy was $19.99…that thing is huge and I can’t wait to open it up and get it on one of my shelves!

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter View Post
    Boxed Colecovision $9.99 – in okay shape, but sadly, no power supply. Didn’t see any games either, but perhaps this is the match to the bag of Colecovision games I picked up last month.
    Congrats on the boxed Colecovision. Hopefully it'll work fine. I bought five Colecovisions until I found one that worked, and it was boxed, meaning the previous owners took good care of it. Hopefully you can find a power adapter for it. Whatever you do, don't attempt to use a Texas Instruments Home Computer power plug on it. They've got the same style plug, but totally different wiring. It'll fry the console like bacon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    What, you guys want to know about the dock sale?

I got up extra early to get additional cash, expecting them to have a ton of new stuff.

Well, there was very small amounts of new junk. Meh, sometimes it happens that way. I spent like $5, got a Creative RM-900 remote for resale, a USB IR receiver that went with a remote that I got last week, a small roll of telephone wire (the best stuff EVAR for electronics projects, btw), and an ultradata autopilot thingy. That's all. Well, I wasn't exactly hoping to outdo the $300 HP 16C calculator that I found last week, but some decent stuff would've been nice.
    Just wondering how much are you able to sell the remotes you buy for? And are there specific types of them that are sellable? Thanks, I've just never heard of anyone flipping remotes before.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...the remotes are like $5 - $10 on eBay....not sure where the money is coming from on those? But hey, I'm not a remote expert!!

On the flip side.....WOW! I'm gonna keep an eye out for vintage calculators at the flea markets from here on out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Just wondering how much are you able to sell the remotes you buy for? And are there specific types of them that are sellable? Thanks, I've just never heard of anyone flipping remotes before.
    Selling remotes is a recent "business" venture of mine, because I see loose lonesome remotes at garage sales ALL THE TIME. I've decided to start picking them up to sell on eBay, as it's really simple, buy a good brand of remote, take a picture, sell it, and them put it in a bubble mailer and ship it off.

For instance that Creative remote I got probably goes to an iPod dock or something. On eBay I can get $8-$12 for it.

As for the most valuable remotes, remotes that go to LCD TVs, DVD players, stereos, and specialty devices are the most valuable. VCR and 20-something year old TV remotes usually aren't worth much. The most valuable remote that I've bought was worth $25. It was a Harman Kardon remote for a really expensive stereo receiver.

Brands that I buy: Sony, Creative, Audiovox, Fisher, Harman Kardon, really fancy Hitachi VCR remotes, Philips, Microsoft, Bose, 3M (they DO in fact make remotes), and any other high-end electronic company that I didn't mention. Stay away from Magnavox and RCA remotes if you want to try out this remote buying idea.

I'm just starting this thing, I haven't even sold a remote yet. I'm actually stockpiling them for later (and I'm waiting for my 100 bubble mailers to come in the mail.).

Quote Originally Posted by jkernea View Post
    Yeah...the remotes are like $5 - $10 on eBay....not sure where the money is coming from on those? But hey, I'm not a remote expert!!

On the flip side.....WOW! I'm gonna keep an eye out for vintage calculators at the flea markets from here on out!!
    Yes, usually vintage HP calculators are worth something. I wasn't expecting the 16C that I got last week to be worth $300*. That was nice.

*Value at that amount because the calc is MINT and complete. If it was beat up and loose it'd probably be $100-150
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some basic stuff today:
    PC:
    Skunny Kart [Full Version] ($0.59)
    -> Jewel case with floppy & inserts/manual, very strange.
    Knock-off Super Mario Kart.

NES:
    MetalMech Man & Machine (L - $2)

SNES:
    Biometal (L - $2)
    HyperZone (L - $2)
    Air Strike Patrol (L - $2)
    Darius Twin (L - $2)

Twas a good day to find some "shooters" at the pawn shop. Heh
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Selling remotes is a recent "business" venture of mine, because I see loose lonesome remotes at garage sales ALL THE TIME. I've decided to start picking them up to sell on eBay, as it's really simple, buy a good brand of remote, take a picture, sell it, and them put it in a bubble mailer and ship it off.

For instance that Creative remote I got probably goes to an iPod dock or something. On eBay I can get $8-$12 for it.

As for the most valuable remotes, remotes that go to LCD TVs, DVD players, stereos, and specialty devices are the most valuable. VCR and 20-something year old TV remotes usually aren't worth much. The most valuable remote that I've bought was worth $25. It was a Harman Kardon remote for a really expensive stereo receiver.

Brands that I buy: Sony, Creative, Audiovox, Fisher, Harman Kardon, really fancy Hitachi VCR remotes, Philips, Microsoft, Bose, 3M (they DO in fact make remotes), and any other high-end electronic company that I didn't mention. Stay away from Magnavox and RCA remotes if you want to try out this remote buying idea.

I'm just starting this thing, I haven't even sold a remote yet. I'm actually stockpiling them for later (and I'm waiting for my 100 bubble mailers to come in the mail.).

Yes, usually vintage HP calculators are worth something. I wasn't expecting the 16C that I got last week to be worth $300*. That was nice.

*Value at that amount because the calc is MINT and complete. If it was beat up and loose it'd probably be $100-150

Oh c'mon! It was going to be profitable to flip remotes, but now you went and posted about it on the INTERNET!! Now the market is ruined. some of us have to make a living, you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Thanks for the info on remotes, I'll start picking them up.

And I think my dad has that calculator somewhere. 0_0

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by suckerpunch5 View Post
    Oh c'mon! It was going to be profitable to flip remotes, but now you went and posted about it on the INTERNET!! Now the market is ruined. some of us have to make a living, you know.
    Oh, be quiet. :P

I see remotes all the time, and knew about the potential... market, but I wouldn't dare take the risk - I have no way of testing that all buttons work, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Some basic stuff today:
    SNES:
    Biometal (L - $2)

Twas a good day to find some "shooters" at the pawn shop. Heh
    Dude, you find The shooter for SNES. Bio Metal kicks some ass alright and what a price. I don't dig the US version soundtrack but it's a small blemish on an otherwise uncommon and fun game. Well done.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Oh, be quiet. :P

I see remotes all the time, and knew about the potential... market, but I wouldn't dare take the risk - I have no way of testing that all buttons work, for instance.
    This.

This is why I've been extremely picky about which remotes I pick up. I only buy ones that are in good condition with uncorroded battery compartments. And this is also why I haven't gone all out and bought every single one that I've seen. It's a risky business to deal with this kind of item because it's hard to test.

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    And I think my dad has that calculator somewhere. 0_0
    All of the HP 1XC calculators look alike. I just happened to find a rarer model, the 16C. I've actually found 2 or 3 12Cs and one 11C over the years. The 12C is the financial caculator and it is the most common of that type of HP calculator. The 12C is still good, as I've seen it bring $50+ loose. In fact my dad found a minty boxed 12C a few years ago and that one brought like $150.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 01-12-2010 at 11:28 PM.

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

I cant believe how much old HP calculators bring. I have never seen one anywhere.

As far as remotes, I have tons of them piled up from over the years, I usually find them not worth my time, since there are usually many already available on ebay for buy it now. The only remotes I have ever had that were worth a good amount, I also had whatever piece of equipment they went with and sold them together. Just for advice, dont think every remote will be worth your time, you really need to find ones from svhs decks, high end receivers, video editing decks, things like that.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Raided one of the local Play-N-Trade's strategy guide selection for Buy2Get1. I was forced to pass up Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (Xbox) for $29.99, but I'm hoping to go back and pick that up + 2 other games for Buy2Get1 on Friday.

Guides:
    Crash of the Titans (Prima)
    Codes & Cheats Fall 2006 (Prima)
    Secret Codes 2005 Vol. 1 (Brady)
    Secret Codes 2007 Vol. 2 (Brady)
    The Bard's Tale (Prima)
    Bullet Witch (Prima)
    Burnout Revenge (Prima)
    Call of Duty 2 (Brady)
    Call of Duty 3 (Brady)
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (Brady)
    Clive Barker's Jericho (Prima) (Sealed)
    The Club (Brady)
    Condemned: Criminal Origins (Prima)
    Eragon (Prima)
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Brady)
    F.E.A.R. (Prima)
    The Golden Compass (Prima)
    Hellboy: The Science of Evil (Prima)
    Hour of Victory (Brady)
    Iron Man (Brady)
    Medal of Honor: Airborne (Prima) (Sealed)
    Totally Unauthorized Metal Gear Solid Guide (Brady)
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Prima) (Sealed)
    Kingdom Hearts II (Brady)
    NBA Street Homecourt (Prima)
    NCAA Football 07 (Prima) (Sealed)
    Need for Speed Carbon (Prima)
    Need for Speed Pro Street (Prima)
    Perfect Dark (Nintendo)
    Perfect Dark Zero (Prima)
    Project Gotham Racing 3 (Prima)
    Rogue Galaxy (Doublejump)
    Shadowrun (Prima) (Sealed)
    Silent Hill: Origins (Brady)
    The Sims 2: Pets (Prima)
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (Nintendo)
    Superman Returns (Brady)
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Brady)
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Brady)
    WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 (Brady)
    X-men: The Official Game (Brady)

Also picked up some random games for Buy2Get1, $5 each:
    NES
    Exodus (never pass up unlicensed, non-Tengen carts)
    Silkworm (never heard of it, so I picked it up. Random R2 I've never heard of)

PS1
    Twisted Metal Longbox (never pass up longboxes, and this typically sells for $20-$25 around here)

Stopped by Goodwill before heading to a friend's place and found a few nice things:
    Wico Command Control CIB (Atari 2600)
    Storm Chaser controller (PS2). Feels like a decent, heavy duty controller.
    (Not pictured) Gravity Pro Pad (Win95 PC)

I've been searching for a Wico controller for a while and didn't want to pay eBay rates, so I'm very happy with that find. I couldn't pass up the guides for Buy2Get1, especially for the prices ($.99-$1.99 for most). Notables from the list of guides: Perfect Dark, Metal Gear Solid, Bard's Tale
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 01-13-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post

I've been searching for a Wico controller for a while and didn't want to pay eBay rates, so I'm very happy with that find.
    I just did a video on Atari joysticks recentlly and the Wico's are my favorite. One of the most durable and well built joysticks. I use nothing else when playing my 2600.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Uh...

DVDs were once again $2 a pop. This guy said he had like five boxes of DVDs in storage... my wallet cries.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 has no disc. T_T The manual and back inlay are fine. I managed to convince the booth owner to sell it to me for $1.

And those Sega CD games were from a trade at GameTZ. They were listed as "excellent", but guess what - they're not! Not only are the cases broken, the manual for Loadstar is stained, the back inlay for Ground Zero Texas is damaged, and worst of all - the guy SENT THESE IN A PADDED MAILER. And the mailer was oversized so the cases were all loose inside, and the discs came off their spindles while in transit, and one of Ground Zero Texas' CDs has this scratch that makes me worry it might not work anymore. It's not worth returning them so I just left some really bad feedback and left it at that. Sonovabitch this sucks. T_T
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic