Thread: Band Hero vs World Tour Drum Sets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Band Hero vs World Tour Drum Sets

Does anyone know how the new Band Hero drum set compares to the World Tour one? I bought the World Tour one last Christmas (2008) and it didn't even make it a year. I've read a couple of reviews and they don't seem to be very helpful. I'm looking specifically for the PS2 version if it matters at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Correct me if im mistaken, but I am pretty sure they are close to, if not exactly the same thing. In build and everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I would go with a Rock Band drum set. The Guitar Hero drums just don't feel as nice to hit due to the hardness of the pads. I also found them to not have as good of hit detection.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    Correct me if im mistaken, but I am pretty sure they are close to, if not exactly the same thing. In build and everything.
    No, they are actually pretty different looking, and I hear that they fixed some of the issues with the World Tour set, but I'm hoping someone has hands on experience with the two.

On the subject of the Rock Band drums, I wasn't aware that they were compatible with Guitar Hero. I'm still fairly new to the Guitar Hero thing. Is there any differences between the Rock Band and Rock Band 2 drum sets? Which one would you guys recommend?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpugmire View Post
    No, they are actually pretty different looking, and I hear that they fixed some of the issues with the World Tour set, but I'm hoping someone has hands on experience with the two.

On the subject of the Rock Band drums, I wasn't aware that they were compatible with Guitar Hero. I'm still fairly new to the Guitar Hero thing. Is there any differences between the Rock Band and Rock Band 2 drum sets? Which one would you guys recommend?
    I can definitely help you out on this subject. Here are the differences between the Rock Band and Rock Band 2 drumsets.

Rock Band 1 Drum set:

While the Rock Band drum set is far cheaper than the Rock Band 2 one, it's not quite as durable as the Rock Band 2 set. The drum pads are much louder on the Rock Band set than they are on the Rock Band 2 one. Also, the bass pedal is weaker on the original Rock Band drum set, and can crack easily if played in the wrong fashion. I have a RB1 drum set on the Xbox 360, and it is the worst drum set I have ever used. It frequently drops notes like crazy. However, my PS3/PS2 RB1 drum set works great. It hardly ever drops notes. Your mileage may vary in terms of the quality of the drum set. You may get one that drops every other hit and breaks within a day, or you may get one that is spot-on perfect and lasts for years. I don't recommend this drum set if you are concerned about getting high scores, because I commonly drop notes on my 360 drum set. Plus, the pads are as loud as hell and don't have a good rebound to them. I've also heard of other "horror" stories (mostly from Scorehero.com), including cracked pads and such after playing for a long time.

Rock Band 2 Drum set:

The Rock Band 2 drum set is the one that I recommend. While it is more expensive than the Rock Band 1 drum set, you are getting good quality product here. The drum pads are much, much quieter and have a great rebound to them (this is coming from what I've heard of it; I have not personally played on this drum set). The bass pedal is re-enforced with a metal plate on it and is much more durable than the original drum set's bass pedal, although it can still crack if you use it the wrong way. While I'm not 100% sure about this, supposedly the drums are velocity sensitive, but currently the Rock Band games have no notes you play that require that functionality. Overall I would recommend these drums, as they are not as prone to overhits and dropped hits as the older drums are.

If you want a picture-perfect drum set that will never over hit and plays like the real thing, you're going to have to go with the ION Drum Set. But it's perfectly fine to stick with the Rock Band 2 drums, it's the best one on the market from Harmonix.

In terms of the Band Hero vs Guitar Hero World Tour drums, the PS2/PS3/Xbox 360 bundles of Band Hero include a drum set that looks identical to the GHWT drum set. I have not played either so I have no idea if they perform differently despite looking almost identical. I know that the Wii version of Band Hero has a completely new drum set that looks a lot different than the GHWT drum set.

In terms of compatibility, if you get the Rock Band 2 drums on the PS2/PS3, they should work on the Guitar Hero games that support drums (Guitar Hero World Tour, Metallica, Smash Hits, Van Halen, GH5, Band Hero). You won't be able to access the drum tutorials in those games (since they were designed for the five lane GH drums) but you can still practice and play all the songs with no problems. You will just have to press the middle two pads (yellow and blue) to activate Star Power in the GH games, which for some can be either be an annoyance or not a problem at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully they fix the issue with the cymbals in world tour breaking easily. It is the main thing holding me back from getting the GH series of rock games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great info, thanks a bunch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On another forum, someone suggested Rock Band 2 drums, and those are the ones I ended up getting. I've been using them with Band Hero, Beatles RB and AC/DC RB track pack. They have worked great so far.

Insert Coin (Level 0) EColeman24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    Personally, I would go with a Rock Band drum set. The Guitar Hero drums just don't feel as nice to hit due to the hardness of the pads. I also found them to not have as good of hit detection.
    I completely agree with the above. Of my friends that have Guitar Hero drums the majority seem dissatisfied with them. So yeah stick with the Rock Band drum set.