Thread: MAG Open Beta is... Open! - Thoughts?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MAG Open Beta is... Open! - Thoughts?

I just played six or seven rounds of the MAG beta, and I feel very underwhelmed. In its current state, it feels less polished than the PC shooters of the early 2000s, like Battlefield 1942. The 256-player gamemode isn't available yet, so it's literally another run-of-the-mill shooter.

I absolutely hate console shooters, but I had high hopes for this one. I still think it'll at least be well-received, but the impression I'm getting is that it's merely a generic shooter with crowded servers.

Has anyone else played it yet? What are your thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Being a console shooter fan, I feel that this one will definitely "lost in the shuffle". More players in underwhelming gameplay and graphics really just isn't fun. Online only games just to me loose something....I want to be able to play a game years later even if the online component is dead. I think that it is great that the PS3 is getting some more exclusives, but this is one I could care less about. I played the beta and just felt "meh".
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I like it more than the BFBC2 Beta. The only thing I didnt like were the teamkillers.
    Last edited by Retsudo; 01-06-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it does what it set out to do (be a massively multiplayer FPS), but I agree that it will probably get lost in the shuffle and pushed aside (unfortunately). The graphics are pretty basic yet it works very smoothly which is always a plus for a FPS. It's actually pretty fun and you get the feeling of (I can sneak around and kill people that wont expect me to go this way).

The voice chat is FLAWLESS. I LOVE the mic icons that show up next to the player talking! This in itself will "imo" be the games saving grace, it's just a joy to FINALLY play a FPS with perfect voice chat (with tons of people even). If nothing else people will buy the game for this fact alone, including myself.

It is really setting the bar for how to make an online FPS "that works" and in that respect I think it will help push the genre forward
    which has been needing to happen to online FPS's for a LONG TIME. I also think the Battlefield series is more "eye catching" but damn voice chat on nearly all of those SUCK ASS.

To the naked eye it's fairly lackluster seeming and lacks the options and pedigree one expects of a current AAA FPS. It seems more like a step child or Call of Duty (lite), you can tell the game is more of a tech demo but I imagine the sequel will blow the doors off. It's a good start.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 01-05-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was very curious to see how this one would turn out. I usually get turned off by 8 vs 8 battles because of how chaotic they sometimes get, and yet this game still intrigued me. It seems like it might be fun to play if you had a large group of friends to play it with, as opposed to 255 random strangers. I'd like to get more thoughts on it once the final product ships.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MuppetMaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been plugging away on the beta for a couple of days now and decided to give er a preorder.
    Anyway is it just me or does Mag give anyone else flashbacks of Counterstrike? Which is awesome mind you. The whole feel of the game brings me back to endless late night battles of Counterstrike goodness ie plant charge, defuse charge rinse and repeat. Well at least on the sabotage game.

See you all in the thick of war come the 26th.
    Gotta have it all!!!

My Game Collection: