Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: It's been 5 years, and no ones talking 'next gen' yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 360 and Wii and I'm definitely not ready for the "next" next gen to happen yet. I haven't even bought a PS3 yet, although this will most likely happen after the next price drop. Like others have said, this gen has atleast another 2-4 years left in it. Natal and Sony's wand will keep them in the game a few more years and Nintendo will eventually upgrade their last gen graphics with an HD solution.

As for the upcoming 3D gaming that the PS3 will support, I'm sure that it's just another fad. I don't even like watching movies with 3D glasses on so I'm definitely not playing games with them on. Console graphics this gen(not including the Wii) already look good enough and I don't even think that the 360 has been maxed out yet. The PS3 obviously isn't maxed out yet and I can only imagine how good the next Uncharted will look.

As much as I like my favorite game series, theres no way in hell I'd buy a new system if it launched within the next two years. If they want to start talking about it in a year or so, thats perfectly fine. But right now all my gaming money is going towards this generation.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    You gotta figure with the size and resources of these companies, that they are creating the next system right now, in some back room somewhere. They'd be stupid not to continue to develop their technology in the face of such competition.
    Well of course they are. Nintendo have repeatedly stated they start work on the next console as soon as the current one has launched. I presume it's the same for Microsoft and Sony.

I imagine these consoles stay as nothing but drawings and ideas for the first few years but they are being permanently worked on.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I was actually thinking about this the other day. What if GameStop, Walmart and a few other authorized distribution centers could download the game, and then you could just take your hard drive (in some sort of removable caddy) to the store and have the game downloaded to you there. Not for everybody, but as an alternative for people without hi-speed Internet access ...
    I actually hadn't thought about this before. Digital Distribution would be feasible under this method. It would actually be bandwidth friendly, because the store would only have to download a single copy. Of course with Wal-Mart making many many copies off a single, there'd be anti piracy issues to work out.

I still don't see that happening next generation though, as there haven't been any details hammered out for an alternative type distribution. But this solution makes the most sense.

But anyway, Digital Distribution isn't going to work until our data infrastructure is improved. Completely going digital (household to household) would probably severely tax our iinformation infrastructure, especially when some games need in excess of 10gb of storage space. How quick would all those 60gb hard drives fill up? I'm already out of space on our 40gb PS3 and those aren't even full games. Unless Microsoft and Sony (and Nintendo) start including affordable 300 GB+ Hard drives standard, then thats another strike against digital distribution.

By The Way, How is the PSPGo doing?
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 01-10-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too me, it seems as if none of the companies are prepared to fire the first shot.

Previous generations seem to get kicked started by one company (It used to be Sega). This generation got it's start (most said to early) by Microsoft, who perceived some weakness in the PS2 brand.

So lets see, who is going to start the "Next Gen"?

Nintendo:
    The big N is back on top in a big way, love the company or not, there is no denying they are making money hand over fist. As long as that continues, there is no need for another console, the strategy would be to prolong this generation as much as possible.

Sony:
    After a rough start, the PS3 is making ground. Software is up, and the hardware is finally pushing some good numbers. Why pull the plug when things are finally coming together?

Microsoft: They are #2 Worldwide, and the #1 HD console. After a huge debacle pushing the 360 out the door early, they probably don't want to make the same mistake twice.

So really, why bother a new generation? As was stated, any talk of the next system leads to people not buying the current consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I actually hadn't thought about this before. Digital Distribution would be feasible under this method. It would actually be bandwidth friendly, because the store would only have to download a single copy. Of course with Wal-Mart making many many copies off a single, there'd be anti piracy issues to work out.

I still don't see that happening next generation though, as there haven't been any details hammered out for an alternative type distribution. But this solution makes the most sense.
    In my theoretical model, the copies the distribution centers like Walmart got were encrypted, and could only be installed with a working credit card number. There are actually lots of ways around this. Another way would be that the copies they install on your hard drive wouldn't work until you get home and activate it over the phone ... like some sort of challenge/response key. I dunno, those companies are pretty smart, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see why it should be any different than XBLA games. The whole game can sit on the hard drive, but only function as a demo until authorized. Even the slowest internet connection can handle that part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Answer to thread:

It's the economy, stupid

(and no, diskoboy is not stupid, just a junkie, whatever that means)

There is a lot I'd like to see out of "next-gen;" hey, at least it looks like we'll dodge the bullet of that streaming video gaming thing. And maybe the 360 will become a borderline reliable console through endless hardware revisioning.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    In my theoretical model, the copies the distribution centers like Walmart got were encrypted, and could only be installed with a working credit card number. There are actually lots of ways around this. Another way would be that the copies they install on your hard drive wouldn't work until you get home and activate it over the phone ... like some sort of challenge/response key. I dunno, those companies are pretty smart, lol.
    Patent that shit.

Seriously though, this would be the only way to go to a digital distribution model next generation. But there's not been any serious chatter about something like this, that I know of. It seems as if all the bloggers and tech writers are married to the idea of video game companies foregoing retail outlets and piping the game directly into the household. All the consoles would need massive hard drives though, even for the Wal-mart style model.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I'm not totally itching for a next gen myself, but I'd like to point out that a lot of what you guys are saying are things that I was thinking five years ago.
    I remember five years ago talking about the new gen that was about to be unleashed, and yeah, a lot of people here were saying pretty much the same things: I don't like current gen games anyway, graphics already look really great, etc, etc, etc.

These are forums based largely on retro gaming so it really shouldn't be surprising that a lot of us think that way.

This gen has brought us a lot of cool things: I personally love stuff like 1 vs 100, XBLA games in general (would we have gotten something like Braid on a PS2?), and online gaming (something I didn't touch last gen, said I couldn't be bothered, and now don't think I could live without). I'm not a fan of it, but the motion control stuff is cool too.

Did I imagine any one of these things would be part of this generation prior to it's coming of age? No way. And because of that I can't wait for the next gen: who knows what new thinking can bring.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    I dont believe companies can afford to launch a next gen system these days. Maybe in 3-4 years we may see some new systems but right now the market's not ready and the expense of developing new hardware isnt justified. For all the top notch specs the 360 and PS3 have, they are still taking second and third to a system like the Wii.
    I don't know what M$ and Nintendo's plans are, but it'll probably be at least 3-4 years until Sony launches a new console. They're still losing $30 something on every PS3 sold and a lot of their biggest franchises are just making it to retail in the next few months or are still on the horizon.

There are so many first time 360 and PS3 owners in the last 4 months or so since the PS3 and 360 Elite went down to $299, that it would be completely insane for anyone to be launching a new console any time soon. There's just too many people right now that are too heavily invested in this current generation of gaming, and too many people that have just started to invest in it. The only "new" console I see coming out any time soon is an HD Wii. HD is everywhere now and Nintendo is gonna have to get onboard sooner or later.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 01-10-2010 at 09:50 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    M$
    When are people going to chill it with this? It makes you sound like you're 12.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By The Way, How is the PSPGo doing?
    I think, but am not definite, that its sales haven't been particularly spectacular.

Also, it hasn't really been 5 years in this gen. Sure the 360 was launched in 2005 but the 7th Gen didn't really start until the Wii and PS3 were launched in 2007 so really we're only just over the 3rd year mark. Going by that, 2011/12 is the logical year when we'll start to see the beginnings of the 8th gen. Which is what rumours/speculation have pointed too so far.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, the biggest indicator that a PS4 is a ways off is the simple fact that Sony still makes PS2s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    Sure the 360 was launched in 2005 but the 7th Gen didn't really start until the Wii and PS3 were launched in 2007 so really we're only just over the 3rd year mark. Going by that, 2011/12 is the logical year when we'll start to see the beginnings of the 8th gen.
    Wii and PS3 came out in late 2006, not 2007. While I think it is obvious that graphics can be drastically improved in a new generation, along with physics and AI, I do think that the next generation will not start until 2012 at the earliest. This is mainly due to the economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the U.S., the 360 launched in late 2005. The Wii and PS3 launched in late 2006. In no way is that five years. The OP jumped the gun by almost a year.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see a Wii with HD capabilities, but the one thing that needs to be in a new Wii is DVD and Blu-Ray support, IMO. There's no excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm in 8th grade, and I have to sit with a 12 year old. He yelled at me because I had an Apple sticker on my first model DS, and he goes, "Why do you have that? Do you call that AppleS?" I proceeded to tell him to talk to me about it when his balls drop. He promptly shut up.

12 year olds- "Making idiotic names like AppleS and M$ since forever!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not all 12 year olds are idiots. Although all of the 12 year olds at my school are idiots, that's just a dumb stereotype.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well sometimes I have the mentality of a 12 year old!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    For me, the biggest indicator that a PS4 is a ways off is the simple fact that Sony still makes PS2s.
    Sony didn't cease production of the PSOne until early 2006.