Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Default Uplink

Anyone remember playing this game back in early 2000, 2001?

it was sort of hacker simulator, really made you feel like you were neo before getting pulled ouf ot the matrix for the 1st time. crazy simple user interface that ended up being super addictive, i seriously need to find this game and get it back up and running.

anyone else have any fond memories of this short lived game?
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Uplink: Hacker Elite was a really decent game, although like most Strategy First games (especially of the time) it is fairly lacking in polish. The interface is somewhat clunky and tough-to-manage. The "main plot" is also not the easiest to stumble upon...and IIRC if you made the "wrong" upgrades to your rig / software you could get yourself stuck without any clear indications of why, or how to play differently.

Their "Diggles" game was the same way - lots of promise, an exciting premise, and a decent first level...but you could really screw yourself, somehow, by getting far enough along in generations that your Diggles get cranky and you don't have the tech to keep them satisfied. Somehow. I never quite figured out how. The game mechanics are kind of obtuse on that, and Diggles are lazy turds.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good $deity, is that a "classic" game already!?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    i seriously need to find this game and get it back up and running.
    Dude, it is trivial to find. Not only can you buy it direct from the developer, but it's also on Steam, and for a good deal cheaper. I've been waiting for a reeeeal long time for it to go on sale; hopefully some day. (It did show up on Game du Jour once, but their discounts can't ever compare to Steam's sales.)

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Their "Diggles" game was the same way
    While that might have been published by Strategy First, it was done by a completely different developer.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 01-11-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Yes, I'm bumping this old topic because this game, along with Darwinia, Multiwinia and Defcon are for sale at Steam - for $5. ALL OF THEM.

I'm considering buying this pack for Uplink alone, the others are a bonus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic