Thread: Anyone tested the RetroZone NES PowerPak in the FC3 Plus?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone tested the RetroZone NES PowerPak in the FC3 Plus?

I was wondering if anyone has been able to try the RetroZone NES PowerPak in the Yobo FC3 Plus console. I know the PowerPak doesn't work in most clone systems, but given it works in the Retro Duo I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The RetroDuo and FC3 Plus make use of two vastly different NOACs. The RetroDuo has a pretty much "complete" NOAC, with no pins on the cartridge slot left without any connections, but the FC3 Plus has the old NOAC people hate: some notes come out at the wrong pitch(reversed square wave sound channel duties), will not work with Castlevania III and other problem games. As the FC3 Plus' NES cartridge slot is missing some connections to the NOAC(you can't get them anywhere unless you solder to the NOAC itself, which is impossible), there's no way the PowerPak will work.

It's strange: the FC3 Plus replicates the Genesis and Super NES perfectly(save for a few compatibility problems on the Genesis side with Virtua Racing and other specialty cartridges), but it fails miserably at replicating the NES. I think that, if I get an FC3 Plus, I should try and find a RetroDuo with a faulty Super NES board, take out its NOAC and try to wire it inside the FC3 Plus to replace its crappy NOAC. Although, I think the RetroDuo's NOAC is incompatible with specialty controllers like the Zapper and Arkanoid controller.