Thread: Game Endings Going Out of Style? [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Game Endings Going Out of Style? [Slashdot]

An article in the Guardian asks whether the focus of modern games has shifted away from having a clear-cut ending and toward indefinite entertainment instead. With the rise of achievements, frequent content updates and open-ended worlds, it seems like publishers and developers are doing everything they can to help this trend. Quoting: "Particularly before the advent of 'saving,' the completion of even a simple game could take huge amounts of patience, effort and time. The ending, like those last pages of a book, was a key reason why we started playing in the first place. Sure, multiplayer and arcade style games still had their place, but fond 8, 16 and 32-bit memories consist more of completion and satisfaction than particular levels or tricky moments. Over the past few years, however, the idea of a game as simply something to 'finish' has shifted somewhat. For starters, the availability of downloadable content means no story need ever end, as long as the makers think there's a paying audience. Also, the ubiquity of broadband means multiplayer gaming is now the standard, not the exception it once was. There is no real 'finish' to most MMORPGs."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't play online games, and I definitely don't play MMORPGs. I also refuse micro purchases for games. Any game I play generally is beatable and has an ending. This article may be true for some gamers, but I think many gamers will likely remain in the same camp as me. I doubt the ending will go the way of the dodo.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I disagree. Companies may be putting more stuff in their games, but they pretty much all have endings from what I can tell. Sports, Puzzle, and MMORPGs notwithstanding of course.

But I will agree that older games required a lot more skill to go through than most modern fare, thanks to the option to save progress. But in turn, I think it's great to be able to stop and pick up again later since one may not have a lot of time to invest in game playing, especially if the title in question is long and not finishable in one extended sitting.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i beleave it will be back in style because the story haves purpose
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile