Thread: Two different address...no answer. Recommendations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Two different address...no answer. Recommendations?

I recently sold a game on CTC/Game Gavel. Buyer pays relatively quickly, but since I can only send packages on specific days, I had to wait a few to do so. Not alot, just a few days (3-4).

So on the day I could send the package, I notified the buyer stating that everything will be shipped, but that when I checked his address on both Paypal and CTC/Game Gavel, I notice that they are totally different. Secondly, his Paypal address is unconfirmed, when I stated in the listing that I can only send to confirmed addresses.

I contacted the buyer a few days ago, as stated previously, noting these two points. Since the item was cheap (less than $10, including shipping), I don't mind if the address is unconfirmed (I can let it go this time, though from now on, it will be a strict policy), I can send it out anyway. However, to this day, the buyer has yet to contact me regarding the issues mentioned previously. I contacted the buyer again, just in case he did not receive the first email.

In case the buyer does not contact me in a few days (before Friday, for instance), what would be the best route to go? Sure, I can send out the package to the Paypal address anyway, but since there are two different address (one on PP and one on CTC/GG), I am very apprehensive on doing so. I also opted in issuing a complete refund in case I don't hear from him by Friday.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

If it were me, I'd wait for a response. More than likely they'll appreciate your attentiveness and not mind the delay (or they could go batshit crazy, heh). If I didn't hear back after a little over a week I'd just refund.

That's what I'd do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Corn said, wait for a response, as you have a valid question and have done your part to communicate. If you don't get one then don't worry about it and refund it. If they neg you because of it I will delete the neg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Unfortunately, after a complete week of trying to contact the buyer (several times too), no response was ever received.

So I issued a complete refund, as well as blocked the bidder from any future purchases.

I know it may not be right to block him, but since this happened once, it may happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I would have just shipped to the PayPal address.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    I would have just shipped to the PayPal address.
    I thought about it too, but since it was unconfirmed and different from the one listed on GameGavel, something told me not to send it.

A gut feeling, sort to speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have just held on to the money until the buyer responded and the situation got resolved. Refunding the money solves nothing. You lost the transaction and the payment, and the buyer still has an address problem, which the next seller he buys from will have to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Well, I did contact him around 4-5 times, in every case contacting him about the address issue. It's highly unlikely that he did not recieved none of the communications, specially when around half where through GameGavel itself and the other half through his email, although it could happen.

I hope he does get the address thing straighten out, though. But I will keep the suggestions in mind in case something similar happens in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    I would have just held on to the money until the buyer responded and the situation got resolved. Refunding the money solves nothing. You lost the transaction and the payment, and the buyer still has an address problem, which the next seller he buys from will have to deal with.
    Good point. Let me know the user ID on this and I will get them to confirm their address.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm sorry, but the seller made more than a reasonable effort to resolve the situation. It's tough enough to be a seller without having to deal with buyers who can't even get something simple like their address correct. Refunding the money solves the problem because now the seller can relist the item and actually complete the sale with a responsible buyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but the seller made more than a reasonable effort to resolve the situation. It's tough enough to be a seller without having to deal with buyers who can't even get something simple like their address correct. Refunding the money solves the problem because now the seller can relist the item and actually complete the sale with a responsible buyer.
    I would only do this if the item was sold via an auction and I wasn't happy with the final price. Otherwise, what's wrong with simply holding on to the money? If the buyer is REALLY that clueless where they don't check their email or notice they're missing an item, they're too stupid to own money.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I would only do this if the item was sold via an auction and I wasn't happy with the final price. Otherwise, what's wrong with simply holding on to the money? If the buyer is REALLY that clueless where they don't check their email or notice they're missing an item, they're too stupid to own money.
    And what happens if the guy is expecting the item, and he never gets it, and files a chargeback with PayPal, and it freezes the seller's account?

No. Send his money back. Better safe that sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    And what happens if the guy is expecting the item, and he never gets it, and files a chargeback with PayPal, and it freezes the seller's account?

No. Send his money back. Better safe that sorry.
    I've received literally hundreds of Paypal disputes over the last decade and none of my accounts have ever been frozen. They do freeze the funds themselves during the dispute, but at least at this point you have the buyer's attention and you can get the problem resolved in the dispute console.

Also, if it gets to that point, just ship to the Paypal address like normal and you're covered. Damn, you guys are gutless by happily pushing the problem to the next seller instead of ending it when you had the chance. I am *always* trying to fix buyer's stupid issues, like incorrect addresses, invalid email accounts, etc and nothing bad has ever happened to me or my accounts.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've received literally hundreds of Paypal disputes over the last decade and none of my accounts have ever been frozen. They do freeze the funds themselves during the dispute, but at least at this point you have the buyer's attention and you can get the problem resolved in the dispute console.

Also, if it gets to that point, just ship to the Paypal address like normal and you're covered. Damn, you guys are gutless by happily pushing the problem to the next seller instead of ending it when you had the chance. I am *always* trying to fix buyer's stupid issues, like incorrect addresses, invalid email accounts, etc and nothing bad has ever happened to me or my accounts.
    Gutless? How about most of us are very busy and can't spend ridiculous amounts of time and money messing around with bidders who don't respond to reasonable efforts to resolve problems. The guy was contacted 5-6 times. If he still doesn't correct the problem before his next purchase, what does that say about this bidder? Do you not understand that if you ship to the address and for some reason the bidder has moved or the post office ends up holding the item and the bidder doesn't pick it up, Paypal won't provide protection. I had a similar situation last year where I shipped to the Paypal confirmed address and I found out the hard way that Paypal provides no protection if the post office doesn't confirm that the item was actually delivered. Just sitting at a post office un-picked up doesn't count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Eh, I don't care if they have different addresses. Unless they specifically tell me to ship it to a different address I ship to the paypal address, I don't even look at the address in the order details on ebay. I contact them if the package gets returned

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Eh, I don't care if they have different addresses. Unless they specifically tell me to ship it to a different address I ship to the paypal address, I don't even look at the address in the order details on ebay. I contact them if the package gets returned
    Then you're running the risk of losing a dispute since Paypal requires proof of delivery, not just proof of mailing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Delivery confirmation.

I ship out enough packages to not be paranoid out of every one. If one out of every 100 packages I send out doesn't get delivered and I lose a PayPal dispute, I consider it a business expense and don't get too stressed about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

What's wrong with not going through on a transaction because you're not happy with the price? I dunno.... everything?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    What's wrong with not going through on a transaction because you're not happy with the price? I dunno.... everything?
    Cool, way to read my post. That's not what I'm saying at all. I said I would only refund the money outright if the buyer was completely unresponsive to a critical issue that had to be resolved before I ship. Otherwise, I hold on to the payment until the buyer gets a clue and responds. I've *never* defended canceling a transaction because the seller didn't get the ideal amount.