Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ys Book I&II Review is up!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ys Book I&II Review is up!

First video review of the year. So, let's shine some light on one of the best forgotten RPGs to grace the 16-bit era.

Ys Book I & II Review

Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    First video review of the year. So, let's shine some light on one of the best forgotten RPGs to grace the 16-bit era.

Ys Book I & II Review

Enjoy!
    In my opinion, there is no better game in the history of video gaming, and I've had this view since it came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

nice review

Ys I & II defined a genre!
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Good video. Ys is a great series. Is your Ys3 video going to be just Wanderers from Ys or is it also going to be Oath in Felghana as well? Are you going to make any mention of Oath in Felghana in the video or you just going to leave it until you later review it?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Not a bad video. For those looking to try out the Ys series, would you guys recommend any particular version? Since I don't have a turbo CD attachment I was thinking of getting I&II on SMS. Opinions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Not a bad video. For those looking to try out the Ys series, would you guys recommend any particular version? Since I don't have a turbo CD attachment I was thinking of getting I&II on SMS. Opinions?
    Only Ys Book I is on the SMS. One the TG-CD version, both Book I and II are on the same disk.

Although the Turbo version is by far the best, the SMS game is also very good and a lot of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Although the Turbo version is by far the best, the SMS game is also very good and a lot of fun.
    What about Ys 1 and 2 Complete and Ys 1 and 2 Eternal(same game?) The PC Engine version is considered the best because people are judging it based on the consoles it was on at the time, but I'd probably consider the remakes the best.

I've only played the PC Engine version of Ys 1 and 2, but from how amazing 1 and 2 Complete, Eternal, and Chronicle looks. Yeah. I want Ys 1 and 2 Chronicle .

Also. Pezcore343, most people will try out a Ys game and hate it because of the ability where you can't swing your weapon. I'd suggest trying out Ys6 Ark of Napishtim or Ys3 Oath in Felghana first to possibly become a fan of the series first. This way even if you don't like the style of the original games starting off, you'll atleast give them a chance and most likely enjoy them. I just know that most people would probably give a game a chance if it was from a series they enjoyed rather than something they've never played before.

If you also decide to emulate, get the PC Engine version. If you decide to emulate the SMS version, there is a hack on romhacking.net to actually use the Japanese FM sound chip music in the English version of the game. Much better quality.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    The Sega Master System only had the first. Book I&II TurboCD version I consider to be the best game so far and if you got a Wii and 8 bucks, it's yours on Virtual Console. They did release a remake on DS earlier last year. Ok but not as good as Turbo.

Their 6th installment (Ark of Napishthm) did reach our shores for PS2 and PSP and a good game for those seeking a bit of retro goodness in the modern gaming age.

As for Wanderers From Ys (number 3), well you'll find out soon enough.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    As for Wanderers From Ys (number 3), well you'll find out soon enough.
    What Press Start probably wants to say. "This game came out for the US, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die hard fan of the series because well, it's just not very good. Bad ass music though."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

if you cant get the turbo one, dont get the DS one, its garbage.

Its a DS'd gimped port of the PC remake kupo was talking about.

so if anything get that. Theres english patches for both and they look and sound great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    Theres english patches for both and they look and sound great
    There's English patches for the PC Ys Complete? I assumed if any were released they'd be on Romhacking.net. That's cool though. If Ys Chronicle isn't ever released state side I'll probably just download Ys Complete and the patch to play the remake.

*edit*

I also own Ys6 on PS2. I've heard the PSP version load times are extremely long, but how long are they really. Is it really noticeable in comparison or is it just slightly more than it is on the PS2?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-15-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I purchased Ys 6 for PS2, would this hamper my enjoyment of earlier Ys titles if I went back and played them afterwards?

And is Ys I&II for the DS really that bad? I imagine it would see an improvement in graphics and load times....

And one last DS Ys question: did all releases come with the outer cardboard box and music CD?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dam, you guys reply fast. Do you guys have lightning coursing through your veins?

What Press Start probably wants to say. "This game came out for the US, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die hard fan of the series because well, it's just not very good. Bad ass music though."
    And what kupo wants to say is "I like forcing my opinions on others, despite whether they agree with me or not or misinterpreting what other people mean, cause, in my own little world, I'm always right and everyone else are dumb f*#ks. PS3 RULEZ!"

What Press_Start really wants to say is "The next video review will cover my thoughts about the game but don't mind sharing my two bits early. It's a good game giving off a side-scrolling RPG vibe that may attract SotN fans, but it's short and somewhat challenging. Oh and I agree with kupo, music kicks serious elephant behind."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

There's English patches for the PC Ys Complete? I assumed if any were released they'd be on Romhacking.net. That's cool though. If Ys Chronicle isn't ever released state side I'll probably just download Ys Complete and the patch to play the remake.
    Dude there have been english patches of the Ys I and II PC game for at least like 4 years. maybe even more.

Google!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubeway
    And one last DS Ys question: did all releases come with the outer cardboard box and music CD?
    Yeah!

Unfortunately the fountain of love (town music) isnt on the disc. That really pissed me off.

anger was had on the drive home from gamestop that day.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    If I purchased Ys 6 for PS2, would this hamper my enjoyment of earlier Ys titles if I went back and played them afterwards?
    The only variable I see are the controls as everything else is done stupendously. Book I&II has a "ram" attack where strike enemies by running into them with the D-pad. III is more traditional as the d-pad for moving and attack and jump have separate buttons. The quicker you master the controls, the better the experience gets.

And is Ys I&II for the DS really that bad? I imagine it would see an improvement in graphics and load times....
    Ditching the 2d route for a 3d look sorta tick off the nostalgia lovers and didn't showcase well overall. They return the ramming feature using the stylus plus added additional levels and footage from Eternal but the hit detection is a bit wonky and music doesn't reach high expectations. Like I said, ok but prefer the Turbo CD better.

So far only I&II are released in the US and yes, they have cardboard box and music CD. There was a strategy game for the DS as well in Japan and Europe yet never made to America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

The stylus used ramming system feels drunk.

Like having a laggy mouse while playing a PC game,

This video makes me want to do a montage review of Hydlide 1 2 and 3 !

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

*edit*

I also own Ys6 on PS2. I've heard the PSP version load times are extremely long, but how long are they really. Is it really noticeable in comparison or is it just slightly more than it is on the PS2?
    http://www.romhacking.net/trans/582/
    http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1071/

Also, Ys III isn't for everyone. But the music kicks all sorts of booty. I should know.

Edited to add: And a friend of mine and I were working on translating Ys I+II on the DS, we had a fixed font, I was working on graphics... and then the damn game gets announced for America. And they didn't fix the freakin' apostrophe. Blargh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    http://www.romhacking.net/trans/582/
    http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1071/

Also, Ys III isn't for everyone. But the music kicks all sorts of booty. I should know.

Edited to add: And a friend of mine and I were working on translating Ys I+II on the DS, we had a fixed font, I was working on graphics... and then the damn game gets announced for America. And they didn't fix the freakin' apostrophe. Blargh.
    lol@romhacking translation links.

Ys III's soundtrack is so kick ass that it gets played in the car while driving to school.

loudly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I feel dumb. Whenever I did a Ys search I didn't notice the page 2 on the bottom. Probably because it doesn't have Page 1 2 3 4 5..46, etc. No wonder I never found any translations other than Ys for the NES and MSX :P.

Might as well also download Ys4 Mask of the Sun then though too. Never played that one.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played Ys I on the TG-16, Apple IIgs and SMS. I also have it for the X68000 and PC-88 although I can't really "play" those versions since they're in Japanese. In my opinion the Turbo CD is far and away the best version out there. The SMS and IIgs games are just rinky dink action RPGs, but the TG-16 version is an absolute classic. If you want to play Ys, I'd wait until you have the hardware to play it on the TG-16. It's not that the other versions are bad, it's that the TG-16 is that good.

I recently bought the DS version of Ys Book I & II, and it looks and plays like a cheap flash game. I only played for a couple hours but I'm trying to work up the will to give it another chance. Maybe it'll grow on me.