Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else into vintage LCD handhelds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone else into vintage LCD handhelds?

Just getting back into these... Tiger releases, mainly.

Seems that the gameplay on about 70% of them totally sucks (anything side-scrolling that involves "jump/attack") but 30% are a riot. Best so far- Skeet Shoot (you control the shooter with a small dial). Played the original "Football" for hours on end as a kid...

Anyone else collect/play/enjoy these?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a paperboy 2 tiger handheld, kinda fun but im not into handhelds as much anymore, want it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have 3 or 4 of them. An older member here, Antimind, used to collect them I think. I don't believe she posts anymore though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gokugohandave View Post
    I have a paperboy 2 tiger handheld, kinda fun but im not into handhelds as much anymore, want it?
    Sure, if your price is right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I always wanted some good ones as a kid but I only got a few and they were basically the same game. Move back and forth at the bottom to avoid what's falling from the top, passing cars, etc... Then I got a Gameboy and didn't care anymore. I do see them from time to time at Goodwill. Is there a best of the best list anywhere? That might come in handy for knowing what to pick up.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll put together a list of the ones I know that are good. You're totally correct- most of them are reshaped versions of the same sidescrolling game and none of them hold up to the game-play standards expected by modern gamers, but if you remembered playing them as a kid, you'd probably dig playing them now (every now and then, anyway... they aren't the types of games that entertain forever)

I did pick up these to augment my retrogame handheld fix... Assuming she isn't lying in the ad, I'm guessing at least a couple are OK.
    Last edited by Landon; 01-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    Sure, if your price is right.
    Make on offer, I dont really expect much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a Gameboy when I was little. I used to hate it when adults and relatives would lump all the Gameboy games and these little handhelds the same category. It was so frustrating when I would ask for a Gameboy game for Christmas and would get some craptacular Tiger handheld instead. And the adult would alway say "thats the "gameboy" you play right".

For that reason, and the fact that the originals Gameboy looks better graphically, I will never own those types of games.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Some of the Nintendo releases were kind of nifty. I've heard good things about Zelda, for example. And the color ones were none too shabby.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I have 2. Sonic 2 and X-men(black body). These seem to go under the radar some times. I mean if your lucky you can get them for a buck or two. The problem is ya just don't run into them that much. I would have more if I saw more. Yes I would pick up any that had to do with retro video gaming. One I did see, but they wanted way too much for, was a Black Mortal Combat. I thought that one can't be to shitty. Or can it?

Is there an emulator for these, that would be cool!
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got in a lot of 16 vintage Tigers that I felt were a surpremely good deal, given what the individual ones sometimes sell for

Lot 1

Lot 2

I'll post reviews of all of them ITT, but so far, it seems that the original 1987 Skeet Shoot is far and away the best game. Most of the others are side scrollers and the gameplay is generally lame (and also, basically the same). The funniest has to be the LCD version of VirtuaFighter. That game was a 'big deal' back in it's day- hilarious to see them try to 'recreate' it in Circa 1994 LCD handheld form

Also, I still cannot figure out Beauty and the Beast. I think the Beast actually attacks Belle (wtf?)
    Last edited by Landon; 01-15-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RASK1904 View Post
    Is there an emulator for these, that would be cool!
    There were "simulators" for a bunch of them a long time ago. I forget where they can be found.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    There were "simulators" for a bunch of them a long time ago. I forget where they can be found.
    I remember trying some but wasn't able able to get it work so I gave up.

There's also the Game & Watch Gallery games for the Gameboy systems.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never cared much for the LCD handhelds, even though I do have a bunch. I always preferred the early '80s LED and VFD (vacuum formed display) handhelds. There's photos of several of mine in the Electronic Toys thread.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a friend who's really into them. I haven't found any that I would consider to be worth playing. Now I'm going to lump all of these kinds of things together (including Game & Watch and the various of handheld type games of this nature): I would be interested in collecting video game based ones, and there are a few I've been actively looking for, but never see (there was one based on Splatterhouse in Japan). The Zelda G&W looks pretty cool, but not to the point I'd slap down over $100 or whatever on it. I know there are various video game based ones, but I almost never see them outside of the internet, and I'm sure they play like shite. I've been interested in these kinds of games for awhile, but given how narrow my interests are (video game related and has to either play well or be based on a game I like), I doubt I'll ever own more than a few, if that.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Anyone else into vintage LCD handhelds?

Yes,at one time I was really into this ..My handheld game collection days....especially the Tigers...I just kept finding them at flea markets and garage sales..In package,loose etc.
    I liked Tiger and started to buy everthing i could find in Tiger handheld-lcd

I put quite a big collcetion of LCD handhelds together whereas it kinda got to be too much...Stacking them or having them all lined up on a shelf was fun..
    ..........I didn't even play half of them before i sold them..

I like the Tiger Pinball and Bowling games...

One of the last I picked up was Beauty and The beast..I think it was pink and lavender or something..I had it on the shelf and a friend laughed when he saw it.
    Dude,it's part of the collection man..

When we moved I made lots of them and sold them on ebay..Some lots sold for more then expected then others didn't..I think one buyer bought like three lots of them from me ..

I might have some pictures stull up in he collections page here.

After the move I started to pick them up again here and ther ebut I don't see them a much as I did years ago..
    I have a few on the shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

What's surprizing to me is that they still make and sell LCD games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    What's surprizing to me is that they still make and sell LCD games.
    What's bizarre is that the new ones that are coming out have incredibly tiny LCD screens on them. I've come across a few in thrift stores, and it looks like they're making the screens postage stamp-sized in the middle of a giant plastic handheld. If they're going to be that cheap in manufacturing the things, they might as well make them around two bucks since they probably cost less than 50¢ to make.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really like the LED stuff that came out before the LCDs. My favorite is a game called "Split Second". My neighbor had one when I was a kid. I could not remember the name and it took a long time to figure out the title. I searched for days(online) to finally figure out what it was.

If you get a chance, pick this one up. It is a great game and a lot of fun to see who can get a better score.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I've got a surprising number of these. I just pick them up when I see them at thrifts or garage sales, I don't actively seek them out, though. Odds are they are beat to hell and back, and then I don't bother. And some of the Tiger ones just seem so dumb to me that I don't bother. The older ones and Game & Watches are definite pickups though, as long as they aren't expensive.

One my brother had as a kid that I would definitely buy is a Burgertime one that had a little joystick. Made by Mattel. It was a lot of fun and I expect it still would be.