Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Batman Arkham City

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I finished Arkham City a little bit ago with only 53% of everything completed. While I enjoyed the game, I still found Arkham Asylum to be the better one.

The city in Arkham City just feels so cluttered. While on the ground, it doesn't feel as interconnected as it should and while there is a little, there's hardly anything of importance on the ground either. The interior locations of Arkham City don't feel nearly as expansive as Arkham Asylum.

Now one thing I did like about the game is how the combat is much better this time around. Instead of enemies attacking one at a time, two or even three enemies can attack at once, but you can also counter up to three, or even 20 depending if you're at a certain boss battle. Most gadgets in the game now have a quickfire option for use in combat, new combat skills, etc.

Also the villians. A ton of villians have been pushed into the game as well, as either sidequests or into the game itself. The actual bosses within the game itself were also pretty awesome, and unlike Arkham Asylum, you actually fought more than two boss fights. With Arkham Asylum, the only bosses you actually fought were Joker and Bane.

So overall, the game does things better that Arkham Asylum didn't, but some things aren't as good. It's a great game and while not being my personal favorite out of the two, it's not much worse.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I thought I'd point out one more thing.... If you scan around the middle-right side of the radio signal screen you'll find a channel with a female voice announcing a series of numbers. Is that part of a side mission or just some secret thing? I don't see anyone talking about that O_o
    It's not part of a mission, it's an easter egg. If you match letters to the numbers, it spells out I WILL RETURN BATMAN.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Just beat it and I know it's cliche, but they only way to describe it as is epic. It felt like I was playing an episode TAS, it was all done soo damn well, it amazes me that they were able get soo many villains in the game without it feeling crammed. Not sure how Rockstead did it, but this game makes Arkham Asylum look like complete garbage in comparison, so kudos to them for making one of the few games this gen that was worth every penny.
    If it has a TAS feeling it's probably something to do with Paul Dini writing the story.

Shocking that he penned such awesome Riddler content since he admittedly can't stand that character.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I thought I'd point out one more thing.... If you scan around the middle-right side of the radio signal screen you'll find a channel with a female voice announcing a series of numbers. Is that part of a side mission or just some secret thing? I don't see anyone talking about that O_o
    I must be one of the first people to discover this, because I haven't really heard anyone else mention it. So far from what I know, only 2 have been discovered one saying (as mentioned abover) I will return, while the other says something like You will pay for what you did. Not sure what it's in reference to, but small things like this just are always fun to see.

Another thing that seems to be overlooked that no one else I know has done is with Catwoman, at a certain point turn right and you'll be greeted to a rather awesome cutscene. Kupomogli gave me the heads up via PSN literally right when I was on that very part and I immediately called my friends that had already beaten it and they said they completely missed it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

*edit*

Nevermind. I'm at work and had this left open and didn't submit it. Then once I submitted it, Exit already posted it :P.

Awesome part of the game though. The Mad Hatter cutscene is my favorite out of all that I've seen though.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-22-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I must be one of the first people to discover this, because I haven't really heard anyone else mention it. So far from what I know, only 2 have been discovered one saying (as mentioned abover) I will return, while the other says something like You will pay for what you did. Not sure what it's in reference to, but small things like this just are always fun to see.
    Some of the first Youtube vids up for Arkham City right after it's release where of these. So far, only two have been found.

Another thing that seems to be overlooked that no one else I know has done is with Catwoman, at a certain point turn right and you'll be greeted to a rather awesome cutscene. Kupomogli gave me the heads up via PSN literally right when I was on that very part and I immediately called my friends that had already beaten it and they said they completely missed it.
    I know the part you're talking about and it's awesome. I found it on my first playthrough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Joker just spouted an awesome LOST reference!!!

(Again, likely via Paul Dini's brillaint writing.)

God I love this game. I haven't stayed up past 11PM with an action/adventure game in like 3 years. Last night I hit the sack around 3AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You know all that complaining about how the game keeps calling Catwomen a bitch every five minutes? I didn't see this in any of the articles about that, but I think Two Face also calls her a whore at one point. During the last Catwomen mission, one of the threatening things Two Face will say is "We'll kill you for this!", which is what the subtitles say he says.

But I and three other people who were present a bit ago for it swear he tacked the word whore on to the of that sentence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Another thing that seems to be overlooked that no one else I know has done is with Catwoman, at a certain point turn right and you'll be greeted to a rather awesome cutscene.
    That cut scene reminds me a lot of the events of the Batman The Animated Series episode "Over The Edge" (the one that opens with Batgirl dying).

Anybody who is a fan of BTAS and hasn't see "Over the Edge" NEEDS to go find that episode and watch it. Like, now.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-26-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Okay. Finished the main story modes for Batman & Catwoman yesterday.

Satisfied, though anybody who criticized Asylum for having a lackluster (in terms of challenge) final boss battle probably isn't going to come away feeling like City does much differently.

Ultimately, while "boss battles" are a key component of the Batman:Arkham games' formula, they don't strictly emulate the boss battles from a game like Metal Gear Solid (closest ones I could think of) in terms of difficulty/challenge. If you're quick to determine a pattern, you'll be fine with any of the game's bosses.

However, a question to the DP crew ... how many of you spent a good 30+ minutes or more on the final Catwoman boss battle trying to "set up" the proper circumstances before they realized that it was ultimately completely futile and you could just run in and do what you needed to do?

I dug the ending and I'm really really glad that the game allows for full completion of all of the remaining side-stories, item collections and Riddler trophies/challenges with both Bat and Cat after the credits roll. I'm going to really enjoy being able to tool around Gotham at my own pace without feeling the pressure to hurry up with the story.

This is currently my GOTY and I don't think anything else on the horizon for 2011 is going to top it. Can't wait for the next one!!!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-26-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    However, a question to the DP crew ... how many of you spent a good 30+ minutes or more on the final Catwoman boss battle trying to "set up" the proper circumstances before they realized that it was ultimately completely futile and you could just run in and do what you needed to do?
    After about 20 minutes of sitting in the same spot waiting for the right moment, I suddenly realized that this was the second time the game had the big bad hanging out with the minions. Then it occurred to me that I might be making things harder than they actually needed to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    After about 20 minutes of sitting in the same spot waiting for the right moment, I suddenly realized that this was the second time the game had the big bad hanging out with the minions. Then it occurred to me that I might be making things harder than they actually needed to be.
    Well, good to know that I'm not alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I spent a bit of time killing all his thugs, then I noticed he's been calling more out. So instead I did a loud takedown, and when all the thugs were coming towards my directions, went and hit him with a silent takedown and a combo once he got up. Repeat.

Not sure if that's the final boss with Catwoman as I haven't played anymore with her. I haven't, but has anyone tried to go back to Poison Ivy? That could always turn out to be some sort of boss battle seeing what Catwoman did to her plant near the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I spent a bit of time killing all his thugs, then I noticed he's been calling more out. So instead I did a loud takedown, and when all the thugs were coming towards my directions, went and hit him with a silent takedown and a combo once he got up. Repeat.

Not sure if that's the final boss with Catwoman as I haven't played anymore with her. I haven't, but has anyone tried to go back to Poison Ivy? That could always turn out to be some sort of boss battle seeing what Catwoman did to her plant near the end.
    Heh, yeah, was trying not to spoil the action of the event for any who didn't get there yet, but AFAIK that's her final thing in the story mode leading up to the free-roaming portion of the game. Not sure if she has any specific side-stories like Bats or just the 4 "episodes".

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Heh, yeah, was trying not to spoil the action of the event for any who didn't get there yet, but AFAIK that's her final thing in the story mode leading up to the free-roaming portion of the game. Not sure if she has any specific side-stories like Bats or just the 4 "episodes".
    Supposedly, we'll eventually get download packs that will extent or otherwise add story. Might be a bit more on Poison Ivy there, if anywhere.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I must have missed something or mine was bugged as I took out the thugs in short order with no respawns (really no setup other than outside the main room, the bottom floor, pounce the guy behind him, button mash).

Is the scene everyone's talking about with Catwoman is when she's holding the briefcases?

I finished the game right at 50%. I definitely liked AA better but AC was no slouch. The Catwoman parts seemed really too short especially considering they let you sink upgrades into her character. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to answer the riddles but I couldn't really care much about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    I must have missed something or mine was bugged as I took out the thugs in short order with no respawns (really no setup other than outside the main room, the bottom floor, pounce the guy behind him, button mash).

Is the scene everyone's talking about with Catwoman is when she's holding the briefcases?

I finished the game right at 50%. I definitely liked AA better but AC was no slouch. The Catwoman parts seemed really too short especially considering they let you sink upgrades into her character. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to answer the riddles but I couldn't really care much about them.
    Yeah, it's odd, I've heard mixed reports of people being able to clear the room with no respawns, but I had about 20 bodies on the floor before I decided, OK, I'm just going to go beat the snot out of Harvey.

And, yes, the briefcase scene is the false ending if you go right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

A rather profound thought occurred to me as I was collecting Riddler Trophies last night regarding prisoner containment.

This "prison" is on a coastline.

Like, 1/3 of Arkham City is on the docks ... and there are boats on the docks.

That .... doesn't, seem very ... secure to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

No one in Gotham can swim, not even Batman. Duh!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A rather profound thought occurred to me as I was collecting Riddler Trophies last night regarding prisoner containment.

This "prison" is on a coastline.

Like, 1/3 of Arkham City is on the docks ... and there are boats on the docks.

That .... doesn't, seem very ... secure to me.
    Well, there are a few police boats here and there, they can probably move faster than a swimming inmate or a slowly drifting freighter. Besides, look how far it is from the coast to the anything that isn't Arkham City. I'd take forever by slow ass boat and be impossible to swim. Especially when you toss in the fact that the temperature is so low and the inmates have no decent food or cold weather wear.