Thread: Phantasy Star Universe is now better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Phantasy Star Universe is now better.

After recently getting PS0 on DS i've gotten back into the series full steam and decided to give universe online another go and in all honesty Sega has really pulled it together nicely.

They had Maximum Attack G a while back but now the stages from that event act as rare instances, so pretty much it's the original stages from Phantasy Star Online as a rare encounter instance. Just got through playing through Ruins tonight (got lucky) which had a 500% exp and drop bonus and it was DAMN fun.

Phantasy Star Universe may have had a rocky start, but Sega has really stuck to their guns this time and seen it through. They really seem to care about the series and obviously it has kept them afloat and hopefully we will see a new one on ps3/360/wii soon, cause I for one can't get enough of the series.

I'm still a fan and through thick and thin this series has provided me MANY hours of fun, anyone who wants to check it out now is the time if you never have. Also PS0 on DS really gives me even more hopes that they have finally got the formula down to a tee.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Do you still have to pay to play online? Or are you playing Phantasy Star Portable for PSP?

If you're playing Phantasy Star Universe and Online is free, I'll start up a character. If not sorry. I'll wait for PSP2 if you're going to get it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-17-2010 at 12:14 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah playing on PC and paying the $9.99.

Played the psp version and didn't care for the static menus at all. Not being able to walk around the colony really bothers me, that and it has no infastructure mode.

PSP2?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

This game was such a complete ripoff at launch. I never could even get into it nearly as much as I did PSO and I really did try to. I'm glad to hear it's better now, but I just can't bring myself to care enough to try again until it is free probably.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Phantasy Star Portable 2 is going to have infrastructure. I'll play with you in that once, and if, it comes out in the US. I'm still going to get PS0 in the near future.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Phantasy Star Portable 2 is going to have infrastructure. I'll play with you in that once, and if, it comes out in the US. I'm still going to get PS0 in the near future.
    Kinda funny but Phantasy Star Universe PC/PS2 servers are getting canned two months from now, i'm like :/., but.........

I downloaded the Phantasy Star Portable 2 demo! After you talked about it.

It will truly take the place of the pc/ps2 version and unlike Phantasy Star Portable (first one) it doesn't have static menus and you can walk around the towns and the houses are even the upgraded versions from Ambition of the Illuminous. From the demo it seems like there is gonna be alot of Sega magic in this game and the story seems better than ever (seems like there actually is one). I'll be buying this day one for sure, it has really impressed me and has much higher production values than I imagined it would.

I think you can honestly just skip PS0 now after playing the PSP2 demo, it seems much better. PS0 is imo like PSO/U (lite), still love it too though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Bumping a somewhat old topic in order to avoid creating a new one.

As my first Xbox 360 game, I finally finished the main PSU game a short while ago (the main game, with Ethan Weber). I really enjoyed it, but noticed tha it was too easy near the end (I was at level 80, though).

I was about to purchase Ambition of the Illuminus expansion but I read that there was no offline mode fo it, which was kind of a bummer. I was hoping to play the game offline, and not worry about going online. So for the time being, those achievements will alude me.

So my question is...who here still plays PSU, and most notably, AotI online? Does Sega still charge the $10 per month price tag for a Guardians license (monthly fee)? Is it worth it? How is it's current community?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Ambition of the Illuminus, you can play Episode 2 offline (which was online-only with the original PSU). Episode 3 is online-only though.