Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Lightbulb A Quick Note To All Before My Arrest [DP Store]

I have had it "up to here" with the thieves in this store. It's time to set a reputation as not just someone who will report you to the police, but someone who might hurt you. Someone who is CRAZY.

More...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damn thieves. How much do you lose to theft every month? Is your store in a bad area?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back when I worked for Circuit City, they forced me to be a loss prevention associate after I wasn't a good salesman. I always felt really lousy at my job when we'd find empty game cases or the ipod count came up short. The ipods, mind you, were in areas inaccessible to the customers (employee theft). It was a little hard for me to accept that people will steal, and I will not catch them. Although putting it in perspective, a glorified door greeter at a big box store still sees a much more pleasant side of people than a cop or judge.

On the bright side, maybe they won't set your bail too high?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could always plead insanity...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    Damn thieves. How much do you lose to theft every month? Is your store in a bad area?
    Honestly, I think the problem is that some people steal shit.

When you see those kids, do us all a favor and tape it, because it needs to be on YouTube.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We caught someone stealing at the game store a few weeks ago. Chased him down, said he didn't do it. You technically can't accuse anybody of anything unless there is 100% proof but what happened was the kid said he didn't do it and I gave him two choices. Hand me over the game and walk away banned for life, or I call the police and they'll physically TAKE the game from him.

His response? "I don't want to be arrested for a $4 game"

He handed me over a disk only copy of Ninja Gaiden for XBox.

People in my store steal cheap $3-4 games but take only the disk from the cases. We have everything else behind the counter (anything above $7.99) or in glass cases but it happens far more often than it should.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Just make sure it's within camera view. Scumbags like that will lie & say you touched them.
    Plus, I need to see this happen. I need it. I need to watch it & imagine it's me yelling at this douchebag at my job who keeps trying to take credit for my work.
    By the way, prepare to have a brick thrown through your window...at least. Point the cameras outside at night if that's legal.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Joe, why don't you do what Gamestop does, and have the actual disks stored separately from the display cases? As much as I hate them, that would help in deterring theft.

At least you'd only lose a game case if it came to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) Davedeadly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Darkwing26
    PSN
    Davedeadly29

If i ever see anyone try something i will notify u and watch your back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    matth35

*Cracks nuckles* Sounds like these boys need a good ol texas ass whipping. You get me a place to stay for a week or two (i'll pay) and we'll put a stop to them sons a bitches.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    Our theft problem is pretty minimal compared to other stores in our area... or anywhere, for that matter, based on conversations with owners around the country. But it comes in spurts and if even a dollar gets STOLEN I'm pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaeljason View Post
    Honestly, I think the problem is that some people steal shit.

When you see those kids, do us all a favor and tape it, because it needs to be on YouTube.
    They're ALL recorded but I have a weird propietary recording system and haven't cracked converting it to a Windows-friendly format. It's good enough for the police, however. Still working on it nonetheless.

We have clear videos of all of today's perps. The problem always seems to be that the police have no record and/or can't track them down. It's much more likely that WE will find them, when they return to the scene of the crime, than the police.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    We caught someone stealing at the game store a few weeks ago. Chased him down, said he didn't do it. You technically can't accuse anybody of anything unless there is 100% proof...
    I have 24/7 camera surveillance on five cameras, each one's recordings stored for at least 48 hours. And I CATCH everyone. The problem is, they're usually caught after the fact. It makes for some very interesting "after the fact" encounters, I'll tell you. Looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Just make sure it's within camera view. Scumbags like that will lie & say you touched them.
    Plus, I need to see this happen. I need it. I need to watch it & imagine it's me yelling at this douchebag at my job who keeps trying to take credit for my work.
    By the way, prepare to have a brick thrown through your window...at least. Point the cameras outside at night if that's legal.
    All covered. As noted above, tons of video recording 24/7, and I've already had bricks thrown at the windows. Actually I'd rather have the storefront window smashed through (which sets off major alarms as you might imagine) than have a day like today where a few people walk away with games in their pockets. Windows get replaced via insurance. Theft is not only hard to claim but it's even harder to collect on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Joe, why don't you do what Gamestop does, and have the actual disks stored separately from the display cases? As much as I hate them, that would help in deterring theft.

At least you'd only lose a game case if it came to that.
    It's a matter of loss management. At this point, over 4 years in, it would have cost me more in space and time than it would have in actual product to do this. It is ALWAYS my "plan B", however.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WANT THESE GUYS TO TURN UP AGAIN TOMORROW. The REAL story is just waiting in the wings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    They're ALL recorded but I have a weird propietary recording system and haven't cracked converting it to a Windows-friendly format. It's good enough for the police, however. Still working on it nonetheless.
    What I meant was you need to tape your confrontation with these morons when they inevitably walk back into the store. I'll have a bowl of popcorn ready for when that hits YouTube, Joe.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might do like pawn shops and store the games outside the game cases. Just put the cases out to say, "yea, we got it but you'll have to put some cash down to walk out the door with it."
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also, you should print out pictures of the guys stealing or the best shot of them, then post them on your front door. The thieves won't ever come in your store again.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

... tons of video recording 24/7...
    Any chance we could get some audio? You're party to the conversation, so it should be legal. Maybe keep a digital audio recorder in your shirt pocket until fucko's show up? I know it's a stretch, but I'd love to hear it. I'm sure we have someone here who knows how to sync the audio up with some video. There must be a way to get it on video, maybe it's as simple as screen capture, or plugging the source into your video card, or even just record the playback with a camcorder. You could wait to upload it until it has been formatted properly.

I know you aren't in the mood to have fun, but a good video on YouTube with the store name watermarked on it would be good advertisement/theft deterrent...and would be VERY entertaining. Dare I say legendary?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon View Post
    also, you should print out pictures of the guys stealing or the best shot of them, then post them on your front door. The thieves won't ever come in your store again.
    That's a good idea. A lot of stores have a "ban list" of people and post them on their store windows. The DP guy ought to let people know he's enforcing his right of store security.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're ALL recorded but I have a weird propietary recording system and haven't cracked converting it to a Windows-friendly format.
    It's not AVCHD, is it? That was a right bastard when I took a swing at it two years ago.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being in the retail business, you're going to have a certain margin of loss period. No one can catch everyone, everytime. Just keep up the watchful eye and hopefully you can stop as much as possible ;D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a matter of loss management. At this point, over 4 years in, it would have cost me more in space and time than it would have in actual product to do this. It is ALWAYS my "plan B", however.
    I'm just going to second this. Every independent game store I've been to now days has this system. Although I hear what is really frustrating is having people steal the case/manual and you're stuck with a loose disc (some people will steal anything). I could also see it being a pain to keep organized and to have to search for the games just to ring someone up.

I wonder what sort of effect running the theft videos on a loop on one of the T.V's in the store would cause (again, if you could get the files onto a nice format for that). You could add super close ups of the deed...sub titled commentary...could be like a blooper reel...or an animated, "These people are banned" posting a'la "these people write bad checks" liquor store flyers from back in the days. :P

Edit: woops...someone already mentioned the banned list...
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I remember what happened to a local game store several years ago. The store was robbed twice. The store went out of business since then.

The first time during the night, some people broke into the store next door and climbed over the ceiling to get into the game store. They stole hundreds(if not thousands) of dollars worth of stuff.

The second time someone robbed him at knife point, the thief taped his hands together but he managed to get free and chased the guy out of his store. Nothing got stolen apparently. I read about it in the newspaper.