Thread: Hyperkin GenMobile: Is it worth my time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hyperkin GenMobile: Is it worth my time?

Lately, I've been on a serious Sega Genesis kick. I grew up in a Nintendo household, so I never really got to play too much Sega, and even when I first did, I just couldn't imagine anything being better than my much beloved SNES. But then I found Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Castlevania Bloodlines, Alien Soldier, and all kinds of other games that really just blew anything of a similar nature on the SNES away (although as everyone knows, SNES is king of the 16 bit era for RPGs).

So while looking for a Nomad at a reasonable price, I run across this. A new portable Sega Genesis console at the low price of $49.99. However, knowing clones, a lot seem to have less than stellar compatibility. Being licensed by Sega makes me a bit less wary, but still, any clone I've ever owned was, well, a piece of shit.

Anybody here have one or gotten to mess around with one? If so, is it worth spending my hard earned cash on, or should I just pay about twice as much for the Nomad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the GenMobile, Retrogen, and a Nomad. I would say that if you care about how the games sound, then it's probably not for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the sound the only problem with it? If so, I could probably deal with it.

Also, is it the speaker or the emulation that produces the bad sound quality? As in, if I plug in a nice pair of headphones, would it sound better?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The emulation is the problem....Also, there is a compatibility problem with some games, and some guy reported his Gen mobile breaking within a week (cheap chinese units for sure)...So I'll say, go with the originial....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A GenMobile update?

Forgive me if this question seems silly, since I can't vouch for the source of my information. I was thinking of getting an GenMobile to replace my RetroGen, and that's when I was told that there is going to be a model 3 (I guess there's been an update or hardware revision already?) that addresses some of the GenMobile's compatibility issues, specifically with EA games.

Is there any truth to this? Should I hold off on getting a GenMobile until this new batch hits our shores, or is this a false rumor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have sold about 50 Gen Mobiles and I have had about a dozen returns. They are lightly built and I have quit selling them Internationally as paying the shipping to return a few of these and then ship out replacements (all at my cost) has eaten away any of my profit. Even some of the replacements I sent out quit working and were returned again this time asking for refunds. They just quit working and stop turning on.

I would say, only get them if you want to play the built in games. The cartridge slot and interface has issues (and extremely tight fitting) and if you aren't very gentle inserting and removing carts you will probably end up breaking it.

It's a shame that someone doesn't make a nomad quality system that is easy on batteries. Or a licensed version that you can insert a memory card. I for one would pay more for a quality unit. I guess I will always have my GP2X

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are patient/diligent you should be able to find a Nomad for around $50.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you play your games on the go with sound or intend to hook up the GENMobile to a TV, then absolutely not. The sound it COMPLETELY wrong compared to original hardware. Plus, it has a fair bit of compatibility problems with EA games and some of the more advanced cartridges like Super Street Fighter II and Virtua Racing. There could be other games that are incompatible, but I don't know what they are.

If you don't care about the games that are incompatible and would just play your games with the sound turned down to 0, then the GENMobile is all right. The GENMobile(and its RetroBit competitor, the RetroGEN) would be the only AtGames system I'd ever purchase, as I only use portable game consoles when I'm away from home, and since when I'm away from home, I'm in a loud environment, I turn the speakers down to 0, as the sound is inaudible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I did a review of this for Video Game Trader. It ain't bad but ain't great either. Like everyone said, the sound is just wrong. The cartridge slot can be a bit iffy, especially since there isn't a great place to comfortably put your index fingers. I had After Burner II error out on my because I was putting pressure on the cartridge. The action buttons are at a weird angle that makes playing games that use all three to six buttons uncomfortable. Plus, when you do press a button, the screen at that side tends to warp from the pressure until you press is gone.

If you can get past the above, it's a cheap and easy way to get your Genesis fix on the go. The games play right (save for the small screen and fonts and health bars looking squished, but that's expected), the screen is fairly bright and the battery life is pretty immaculate (and it's rechargeable).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never bought a clone because all of them seem to be rated poorly. Generation NEX, Yobo NES, Genmobile, everything. Also remember that it doesn't matter if its licensed by Sega. Anyone will grant you a license for the right price. Just go for a Nomad. I see them all the time on the local Craigslist. Hope I helped deter you from the evils of clones!