Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Launch Day Stories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I saved up my pennies FOREVER so I could buy a Dreamcast on launch day. I lined up the night before in pouring rain at a Toy Works (or KB Toys depending on where you live) under an awning that didn't really keep the rain away. There were about 25 of us in line all night and I was third. We had a great time and some dude came in a Sonic suit. He was probably nice and warm all night!

The next morning the line was up to about 50 or so and at 9 am on 9/9/99 the manager comes out and tells us that he will be giving out tickets to everyone, and then randomly drawing a ticket to determine who gets to be first in line to be "fair."

I was floored! Anyway, the 20th guy in line ended up having the winning ticket so as a result instead of being 3rd I was 33rd and that meant no Dreamcast for me. I was so mad! I haven't bought one since...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The only launch I was there for firsthand was GBC's Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.

There wasn't a queue or anything at the local Toys R Us, which surprised me. I walked in right as the store opened and asked for both titles. The clerk at the counter looked at me blankly and said they weren't in and they weren't sure when they would be. Fifteen seconds later in walks the UPS man with two packages bearing a return address for Nintendo of America...I got to buy both titles straight out of the shipping boxes. Freshest. Purchase. Ever.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, well I can't say this is the most interesting story. But here I go. (This happened today...)
    Well, I just got home from school, and I told my mom to drive to GameStop to pick up Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. (I've been waiting for it for about a year or maybe more) So we get there, and I ask if they have Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in. They don't. And it sucks. I was going to play this all day and they don't have a single one in. That completely ruined my day and to make things worse I won't be getting it for the next month or so... I know, this story just brings tears to your eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have gotten a Gameboy Color and Dreamcast on launch day. For games on lauch day I have gotten at least 50-75 games the day they came in, but the one that really sticks out (For games) is Zelda:Ocarina of Time Gold Edition.

I thankfully never have had any trouble getting anything that I have reserved. I usually just go in later on in the day when the rush is over and just walk in and get it.

Me and my friend both reserved dreamcasts and about 3-5 games each (That got expensive for the both of us) at a local toys r us. We just walked right in after we both got off school and got everything, no lines. We both though this would be the system to end all systems, but looked what happened to it. I traded mine in a couple years later and recently picked one up again, and love it more now than I did when it was released. (9/9/99)!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I have 3 different occasions. 1 from a different perspective...

OK lets take a trip back in time to the launch of GBA:SP. I opened in electronics at target alone. I pull into targets parkinglot at 7:45am to see an amazingly huge line. Living in Buffalo, NY seeing lines isnt to often (esp at target). So as im walking to the doors im counting, and there must of been over 75 people, as im walking in all I get are shouts "when are you opening?" "do you have alot of sp's" ? and so forth. So I go in and walk to electronics but...whats missing? Theres no SP's, and my manager walks back and im all goin crazy telling her we have none. So she calls some people from the back room and she tells me..."Looks like they never sent us any." O.O at this point I could of used a gun. So the store opens and people run in and lord knows I don't wanna tell these people we have none. Well the first wave hits and I bare the bad news and of course no one is compassionate...I get swore at and even threatened...BUT...im saved! they find 6 boxes locked up in the back...back back room, and im saved...saved from a near death...I pray to God that never happenes again!

Next was my Sega Dreamcast...longest night of my LIFE. 9/9/99 I remember I had off from school, so me, my cousin and 4 other guys we went to school with went to the local EB around 2am, and no one was there yet. When I told everyone how early we were going they laughed because they thought the DC would flop, but thank goodness we went so early. We brought 2 big ass coolers with pop and we sat against the wall being stupid and telling jokes. Around 4ish a van pulled up right next to the walk way and 5 older guys jumped out, opened the back and to our suprise had a small 13 in tv with a genesis hooked up and we took turns playing nba jam all night. So by 8:30 there was alot of people, probably 40-45...take or give a few, EB opened and we got our systems...unluckily for everyone else, because according to the manager, they were suppose to be shipped 10 boxes full but only recieved 2 which ment only 8 systems, 6 for us and the other 2 went to the van guys. We high tailed it out before things got messy.

Moving on to the launch of GCN...this one wasnt as exciting...went to toys 'r us around 8, an hour before it opened and there were maybe 20 people in front of us. My parents brought me because it was an early x-mas gift :P. By the time we got in there was probably another 20 behind me....so we all get in and everyone was happy EXCEPT the idiots put all there accessories and games out the day prior and sold out of alot of stuff, so i got stuck with luigis mansion and no memory card or anything else >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well let me add another story to the two I started with. The other launch day system I picked up was the GBA SP. However unlike my previous two, this one is very short and boring. Walked into Toys R Us around noon the day of, went to the display and picked up the system, paid and walked out. No lines, no hassel, no nothing. Can't beat that. Good stories above, keep them coming.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It was fun yet interesting...

I was at the launch day for N64, with my dad and my little cousin. It was fun. We stood outside of toys r us, for a couple of hours playing catch with these kids. And we talked about video games for a bit. While my dad complained about how gay and stupid this was, but he knew we were having fun. My little cousin had to use the bathroom but they wouldnt let him in so my dad took him to the side of the building and he peed on the wall lol. But all in all standing outside for a while was worth it. I got my n64, and a couple of games. It was fun!
    ~ Whats this button do? ...Oh it makes u jump...look at that..~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never bought anything on launch day, although I came close with the PS2. I had a gift card with $400 on it that I got for my birthday, but I was dumb and didn't preorder. So I had to wait until when they got more in stock, which didn't happen until early 2001. But I did have my SNES and access to my brother's N64 to entertain me until then, so the wait wasn't too painful.

The day before Halo 2 came out, I was at the GameStop about five blocks down from my house around 8 pm and they were setting up for the lines. I thought about walking down there around 11:30 pm to see how long the line was, but decided against it.

And yeah, bump for the newer members and those who missed this the first time around.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Forgot to mention that the gift card was for Toys R' Us.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Flack"]My PS2 Launch Story.

About two days before the actual PS2 launch, I made an Excel spreadsheet on my computer with every place in town that was selling them. Then I called each place and found out exactly how many they were going to have. The Wal-Mart by my house was getting 10 (I think), and the Wal-Mart in the town next to me was getting 6. The difference between the two was that the one in my town (Yukon, OK) is 24 hours, so they were going on sale at midnight. The one in the town next to mine (Mustang, OK) was an old-style Wal-Mart, that closes at 10pm and opens at 7am.

I was sort of excited about the PS2 but I gotta admit I fell into the hype when they began saying you might not be able to get one for Christmas. So, my wife and I went up to the 24 Hour Wal-Mart by my house around 10:30pm to see what was going on. When we got there we found probaby 50-60 kids all hanging out, in line, in the toy dept. I knew we were not going to get one, so we went back to the car and my wife asked if I wanted to go to the other Wal-Mart. I was like ... "I guess", I mean I wasn't DYING to get a PS2 but I thought we'd go check it out.

When we got to the other Wal-Mart, no one was there. I mean, no one. So my wife asks me if I really want one and I said yeah I guess so, so she said she would go home and get the lawn chairs and I should stand there and wait for her to return. The funny thing was, we got there around 10:45pm and Wal-Mart was still open so I just kind of stood outside the door. Then some employee came out and asked if she could help me and I explained that I was waiting for the PS2. She said they weren't selling them until the morning and I go, "yeah, I know." and she just stood there like I was the biggest idiot of all time. Then she says, "you're just gonna stand there until morning?" and I go "yeah" and she goes ... "ooooookay" and goes back in.

By 11pm or so my wife was back in the chairs and so we moved our chairs to the door and sat alone for like an hour. Around midnight this guy pulls up in a truck and goes, "you guys aren't waiting for PS2's, are ya?" and I was like "yeah" and he goes "well damn, I'll be right back." The guy came back 10 mins later with his chair and set it up in line as well. He was all into wrestling and video games, so until around 2am or so it was just the three of us, sitting out under the awning, talking and hanging out in our chairs.

Around 3am some more people came and everyone kept asking, "I wonder how many they're going to have," and I kept telling everyone 6, but no one believed me. There was this one big ass dork and he kept saying, "there's more than that but he's just saying that to try and get people to go home." I showed them my list but no one cared so I was like oh well, if you wanna hang out for 4 hours in the middle of the night, be my guest. Plus, my wife and I were each planning on buying one, mine for me and hers for her sister.

Around 6am, the line went from 15 people to 50. All these people started coming out of the woodwork. People with kids, older people, younger people, just tons of people. And I'm thinking to myself the whole time ... six PS2s. Around 6:30am the manager came out and said that there were in fact six ps2's (duh) and that they would sell them one PER address -- and they would be checking drivers licenses to make sure nobody bought two. I just about got mad but then I remembered that my wife got her license before we moved, so we had in fact two separate addresses on our licenses.

At 7am, they let us (the first six) in the store, and just as planned, my wife and I bought PS2's #1 and #2 from the Mustang, OK Wal-Mart. When I left the store that nerd guy was outside and offered me $500 for one of them. Unfortunately, like I said one was for me and the other was for my wife's sister and her kids so I had to say no. Then he called me an asshole and stomped off. Oh well.[/quote}

Lucky guy, I mean to have your wife there waiting with you in line. I actually am lucky enough too to have a girlfriend, (Future wife) that also would and will be waiting in line with me for future system release days.

As posted earlier, I have never waited in line before for anything, but think it would be so cool too! I will for the Revolution, and would for the 360 if I have the money. I just have to find a place that opens at 12 or starts selling them at 12 or something. I really don't want to wait for store openings at like 7-10 in the morning, but will if I have too.

GOOD STORY FLACK!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the GCN, DS, and GBA all on launch day through reserves. Nothing Special.

I remember some games being absolutely difficult to find on launch day. It took me three stores to find a copy of Diddy Kong Racing. Took me a whole night to find Harvest Moon for the SNES. It was also real frikkin' hard to find Kirby's Dream Land 3 on launch day.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="roxybaby"]I saved up my pennies FOREVER so I could buy a Dreamcast on launch day. I lined up the night before in pouring rain at a Toy Works (or KB Toys depending on where you live) under an awning that didn't really keep the rain away. There were about 25 of us in line all night and I was third. We had a great time and some dude came in a Sonic suit. He was probably nice and warm all night!

The next morning the line was up to about 50 or so and at 9 am on 9/9/99 the manager comes out and tells us that he will be giving out tickets to everyone, and then randomly drawing a ticket to determine who gets to be first in line to be "fair."

I was floored! Anyway, the 20th guy in line ended up having the winning ticket so as a result instead of being 3rd I was 33rd and that meant no Dreamcast for me. I was so mad! I haven't bought one since...[/quote/

Holy shit, the end or your story makes me pissed off at the store for you! Wow, I would have been so mad, and would want to kick the store managers ass.
    Well, sorry anyways!!!!!! (But you should have gotten one by now) I am guessing it pissed you off so much you didn't want one anymore??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two launch day stories. The first one was the 9/9/99 the Dreamcast. I had been stoked for months to get one. I really had my priorities screwed up back in college cause I actually went to class before I went to pick one up. Fortunately I went to this real out of the way walmart that no one ever goes to, and when I got there around 2PM I was the second guy to buy a DC.

The second story is the Xbox launch. At that point in time I was working in the electronics dept at walmart I knew how many we had and I had to work that night. So everyone that kept calling and asking about the Xbox I told them we only had six (which was true) and I told them we already had a line of 30 people (which wasn't true) It wasn't until about 9PM when someone finally showed up, at that point I called the house and told my dad to get down there right away and get in line! Dad was number 3 in line although he let everyone else go ahead of him just so he could use my discount card an no would have to know what I was up to. I pulled some dirty punches to get my Xbox but I got it.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Ulticron
    I pulled some dirty punches to get my Xbox but I got it.
    And it was worth all that trouble, wasn't it?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

joshnickerson said:
    And it was worth all that trouble, wasn't it?
    It's a great dust collector! Least you didn't bring up the fact that I used to go off about how it would be the next Saturn.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I bought a Nintendo 3DS at launch in 2011. I bought it to play Mega Man Legends 3. Mega Man Legends 3's development got cancelled less than three years later. I guess the lesson here is, "Never buy a video game console until the game that you want is actually available." However, I must say that these past six years, I have played a lot of good games for my 3DS and I'm glad that I own one.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I bought a 3DS at launch as well. I had gotten a promotion about a year earlier, and was making lots of money compared to what I was used to at the time, so I just bought it on a whim launch day with Pilotwings, despite having never been a fan of the series. It didn't win me over.

Fast forward to now, I've picked up a small pile of games to mess with, but I feel like it's only recently come into its own. At least I was able to get a physical copy of Cave Story when it came out, though I wish it had an original graphics option.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I got the PSP at launch day (late in the day not hard to get) N64 my folks scored for me for xmas (so not launch?) and we got OG xbox at launch with two games halo (had to convince parents cause we were young) totally worth it I had been anticipating for awhile. Most recently got the switch with a buddy on launch day (his switch I had to get mine this week) we were in line at 5 am