Thread: PC Game Collector's Thread - Rooms of DooM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC Game Collector's Thread - Rooms of DooM

First off, I don't mean this as purely an e-penis comparison, but rather something more specific.

Who here is somewhat actively collecting IBM PC compatible, physical games?

I want to see some heavy hitters here. So often you see console collectors with hundreds or thousands of games and threads dedicated to such achievements. But the PC seems pretty left out, on DP and otherwise. I want to see some serious collections of computer goodness! Shelves of boxes with computer specs on the spines, stories of how you got started or why you collect them... Not necessarily just "well I used to and I have a few games"

I started collecting PC games seriously in 2007 after I got a somewhat steady job. I had maybe 50 games from over the decades prior but mainly just the common games like Unreal and Need for Speed 3.

Inspired by rooms of doom on here and a new found love for what I grew up (DOS/Early Win PCs) with I got the idea I needed more I guess and things were cheap so I started on my first real collection: Maxis games on PC.

I now own every Maxis title up through The Sims and most afterward, almost all in complete boxes, which was no small feat.

In addition I have right around 280 complete boxed PC games and around 400 discs and floppies in jewel cases or sleeves.
    And I'm proud that the majority are hand picked for being awesome games and it isn't just consisting of every crapware disc I can get my hands on. The biggest problem is space to display this stuff, those boxes are huge! So most of them are packed away in a closet... hope to get a nice storage solution soon

And several hundred floppy disks unsorted, not pictured.

I am simply wondering... Who else is in a similar boat as far as collecting PC games in excess?
    Last edited by phreakindee; 02-06-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

Ill share.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Phooey, the pics in my old thread are all gone. Oh well, it was pretty modest compared to all this anyway.

...Aren't you missing the expansion for SimCity 3000, Mr. Phreakindee? I'm quite impressed by SimHealth, though. Are those two different versions? The boxed copy of Traffic Department 2192 also raises my eyebrows.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SimCity 3000 Unlimited and World editions are both on other shelves, they just weren't "big box" games so they are separate - along with many other Maxis titles (Full Tilt 2, Marble Drop, Zaark, Crystal Skull etc) that I do not yet have boxes to, just discs.

Yes, SimHealth did apparently have an alternative box, with a reflective silver logo. I don't know much about it, it is the only one like it I have ever seen.

And 2192 is another oddity. It was released as a "bargain priced" boxed game around 1996 by B&N Software, licensed from Epic - includes "Episode Alpha".

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Phooey, the pics in my old thread are all gone. Oh well, it was pretty modest compared to all this anyway.

...Aren't you missing the expansion for SimCity 3000, Mr. Phreakindee? I'm quite impressed by SimHealth, though. Are those two different versions? The boxed copy of Traffic Department 2192 also raises my eyebrows.
    Last edited by phreakindee; 02-12-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Lazy Game Reviews

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

That's a neat collection. I wish companies would sell games like this again, at least then the prices would be fine (instead of $60 for a DVD without a manual!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) bgreenlee's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome Collection.

Love the SimCity's. Is it a struggle to find these big boxes in good condition? (compared to console "cardboard" collecting?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both console and PC box collecting can be very challenging, but I'm inclined to say even more so for PC games. Mainly because they're so large.

I know when I was younger, my mother made me throw out so many of them because they took up all my closet space! I imagine many were in a similar situation, either being forced to due to someone's taste or due to space...you have the game, why did you still need the shelf box?

Condition usually isn't so bad, though I've seen some horrible boxes I've had to pass on. It seems that, generally, if someone's kept the box around they at least kept in storage so that it still looks nice years later. A big box may take up space but a smashed or torn big box is pretty much pointless.
    Last edited by phreakindee; 01-26-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Lazy Game Reviews

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't find too many older PC Games in boxes these days, but when I do I try to grab them. Even a some games I never would have considered back in the day look like trasures nowadays when I find them in their boxes.

I am approaching 500 PC games, half or so in box. I too had to pitch many boxes some time ago. The bigger loss to me was the many Commodore 64 boxes I pitched...

I started a collection of Games For Windows games a little more than a year ago and probably have two thirds of them. I think sub collections are the best way to go with PC Games.

Maybe I'll have pictures one day when I have a place to put them...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i collect PC RPGs. I have all the ones i sought out to find (you can read my list by click the mobygames link in my sig). all are mint/complete. im a huge fan of the 90s D&D games (post gold box/SSI). i have all of Black Isl, Troika games etc. i dont have pics because they are all in different locations throughout my room. the boxes are mint and fragile so i had to find perfect spots for them all and not just stack them in the corner of my closet. at one point i'll photograph and upload my collection.

while i dont necessarily miss big boxes for games (some were just as empty as today's smaller boxes) i DO miss [GREATLY] the big manuals and bonuses that came with some games.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 03-01-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really love that Maxis collection. A lot of memories come back just from seeing those boxes.
    My Import Game Store: Rising Stuff
    Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Playdia, Wonderswan, and a lot more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still like the built-in FxMercenary has, just appears to put you into the "zone" when playing a game.

phreakindee, I've seen your posting of boxes before. I really like the size of your collection, but the storage needs help. Seeing so many stacked on top of one another just looks like crunching in the works. Like the first picture, they are so nicely standing side-by-side and appear to be around eye level. Maybe you have limited space, but I'd look into some sort of shelving for it before edges begin to crumple if they haven't yet. Aside from that though, real nice.

I just started the process of moving and won't be done for a few months, but have one of the bedrooms set aside to make an office/technology room. It most likely won't be anything fancy or insane but at least finally have things really organized.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the storage is a huge issue at the moment and crushing is a concern for sure. I shuffle the boxes around every so often and have moved the ones without much internal support to the shelves or elsewhere. At the moment space to put a new shelf is the problem, but it's very high on the to-do list.

EDIT: It's been taken care of
    Last edited by phreakindee; 07-03-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Lazy Game Reviews

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry I was late to the party here, but I only just now noticed the new forum!

I own over 500 PC games now and prefer collecting them over console games because you can get so many of them so much more affordably, and these days most of the best console games get superior PC ports anyhow, so it's made it alot easier for me to continue collecting like I used to when I only collected for consoles. I can't afford to buy $50+ games like they're going out of style anymore, so one of the best things about collecting for the PC is there's far fewer $50+ new releases, and all of them end up around $20 after they've been out for a few months so it's not very hard to buy tons of them.

I also like the fact that most PC games are moddable, or at the very least it's usually easy to copy their music files for listening pleasure when not playing! Who knew that game soundtracks would become what they are nowadays? You don't even need itunes, just buy new PC games and get free sound files!

Anyhow, Roller Coaster Tycoon was the game that made me buy my first PC, and dwindling finances are mainly what got me more and more into collecting for it. I never expected it, but RCT caused a big boom in roller coaster sims, and being the coaster addict I am, I had to own every coaster sim available. Then I got into collecting budget PC games just for the sheer campiness of it, and ultimately I resigned myself to collecting mostly racing games after it became apparent that trying to collect every RTS ever made was way too expensive and pretty much futile, like trying to collect every FPS would be.

So I have this huge collection of crapware PC games just because I thought it would be sort of a big joke that anyone ever bothered to collect them all. With any luck, many of them will end up becoming rarities simply because most people never bothered to buy them, or they turned them into coasters after they bought them and found out they weren't really worth buying. I don't really care either way, I just figured it would be alot easier to amass a huge PC collection by buying up the worst of the worst while saving up for the best of the best and waiting for all the expensive games to be reduced.

Now if only the PC had a universal memory card save system for every game! I think that's the worst thing about PC gaming. You lose game data all the time, it's often impossible to find it so you can back it up before you lose it, and worse yet it's even more often useless to back it up anyway because the games won't let you restore lost data from a backup! It's been that way more often than not for as long as I've been into it, and I really wish that people would start bitching about it en masse like they do about anti-piracy schemes. We've been putting up with it for decades now, and it needs to stop! Why shouldn't PC gamers be able to use a standard save system that puts an end to what console gamers haven't had to put up with for decades?

Sorry I don't have any pics of my collection yet, but hopefully I will someday!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    Now if only the PC had a universal memory card save system for every game! I think that's the worst thing about PC gaming. You lose game data all the time, it's often impossible to find it so you can back it up before you lose it, and worse yet it's even more often useless to back it up anyway because the games won't let you restore lost data from a backup! It's been that way more often than not for as long as I've been into it, and I really wish that people would start bitching about it en masse like they do about anti-piracy schemes. We've been putting up with it for decades now, and it needs to stop! Why shouldn't PC gamers be able to use a standard save system that puts an end to what console gamers haven't had to put up with for decades?
    There's an application called GameSave Manager that does this. It saves all your settings and save files, as long as the game is supported. If it's not, you can submit an update so it is.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    and worse yet it's even more often useless to back it up anyway because the games won't let you restore lost data from a backup! It's been that way more often than not for as long as I've been into it
    I've... never actually heard of that before. Ever. Well, maybe some of the nastier old roguelikes and such that intentionally delete your saves when you die to emphasize the permanence of death. But most of the time even with newer games the saves just stick around in the program's directory following uninstallation.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I've... never actually heard of that before. Ever. Well, maybe some of the nastier old roguelikes and such that intentionally delete your saves when you die to emphasize the permanence of death. But most of the time even with newer games the saves just stick around in the program's directory following uninstallation.
    I have. Sometimes it has to do with file permissions, other times with missing files - you may have the same SAVE files handy, but another hidden file stored in god knows what folder might be needed. Hell, sometimes the games will HIDE the savegames and not tell you where they are.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Alone In The Dark, you motherf####r!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BasicConduct
    PSN
    SebasContheGo

Anyone up for a SIM game?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got really into PC gaming in the late 90s, around the rise and fall of 3dfx. While I kept all of my boxes, I threw out the cardboard formers, so a lot of mine are in BAD shape. I'll probably buy a cheap copy of Tomb Raider or Thief one of these days to get a perfect replacement former for my FF7 box...

As much as I love my giant PC game boxes, I have no space to display them. Right now, they're all boxed up in the closet and ripped to ISO. I'll take photos someday if I can get them on nice shelves or something, but I'm not even thinking about putting time into PC gaming until I can get through my console backlog.

The giant boxes and thick manuals were great, but nowadays I really appreciate the standard box sizes we have. They're shelf-friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I have. Sometimes it has to do with file permissions, other times with missing files - you may have the same SAVE files handy, but another hidden file stored in god knows what folder might be needed. Hell, sometimes the games will HIDE the savegames and not tell you where they are.
    Diablo originally obfuscated the save files. They were named randomly and hidden in the Windows folder. If you modified the files or changed the time stamp, they wouldn't load. I remember my hard drive died on my and I lost my games. After that I managed to find out the location of the files, but even then the backup copies wouldn't work when I tried to restore. Many years later, Blizzard released a patch that revealed the files and put them directly into the Diablo folder.