Thread: Famicom Disk System Help.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Famicom Disk System Help.

So I just got an FDS and the power supply that came with it isn't the original. The specs on the power supply that was pack with it are - AC: 100-240VAC 50~60Hz, DC 9VDC 1A, center negative. I'm wanting to know if this is the proper specs for the system and if it's ok to use this adapter on the FDS without damaging it.

*Update* - So for now I'm just using batteries in the FDS to run it and I keep getting an "Error 22" message with every disk. Checking around online seems to say that it's pretty much the belt or belt timing. I popped the top of the FDS off to make sure the read/write head was moving and it is thankfully, but very slowly. So what do I need to do to fix this? I've never owned a FDS till now so I'm completely stumped.
    Last edited by todesengel; 01-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HVC-025
    Input: AC100V 50/60Hz 9VA
    Output: DC9V 400mA
    Polarity: center minus (+-@--)

http://maru-chang.com/hard/hvc/english.htm (shame that it doesnt list third-party[but still Nintendo licensed] systems, AC adapters and accessories. All N. offical hardware is listed though[from Famicom to Wii.])

So, it should be fine.
    Last edited by Emteze; 01-24-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the info Emteze. Would the fact that the power supply I have using 9VDC 1A output be harmful considering that the official adapter is 9VDC 400mA? I'm just wondering if the higher amperage of my power supply would be harmful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should not have posted here. How does one delete a post?
    Last edited by Byron; 01-24-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The extra current doesnt matter, it might actually longen the lifetime of the AC adapter, because it doesnt need to output 100% power all the time.
    As long as the adapter meets the minimum original amount(in this case 0.4A) it should be fine(well, iam not completely sure when speaking about much higher current outputs like 500A, or similar compared to much lower needed current[for example 1A,] but on such a small ampers it should be fine.)

What really matters is the voltage, electric grid and the polarity, especially the polarity and network(using 100v only inputing adapter on 230v-grid will fry the adapter pretty fast.)
    Little differences in the voltages are no problem either.

It might be little untrustful coming from me, because i was just asking similar question about powering up the Twin Famicom a few days ago.
    Didnt really see any problem in my case either, i was just being extra secure, but AFAIK every Nintendo console has external power supply(excluding the Famicombox, Panasonic Q and similar,) so using non-original AC adapter with similar specs should be just fine.

Although i completely understand you're concern about not wanting to fry the thing up!
    Atleast i've never have had any problems with NES, Famicom or SFC using non-Nintendo AC adapters, which have had even little higher voltage output than the original AC adapter.

If you bought the FDS from even somewhat reputable seller, it SHOULD have compatible adapter for 100-110v network.
    Actually, the original AC adapters are sold for somewhat high prices too(for example, the Twin Fami adapter goes for 50-70$,) thats why sellers usually give non-original adapters with the systems, to make more money.

Check out lukemorse1's YT-channel, hes got very detailed video tutorial about how to fix the drive belt and adjust the head timing.
    Last edited by Emteze; 01-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks again for the help Emteze, I'll definitely check out lukemorse1's videos to see if I can't get the FDS running.