Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Man X Series

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega Man X Series

I think it is awesome how they are doing another Mega Man game for download via the next gen consoles...My question is ..do you think there are any plans for a new Mega Man X game?? For whatever reason when I was younger I use to hate on the X series...but my buddy lent me the X Collection for PS 2 and I fell in love with it...well done Capcom..What do you guys and gals think?? Any chances?? Is there any old school games you guys would like to see another chapter from.. How bout Double Dragon???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think they would all suck and wouldnt be good.And noone revives old games anymore! >_>
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 01-28-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Robot Vaudeville's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first three X games for SNES were great, but the series was plagued from the very beginning with taking itself too seriously, and it only got worse as the series went on...

I'm sure they'll continue to make more X games in the future, but I doubt they'll do it in the traditional SNES style, though I think it would definitely be interesting!

Insert Coin (Level 0) HyruleHero's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Vaudeville View Post
    The first three X games for SNES were great, but the series was plagued from the very beginning with taking itself too seriously, and it only got worse as the series went on...

I'm sure they'll continue to make more X games in the future, but I doubt they'll do it in the traditional SNES style, though I think it would definitely be interesting!
    You are defitnely right in stating the first 3 X games were great...I am currently messing around with 4 myself...and ehhh..it is okay...I always hated on the X series and have a new appreciation for them...Someone above said they got a little out of hand...I know the stories did....but it is a Mega Man game.....I mean Dr.Wily came back for what..almost 9 games...and they always created a new way to reincorporate him.. With Sigma,,,yeah..their stories were botched....but it is not so much the stories as the games themselves..Stories help you get more involved....but really the gameplay and stage by stage situations in Mega Man games make the game.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the X series needs to be reinvented at this point or just call it a night. I always loved the first two, didn't care for X3 much, liked X4 and X5, but what the hell happened after that? X6 took a walk off a cliff quality-wise and the series never really recovered.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I agree actually, love the first X game, X2 was good, x3 was nice, the rest... ok. I'm still hoping they make a X9. If they make X9, Capcom better put it on a disc, I hate DLC, I want a physical copy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone stops naming the good X games at 3. Dammit, my favorite is Mega Man X4. I almost never play Mega Man games anymore, but every year or two I crack out X4 again and beat it. I've beaten that game so many times, I have gotten quite good at it.

One of the things I like is playing Zero, who gains powers from each boss, but you don't have to rotate weapons to use them. They're all just techniques that are mapped to certain buttons and stuff like that. It makes playing as Zero so slick and seamless even when he's pimped out.

And the music and graphics are totally sweet for a 2D drawn game. The voice acting is horrid, but who cares? Just adds to the charm really.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The first Mega Man X is perfect. I would say Capcom couldn't have done a better job, but with Mega Man X4 it seems like they did, but not much as you can't really get much better than the original MMX.

Personally, I dislike Mega Man X2. The stages level design is nice but the bosses since they're so retarded, Capcom seems to have added to difficulty to them. Like taking well over half your health if you touch the boss itself, etc. It's just that you might just accidently touch the boss with 3/4 HP and in what seems one hit, from getting through from the rest of the stage, you're dead.

Mega Man X3 also used to be one I disliked but it grew onto me. The stage designs are good and the bosses are also fairly well developed. The last boss is a retarded as hell battle though. Sigma battles suck in general.

Now. Mega Man X4 was amazing. I loved the game. Like Snapple said, it's nice how Zero had attack combinations that you could just hit stuff like up+triangle, down+triangle, dash+triangle, etc, jump+square. etc. Zero does have one attack that you have uses. The one sort of ultra attack you get from Cyber Peacock. The cheap b rated anime storyline in this game was awesome as well. The only Mega Man X game that has a good storyline I think.

Mega Man X5. This is where the X series started really going downhill. The level designs were terrible. I hated the game. I tried playing it once more ot give it another chance, but still thought it was a terrible game.

Mega Man X6 was actually good in my opinion. It's regarded as one of the worst by most because of how difficult it is, but the level designs are somewhat good and not completely failures like those on MMX5 are. I also liked how you could customize Mega Man and Zero. You could do so on Mega Man X5 also, but not to the extent you could on MMX6.

I got to the first 3d part on Mega Man X7 and turned the game off. Haven't touched it since.

Played the first stage on Mega Man X8. Dunno how good it is though. Never went back to it.

--

Anyways. What did everyone think of Mega Man Maverick Hunter X? I liked it but overall it's much worse than the original. It seemed that Capcom was going to remake the entire series in that sort of style. Maverick Hunter 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc, but they just stopped after the first one. Atleast it's a solid title. Includes Vile as a playable character with entirely different enemy set up, etc. Definitely worth the money I paid for it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-29-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm glad someone agrees with me about X4. I would be sad if I was the only person who liked that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

X4 is X-cellent! *runs off*

I still think that X6 sucks terribly though.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love X4. It's probably my third favorite game in the series behind X2 and X1. And not all the voice acting was bad. I actually liked Sigma's voice a lot.

X3 was good but I like it less than X4.

X5 was decent. Nothing too special but, other than the stupid Guns N' Roses naming convention, it didn't bother me all that much.

X6 was pretty bad. Terrible stage design, uninspired everything, but for a game that quietly released just a few months after X5 I can't say that I'm all that surprised.

X7 is easily the worst game in the entire Mega Man universe. I was saddened. I finished it because I love Mega Man just that much but I had a frown on my face the entire time.

X8 turned things around with amazing success. I actually like it about as much I as I do X4.

Command Mission is a completely different game but if you ever desired a Mega Man X RPG then that's the game for you.

The GBC Xtreme and Xtreme 2 are good for what they are. GBC renditions heavily inspired by the first three games.

I'm just hoping that after Mega Man 10 hits Capcom decides to do Mega Man X9 pimped out in SNES glory.

Bit of trivia: Keiji Inafune wanted to end the X series with X5. One of the endings features Zero being sealed away. That was supposed to lead into the Mega Man Zero series. But Capcom had other ideas so one of the alternate endings with Zero not being sealed off became canon. In fact, by looking at the way the plot developed, you can see that X6 onward is somewhat disjointed and doesn't cleanly follow what was established in the earlier games.

X5 heavily hinted at X and Zero's origins and even made direct references to Dr. Wily which started out as little hints back in X2. It clearly gave the impression that things were coming to a head. But X6 onward dropped that completely which is awkward to say the least.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 01-30-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    matth35

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I think the X series needs to be reinvented at this point or just call it a night. I always loved the first two, didn't care for X3 much, liked X4 and X5, but what the hell happened after that? X6 took a walk off a cliff quality-wise and the series never really recovered.
    Im with you on that one. Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. I like 8 as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

No mention of the Mega Man Zero series for GBA? If playing Zero was so much fun in the X series, give his solo outing a try. The difficulty rating is pretty much up there, but it's not a bad series. I believe they're releasing a compilation of them for DS sometime soon here.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I just finished playing Mega Man X (SNES) for the first time in about 15 years. Love, love, love it! X2 was great... 3 was rather difficult for me and I never beat it.

X4 on PS1 was great. One of my favorites. After that though, the Mega Man X series seriously took a dive. Especially X6m which someone has already pointed out.

I would love to see Capcom make a new Mega Man X game in the 16-bit style. I think it's time. :-)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drewskiwannabrewski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cog scags

As much as I love the mega man x series, I don't think capcom could continue the franchise without making the games terrible. With the original series, I think it's a little different because there is so much uniformity among the games (1-6, 9 and 10 look exactly the same, and play virtually the same at their core) so creating countless sequels and iterations is pretty easy, not to mention the fan base is happy just being catered to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you don't count spinoffs like Xtreme and Command Mission, there are three "types" of X games. The SNES style, the PSX/Saturn style, and the PS2 style.

X8 was great so if they ignore X7 and follow X8 then they're in good shape if they want to stay new-gen.

If they want to pull a Mega Man 9/10 then they can go back to the SNES style. And with this retro thing being such a goldmine I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they did.

It's true that with only three SNES games as opposed to the six NES games of the original series there isn't as much consensus as it being the "right" way for Mega Man X to be. Just in this thread we've seen people proclaim X4 is their favorite or close to it. But few people seem to dislike the SNES style so it would still probably be well received.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Mega Man X is one of my favorite games of all time. I can put the game in the SNES any time, any day, and just beat it and have a fun time with it. The combination of being a quality game and nostalgia I get when playing is incredible.

Honestly, I wish what they did with the X series was make it kinda like the Mega Man series. Not a lot of huge differences between Mega Man 1, 2, etc...all of the X games should have been like the original Mega Man X, except with different bosses etc. The biggest difference between Mega Man X and Mega Man was definitely the difficulty. Mega Man X appealed to the more casual gamers, since it is much easier. I think they should have kept the simplicity of the original X.

That being said, I'm a huge Mega Man fan in general. I'd love to see another X game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The X games can be challenging, maybe moreso than the original series. Try beating Mega Man X without the armor, the arm upgrade, and/or the dash boots. It's very difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can't beat Mega Man X without the dash boots. You're forced to get them in Chill Penguin's stage. And if you didn't get the X-buster upgrade then Zero automatically gives it to you later on.

Though, it is possible to come up with a password that will start you off with Chill Penguin already beaten yet without the dash boots. I know because I randomly stumbled on to some of those "impossible" passwords. But it still won't help you much because I'm pretty sure you need to be able to dash in order to complete the Sigma stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I know but you can choose not to use them or use one of those hacked passwords to not have them at all. Some bosses are business as usual and others like Spark Mandrill, Storm Eagle, Launch Octopus are doubly difficult bastards to kill without the dash boots (and without using their weakness). The only boss in the Sigma stages that's a pain without the dash boots is the third level one.