Thread: Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Kelso, WA May 15 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Kelso, WA May 15 2010

It is with great news that I am announcing a great little game show that will be a fundraiser for a local cause. It will be called Cowlitz Gamers for Kids 2010. The show is Sat May 15th, 2010 from 10 to 6. It is the first annual fundraiser for Childrens Justice and advocacy center. After talking about it for years, I have finalized to get two rooms secured at the Red Lion Hotel. Each room is about 30' X 32'(960 sq feet ea.) and adjacant to one another by a small hallway. I got both rooms out the door for just under $500. Clean, simple, fun. This game show, Cowlitz Gamers for Kids, will be a fundraiser for Childerens Justice and Advocacy Center http://www.co.cowlitz.wa.us/prosecutor/. The center runs on donations, and helps work with abused children.

Initial Details so far: 100 percent admission will go to the Center, as well as any any additional donations vendors want to give. I will have room for about 20 6'x30" tables for vendors to start with. This will allow a space for a small game system museum and three rows of console play areas. There will be a small tournament on Mario Kart 64. The time of the show will be from 10 to 6. Expectations are to get 100 different people to attend. I will have 55 commerative atari carts with custom labels made for the first 50 people to dontate at least $5.00 to the Center(Admission will be donation of choice). 5 of the carts will be offered online auctions(a couple here and three on Atariage). Only two of the twenty tables are accounted for. One table will be for Classics(Coreys429) and the other for the Center.

This will mostly be an obvious local show, but for all who can attend, it will at a time that will not interfere with any other shows in the area. I welcome all members to this show, and would love to meet some of you in person.

The Red Lion is right off the freeway, and address is
    510 Kelso Fr. Kelso, WA 98626
    425-3296.
    http://redlion.rdln.com/HotelLocator...aspx?metaID=26
    Last edited by swlovinist; 01-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coreys429 not 26 lol, anyways This is something of his that he has been wanting to put on for a long time now. It goes for a good cause locally and I fully support the idea. It's not going to be a CGE but its going to be something local which people can get together and play the classics for a good cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on turning a great idea into reality. I plan to be there.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    Congrats on turning a great idea into reality. I plan to be there.
    Your devotion to our shows big and small is most appreicated. This one is going to be small but fun, I plan on having a nice selection of consoles out on display that will be playable.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i hope to be there as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I made a small video to show what the custom atari 2600 carts look like for to celebrate the event. 100 percent of any $$$ made from these carts will to the Childrens Justice and Advocacy Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0-GUiohtg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I just want to announce that the portland retrogaming expo has graciously financially supported this fundraiser event. I am very grateful to be affiliated with such a kind and generous group of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I have made 4 special Atari 2600 custom labeled standard carts that I will be auctioning off on this site and AA starting this week. These custom labeled carts look different than than the ones offered for people attending the show. I came up with this idea so that folks who could not attend the show could still acquire a collectible while helping a good cause. 100 percent of proceeds will go to Children's Justice and Advocacy Center.

Look this week in the buying and selling section around Friday of this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    loop006

Hey guys, I just buckled down on the stuff I'm bringing to the show, and my booth will be overflowing with retro goodness! Hope to see most of the NWCGE regulars and some new folks!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loop006 View Post
    Hey guys, I just buckled down on the stuff I'm bringing to the show, and my booth will be overflowing with retro goodness! Hope to see most of the NWCGE regulars and some new folks!!

I think I'm going to head down there myself. I just can't resist it... my summer overflows with retro conventions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    loop006

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    I think I'm going to head down there myself. I just can't resist it... my summer overflows with retro conventions
    Rad! hope to see you there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Floorplan has been set. Newspaper and Radio spots have been set. A custom trophy has been created for the Mario Kart 64 champion. The freeplay console area is going to rock. We will have some awesome vendors selling all sorts of videogames. If you are in driving distance, please come check this show out!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, I didn't hear about this sooner. I have been working out of town and have not been on dp much lately. I would of come up to be a vendor, but there is no way I could be ready in time.

But good luck with the show John. Maybe I can squeeze in time to bring up the family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

One Week Away! Anyone else in the Oregon, Washington area might want to check this out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    loop006

Can't wait!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) recycledgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a couple days until the show! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

FYI, I'll be tweeting live at the show from @RetroGamingExpo

Chuck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I really should be in be right now, but I cannot wait. I am hoping that the show can be a great start to having a possible annual fundraiser show in Kelso. I will see everyone at the show in about five hours!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The show went really well. A huge thanks to all people involved that made this show a success. I would like to thank the DP forum members who made and supported this event. PRGE staff were all present, which made the show run very smoothly. The show raised approximately 1,200 dollars for Children's Justice and Advocacy Center. There will be a show next year, thanks to the hard work of the Staff, and personnel involved. There was a great amount of product at this show! The Classics Atari Nintendo and Sega were definately represented. The custom labeled 2600 carts were sold through. I will be doing them next year. I wil provide a link to the videos of the show.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bummed i missed the show cool that you raised so much money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a great time at the show - and at the dinner at Los Pepes that followed it (one enchilada + two tacos + chips w/bean dip and salsa = delicious and happily full).

I'm glad that the show was so successful and I plan to be in Kelso next year. I'd like to thank the staff, volunteers, and vendors for putting this together and everyone involved for helping a good cause.

I'd also like to thank Brian Moy at Specialty Gamer for giving me rides to and from Kelso (he plans to post a feature on the show on Specialty Gamer soon), every vendor I purchased something from for the great deals, and Chuck (recycledgamer) for the pizza.

It was nice to see and chat with you all again (even if I didn't always say much). See you all at PRGE in September!

You can see a list of everything I acquired here.

A couple photos of me taken by Brian Moy:
    -Standing by the Video Game Wizards table
    -Playing in the second round of the Mario Kart 64 tournament (which was as far as I got)
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 05-20-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.