Thread: Intellivision Problem

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hippytipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision Problem

Hey there, I have a technical question with the Intellivision system if anyone can help me out a bit.
    I had aquired this system about a month ago. It powers up, and reads games no problem, but when the game starts it just sticks at the intro screen (where it says the name of the game, and has other info). Ive tried over different 20 games with it and they all do the same thing. Just can't get past the intro screen. Except one game, Donkey Kong. For first player it starts right up and plays fine. Except the second player can't move. I'm not 100% sure if its the controllers or something internal. Figured I would send post this issue here and see if someone could give me some pointers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it doesn't "lock up" at the title screen, it just seems as thought the controller are unresponsive an won't enter the game. Some games have a song that plays during that screen so that helps knowing that they are running right, or though it seems.

I read some of the posts here with people that had similar problems. Gonna open it up and do some cleaning, swapping as well like you suggested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you had 2 units it would be easier to troubleshoot.

The AY-3-8914 sound chip handles I/O, but isn't register compatible with the wonderful AY-3-8910 that we all know & love in the arcade world. The source for replacements is going to be another Intellivision unit.

It could also be bad RAM.

RJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK. Bought some circuitry cleaner /deoxidizer and opened her up. Cleaned as much as I could without breaking through the soldering to the main board. Kept it opened as I tried out the Soccer game I have. For some reason it started up and I was able to move around. Restarted the system and yet again can't get past the title screen.

Figured I would try out Donkey Kong again seeing how that was the only game I have that worked originally. Can't hit "1"....So I had to do 2 players on 2nd difficulty. Both controllers are actually responding to some degree. The only way I can move Mario is to hold down a jump button and press left. Not to effective:\ Did a controller swap too, same thing on both.
    I'm beginning to think this is a controller issue. System seems to be working fine.

Btw this is an Intellivision I