Thread: Custom ZELDA OUTLANDS Label, and others!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hewmanoid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Default Custom ZELDA OUTLANDS Label, and others!

I've been working on some custom NES labels, and wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thought!
    They are attached for your viewing. Granted, they are both scaled tremendously. They are both 300dpi to ensure very high quality prints.
    I will post more when I finish them. Requests are welcome as well!
    Thanks!

Pic1- Attachment 2775 Used Zelda I/II emblems for it, minor editing. Used a green box to follow the flow of the cover after Adventure of Link.
    Pic2- Attachment 2776 Used SMB3 styled art to go with the SMB3 hack that it is. Will play game soon and make another alternate copy.
    Pic3- Attachment 2777 Took pic1 and got rid of the box and put "Outlands" below the main logo.
    Pic4- Attachment 2778 Used pic1 and took out the hearts and put in a lantern and boomerang/heart. Not bad if I do say so myself.
    Pic5- Attachment 2779 Took pic3 and did the same thing as pic4. [props to Jorpho]
    Last edited by Hewmanoid; 02-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As soon as I read "Zelda Outlands label", I pictured some sort of riff on the original Legend of Zelda box. Yours is pretty good that way - though I'd have placed the word "Outlands" somewhere below "Zelda" rather than up in the corner.

Now, I'd have thought that a Mario Adventure label ought to feature one of the game's custom powerups, though it might not be worth making something from scratch that tries to mimick the official artwork.

Perhaps the SMB2 mario with the vegetable removed, and recolored to resemble Magic Mario, throwing some stars? Or maybe Kuribo's Shoe?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice label for Outlands. Jorpho- I think he's copying the style for Adventure of Link, it had that same green box in the corner too.

I never heard of Mario Adventure, I'll have to look it up.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are pretty sweet, keep em comin'. I was going to get into building reproductions once I get all the materials and the one thing I've been pondering is the labels. I would love to use yours. Any recommendations on what kind of printer / settings to use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just so you know, Gamereproductions.com does have labels for its versions of those games. Whether you'd actually want to buy from them is another matter entirely.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    As soon as I read "Zelda Outlands label", I pictured some sort of riff on the original Legend of Zelda box. Yours is pretty good that way - though I'd have placed the word "Outlands" somewhere below "Zelda" rather than up in the corner.

Now, I'd have thought that a Mario Adventure label ought to feature one of the game's custom powerups, though it might not be worth making something from scratch that tries to mimick the official artwork.

Perhaps the SMB2 mario with the vegetable removed, and recolored to resemble Magic Mario, throwing some stars? Or maybe Kuribo's Shoe?
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Nice label for Outlands. Jorpho- I think he's copying the style for Adventure of Link, it had that same green box in the corner too.

I never heard of Mario Adventure, I'll have to look it up.
    I was going for the Zelda II / Adventure of Link style, since the game takes place after Zelda II. Under the title would look nice as well, so I'll make a v.2.
    As for the Mario Adventure, I haven't played it, so I didn't know anything about it except for it being a hack of SMB3, which is why I used the SMB3 styled art. Thank you for the crits/comments everyone! It's greatly appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    Those are pretty sweet, keep em comin'. I was going to get into building reproductions once I get all the materials and the one thing I've been pondering is the labels. I would love to use yours. Any recommendations on what kind of printer / settings to use?
    I don't have any idea on a printer. I'd imagine a good quality one. Haha. I'm making my labels at 300dpi to ensure very crisp and clear prints. If it were a lot lower (92dpi for example), edges to some pictures might be jagged and not very attractive. I hope this helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hewmanoid View Post
    As for the Mario Adventure, I haven't played it, so I didn't know anything about it
    Then why are you making a label..?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Then why are you making a label..?
    I plan on buying it soon, probably from nesreproductions.com, but using my own label.
    Also, it's fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hewmanoid View Post
    I plan on buying it soon, probably from nesreproductions.com, but using my own label.
    I strongly suggest that you at least try it in an emulator first. As impressive as it is, it's a nastily frustrating game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

I strongly suggest that you at least try it in an emulator first. As impressive as it is, it's a nastily frustrating game.
    Will do! I heard the same thing. Haha. Then maybe I'll make another version if I find the current one I made isn't up to par.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I have one made from nesreproductions. I like the gamereproductions label better, but it's ok. The game is frustrating as hell. Good thing they give you unlimited lives. Your labels are nice, are you going to do one for smb2j? That's the next repro I will be getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like this new Zelda variation.

The only thing I for one might want to change is to perhaps make the thingies in the shield different, especially since there's two hearts as it is now - perhaps adding something applicable to Outlands, like the Boomerang or the Lantern. Since you can probably replicate something that looks similar to the existing art with any old Emboss filter, there's no issue like there is with SMB3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I have one made from nesreproductions. I like the gamereproductions label better, but it's ok. The game is frustrating as hell. Good thing they give you unlimited lives. Your labels are nice, are you going to do one for smb2j? That's the next repro I will be getting.
    Thank you! I'm glad you like them.
    If you'd like me to do a SMB2j, no problem. I'll try to keep it as accurate/realistic as possible. The only thing I want in return is a picture of it when it's done, and if anyone asks you who did it, give credit where it's due. Haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

I like this new Zelda variation.

The only thing I for one might want to change is to perhaps make the thingies in the shield different, especially since there's two hearts as it is now - perhaps adding something applicable to Outlands, like the Boomerang or the Lantern. Since you can probably replicate something that looks similar to the existing art with any old Emboss filter, there's no issue like there is with SMB3.
    That was the one thing that bugged me from the beginning. I definitely think I'll do that. I really appreciate your opinions/comments!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Attachment 2787If you'd like to use this, or anyone else wants to use any of the labels, just PM and I'll email them to you.
    Last edited by Hewmanoid; 02-05-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to bump an old topic, but I was just wondering if anybody knew of a site that catered to labels - weather they're retail, or for hacks/reproductions?

I don't wish to buy any, as I already own the reproductions, but I'd like to switch up the labels on some of them, by downloading them and printing them myself.

I'm just wondering if anybody has any more links to alternate labels? Like say this one for Mario Adventure:

Thanks for any help in advance.