Thread: Playstation Kiosk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation Kiosk

This is part find, part request on value, and part begging for more info, if this isn't the right place to post feel free to move

Picked up a Playstation Kiosk locally this weekend, pics are below. It came with a SCPH-1001 console that works nicely, marquee light works as well. On the down side the marquee plexiglass is broken in a couple of places and the rubber arms that hold the two controllers out are broken in half.

The unit has rubber feet and looks to be designed to be placed on a table, measures 31" high x 17.5" wide x 24" deep. Almost all metal and friggin heavy, got to be over 50 pounds. On the back there are built in power jacks for the tv and console. Sticker says built by the Beeline group, model #95107, another sticker has an 1-800 Sony number for technical support.

Does anyone have any more information on this unit? A few questions that are bouncing around my head right now...

- Googled around with various searches and couldn't find much info on this beyond a few kiosk discs for the Playstation. Would love a link or three with any more information on this thing.
    - it came with a 14" Sanyo tv that's rf only, tho pretty much any tv that size or a little larger would fit. Did these originally come with a specific tv or did the retailer provide their own? Thinking about picking up a Sony crt with rca inputs on the back to match a bit better.
    - the marquee is a funky size, about 18.5x5.5. Can these be purchased or fabricated anywhere? I may try a little electrical tape on the marquee and see how that looks.
    - are there any good wireless controllers designed for the Playstation? May remove the broken rubber arms and go with wireless controllers if decent ones are available.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by bones11; 02-01-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I worked at CompUSA a while ago. We had that unit but it stood on its own two legs. I don't really have much info for you other than when we got rid of it, it was tossed into the trash. I think someone took the PS1 home however.

Meh
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A gaming kiosk trashed, oh the humanity! Guessing it happens all the time which is too bad, these things are fun.

Small update, was able to put the marqee together by using electrical tape on the back side of the sign, reposted the first picture. When lit you can barely tell there are breaks in the plexiglass. Could probably live with it like this if a replacement isn't available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bones11 View Post
    A gaming kiosk trashed, oh the humanity! Guessing it happens all the time which is too bad, these things are fun.

Small update, was able to put the marqee together by using electrical tape on the back side of the sign, reposted the first picture. When lit you can barely tell there are breaks in the plexiglass. Could probably live with it like this if a replacement isn't available.
    I have no knowledge on the unit but was wondering, why couldn't you simply replace the plexiglass by measuring it out and getting a custom made new one? Can it not be simply swapped out? I feel like all of these units can be fixed with some money and unique ideas. I think it's definitely worth trying to refurbish it to perfect condition!
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could totally get a custom made marquee. Any recommendations on a good place for that? Would like to refurbish this, the unit is pretty basic and works, so that's right up my alley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bones11 View Post
    Could totally get a custom made marquee. Any recommendations on a good place for that? Would like to refurbish this, the unit is pretty basic and works, so that's right up my alley
    Good to hear you want to fix it up. I think store displays are some of the coolest parts of people's collections. But to be honest I've never even had one and know little about fixing them up. I'm sure people around here have some insight on the issue. What do you think you're going to do about the TV? I think it would be awesome to get a "nicer" TV as well, I know the PlayStation is RF only but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to replace it with one of the later units, right?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

It's missing the stand for sure. I've seen some different stands for different types, but those might have been dependant on their original homes or model #'s. Primarily the ones ive seen/experienced have two support arms holding up the marquee, not one. They came with different tv's depending on their size.

The PlayStation had no good wireless controllers. The first good ones were for the PS2 and are not PS compatable.

These kinds of things are worth 100-200 depending on condition and completeness. Remember, shipping is a BITCH and these things weigh a metric ton ( I can attest considering the DS kisosk I've got and the drama getting it) so that really can kill your ability to move it outside of your local area.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interesting, thanks for the scoop. I looked underneath the unit and there are some spots where this could attach to a stand. The big rubber feet on this look fairly official too, maybe the stand was an optional piece that most retail setups used? There aren't any openings to attach another arm to the marquee on this one, so guessing it's a one arm model. On the tvs were the ones you ran across all Sony or were other brands used?

Bummer on no good wireless controllers for the playstation, will have to see about fixing the rubber controller arms, maybe some gorilla glue will do the trick

I can't imagine shipping this, crazy, crazy heavy. Thanks for the estimate! Paid $80 and have a spot just right for it, sitting on a bench right next to the Neo Geo.

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own the complete version of this kiosk. I will see if I can post some pics later. Mine is on a stand and I am pretty sure they are the same if not similar

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, would love to see it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I'm always very jealous of the people who get kiosks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Goodwill had one for sale a few weeks ago for $60. It was the Pepsi adorned one but that was still too much money for me to be dropping on it. Plus, they didn't have the key to open the case and the PS1 was still inside of it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pepsi one is worth well over $60

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55 View Post
    Maybe complete but this one had no stand, was missing the top Playstation sign and had no key to unlock it. So Pepsi version or not, it was not worth $60 for an incomplete display with a PS1 console you couldn't get to without breaking the case.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55 View Post
    I preferred Crystal Pepsi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    See Cornelius, you give me reason to stick around here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Mmmmmm Crystal Pepsi, almost as good as Miller Clear. Which brings to mind the SNL skit which had Chris Rock pouring clear gravy on his turkey and mashed potatoes. Ah yes, the good ol' days of SNL.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!