Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    And she only spent a couple bucks on it if I remember correctly.

Also, this...
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141002
    And merged.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by xDanx View Post
    Comerically released theres also the special prize cartridges from nintendo isn't there?

Think its the "Nintendo world championships gold edition" and the tourament cartridge.
    The NWC was not a commercially released game. It was a comp cart.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's sad that all of my friends that know I collect video games have to refer me to that Yahoo! article. You'd think that I would've heard before them...but no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why when people see something like this...they take it to the internet boards and spread the word. I mean, it ruins the chance anyone has of possibly getting a good buy. Perhaps people bring these kinds of auctions to everyone's attention because they don't want to see anyone get a good deal on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I thought that Stadium Events, even CIB and in good condition was worth no more than 3k - 4k?
    It was last year, than some rich bid-happy people ruined it for the rest of us and drove up the prices.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Cornering the Stadium Events market is slightly less insane than cornering the SMB/DH market. And I've already met someone that expressed a desire to do the latter and bought every copy they came across. They're out there man... Way out there.
    I love those SMB/DH people......even more so, I love clueless non-gamer people who are willing to pay me $5 per cart.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    It was last year, than some rich bid-happy people ruined it for the rest of us and drove up the prices.
    About 2 years ago, the last time it was at auction it went for $7800. It hasn't been $3000 for quite some time, definitely more than a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's simple supply & demand principle:
    Supply = constant
    Demand = ^, due to increased # of collectors, awareness from society and desperation from those needing it for complete collections

If I had the money, I would've picked it up to ensure that I could complete my collection down the road. I'd rather have a downpayment + closing costs for a new house though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I hope the hype train initiated by the yahoo and boingboing article wears off. Leave my little hobby alone. >.<

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the new hot thing to focus on video game news. People who know nothing about the hobby find these sort of things crazy, so they have to write about it.

You'll see an article about someone's crazy collection within the next 2 months from the same writer, guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I don't understand why when people see something like this...they take it to the internet boards and spread the word. I mean, it ruins the chance anyone has of possibly getting a good buy. Perhaps people bring these kinds of auctions to everyone's attention because they don't want to see anyone get a good deal on it.
    That's the vibe I got from the NintendoAge thread. Also, since not many of us could afford or at least justify buying it even for half as much, there's no personal hard in posting it and it's becomes a "lets see how high it can go" sort of thing.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    People who know nothing about the hobby find these sort of things crazy, so they have to write about it.
    I know plenty about this hobby and I still find it crazy. I mean, c'mon, it's 13 THOUSAND dollars for an NES game. :P Whether it's a reasonable price for it or not, it's still crazy. And then there's the amazing story behind this particular copy and the owner who knew nothing of what she had. If this isn't interesting material for a game-related article, then I don't know what is.

Besides, it's not like this lot would've sold for 20 bucks if it wasn't posted on some boards and featured in some articles. I'm sure the people that really want the game and are willing to spend thousands are scouring eBay everyday for "Stadium Events" with both a title and description search.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I know plenty about this hobby and I still find it crazy. I mean, c'mon, it's 13 THOUSAND dollars for an NES game. :P Whether it's a reasonable price for it or not, it's still crazy. And then there's the amazing story behind this particular copy and the owner who knew nothing of what she had. If this isn't interesting material for a game-related article, then I don't know what is.

Besides, it's not like this lot would've sold for 20 bucks if it wasn't posted on some boards and featured in some articles. I'm sure the people that really want the game and are willing to spend thousands are scouring eBay everyday for "Stadium Events" with both a title and description search.
    The words "Stadium Events" were not in the title. In fact, I don't think they were in the description either.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So is Stadium Events worth more than a NWC 1990 cart now? To be fair, there was a system and other games included so the final auction price wasn't just for Stadium Events(take off $50-$100). It would be funny if collectors would try to take the position that most of the value was because of the other stuff that was included, only $3000 was for the Stadium Events and rest was for the other stuff. Anyone want to spread that around, sell off common games, and wait for the prices to crash to buy them back even cheaper?

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck ever finding this game in the wild ever again.

Once all of the yokels, mouth breathers, and flunkies who work at flea markets, Goodwill, and mom n' pop stores get wind of this article, you can bet that any copies floating out there are going to get yanked and tossed up on Ebay. If they do leave it out to buy, the price will get jacked to an obscene level.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post

$13,000 spent to cap off a collection is nothing for a hobby. We should be glad that our hobby is no where near as expensive as other, more mainstream collections such as cars, comics or baseball cards.

...that's not to say that it's an easy amount to come up with, but serious collectors will save up any amount of money to complete their collections.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    $13,000 spent to cap off a collection is nothing for a hobby. We should be glad that our hobby is no where near as expensive as other, more mainstream collections such as cars, comics or baseball cards.
    Though I do agree with you, I wonder what rare but otherwise completely mediocre cars, comics or baseball cards go for unfathomably high prices. Video games are unique in that, at the higher tiers, the most expensive games are noted sorely for their rarity and the particular platform. Who cares that they're often nearly worthless in and of themselves.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This auction is going to confuse alot of people. Even moreso of how it's being broadcasted all over the place. It seems everyone thinks that the system itself is what was rare when it was only that 1 game. In closing, everyone will go digging through their attics, pulling out the old nes systems and game bin and throwing crazy prices on it.

Don't be suprised if you see some $9,000 NES systems show up on your local craigslist or ebay in BIN auctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ye0ldmario View Post
    Don't be suprised if you see some $9,000 NES systems show up on your local craigslist or ebay in BIN auctions.
    You mean like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orginal-Nintendo...item414d010bed

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Wow, it's "orginal" too.