Thread: CDX vs. Genesis & Sega CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Default CDX vs. Genesis & Sega CD

Besides being more compact, does the CDX offer anything that having a Genesis & Sega CD together do? Is it better at reading the discs and how does the video output compare to the Genesis?
    Life is like a hurricane...

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

It's less-prone to breaking since it has a locking spindle, and I heard it has video and audio equal to the Model 1 Genesis. But other than that, it doesn't support the 32x very well, and there are a couple of games that are incompatible with the CDX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read about some problems on it's A/V out port related to the power supply and/or shielding issues (it's under the CD drive) where there is noise on the video output via RGB, though I believe this isnt a problem with composite video.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only correct answer is the JVC X'Eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Hey i rock a Gen1 and a scd2 and they have always worked fine. Model 1 cd took a crap on me a few years back though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    What? How is the CDX not at the same level as an X'Eye?

Anyway, the X'Eye is just the retarded child of the Wondermega. It doesn't even have wireless controllers like the model 2 Wondermega!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    Seconded. It's cheaper than the CDX and even has limited built-in support for some Japanese import games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Seconded. It's cheaper than the CDX and even has limited built-in support for some Japanese import games.
    What do you mean by limited? Limited as in it will play some imports without the need of a region mod? Limited as in it will boot imports but they will be prone to freezing?

Please explain, I would really like to know more.

As for the CDX compared to the Genesis + Sega CD, it is certainly a space saver, less cord clutter as it only requires 1 PS, and as mentioned above the locking spindle is a welcome addition. The downside is that for whatever reason, the CDX will not run the Terminator and Jurrasic Park Sega CD games. Both of them are excellent games in my opinion.

Other than that I can't say that I have any big issues between them.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    What do you mean by limited? Limited as in it will play some imports without the need of a region mod? Limited as in it will boot imports but they will be prone to freezing?

Please explain, I would really like to know more.
    I mean that it's cartridge slot is wide enough that all Japanese games fit into it(a problem that early Genesis systems have because they were built to only play whatever region games you bought the Genesis from).

The limited part is that it still won't play any cartridges that have built in region lock-outs. For instance, on my JVC-X Eye I can play every import game I have except for the Japanese version of TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. Once the Konami screen loads it freezes there. But for all my other import games I don't have any problems playing them. There are obviously more games out there with region lock-outs built in, but I don't have a list and it doesn't matter to me currently because I can play 99.9% of my imports without even using an import convertor. Thats one of the perks of having an X-Eye.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I just was kinda meh over the composite out on the CDX deck, and they are a pain to mod for svideo. A good combo would be a S-video modded early model 1 deck and a Sega Cd2, A Model 2 Genesis/Sega Cd 2 combo in conjunction with a 32X to help clean up the composite out, or a X-eye. X-eye is a great deck all around. I have two here, one I use, one as a spare. They can be modded easy for region switch and s-video too.

I have a spare 32X in the box, and a Genesis 2/Sega Cd 2 combo Im heavily considering letting go of. I dont need them, just taking up space. Thinking of selling them together in one lot maybe, and including a spare copy of Final Fight, SF2 Champ, ect. I also have a spare deck of the last Genesis 2 model that uses the Sony CX 1645, so it can be modded for s-video easily. Considering letting it go also. Just another deck I don't need and don't really have the time to mod. Anyway, not sure if you're interested in any of that sorta stuff anyway though.

You should figure out how much you are going to be willing to spend to get the desired results really too. A decent unmodded Genesis 1/Sega Cd model 2 set up will prob run you between $70-100 depending on if you get a lucky deal. X-Eye decks run about the same, sometimes a bit more for a loose system. If you're wanting a CDX you'll spend around $150 or more on average for a solid deck. I can tell you right now the CDX is the hardest to mod and repair of the decks, due to the compact size and construction. I'll never buy one again due to that.

If you want, take a look at this auction here for a boxed Xeye. The price is solid and it looks to be in good condition.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Xeye-Sega-CD...item3359f75ef3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

Ordered. Thanks for the tip.
    Life is like a hurricane...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    Good plan, enjoy. Awesome console and I'm sure it will bring you much joy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    Like Hellvin said, you will enjoy it
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I mean that it's cartridge slot is wide enough that all Japanese games fit into it(a problem that early Genesis systems have because they were built to only play whatever region games you bought the Genesis from).

The limited part is that it still won't play any cartridges that have built in region lock-outs. For instance, on my JVC-X Eye I can play every import game I have except for the Japanese version of TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist. Once the Konami screen loads it freezes there. But for all my other import games I don't have any problems playing them. There are obviously more games out there with region lock-outs built in, but I don't have a list and it doesn't matter to me currently because I can play 99.9% of my imports without even using an import convertor. Thats one of the perks of having an X-Eye.
    Ahh okay. Thanks for clearing that up. That's pretty cool I suppose but not a feature that I would make much use of. I have a handful of import Sega CD games but no import Genny titles.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Between the X'Eye and CDX it's a close call but I'd consider the CDX the better of the two. It's a lot nicer looking (arguably Sega's most well designed hardware) and actually offers something substantial with the compact design. You wont find many people to mod them compared to other Genesis models but this isn't a big deal since if you want the best video output you'd do well to simply use the native RGB (converted to component if need be). There are supposedly some incompatible CD games but I've tried them all on multiple systems and they seemed to work fine, though I can't say I played them all in their entirety. I did with Terminator (which is the big 'incompatible' one) and I went as far in Radical Rex as I could before utter boredom took hold.

That said I wouldn't buy an X'Eye or CDX, at least not at current prices since they've shot way up in the last year or so.. After all the absolute best solution is/has been/likely always will be a 1st generation model 1 Genesis/Sega CD combo. Anything else has some downside or another. It might be trouble with unlicensed/import games, annoying copyright screens, inferior CD BIOS music (model 1, model 2/cdx, X'Eye (lulz btw)), or even risking opening interdimensional portals in your home by hooking up the 32X.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    There are supposedly some incompatible CD games but I've tried them all on multiple systems and they seemed to work fine, though I can't say I played them all in their entirety. I did with Terminator (which is the big 'incompatible' one) and I went as far in Radical Rex as I could before utter boredom took hold.
    Great to hear someone else hasn't had compatibility issues. I was starting to think it was only me. Terminator runs perfectly on my CDX. Perhaps there are different pressings of the disk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

So, for those that have a CDX or a combo unit... just use a Game Genie. You can even play TNMT: THSH with the right code.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The problem is that not every game uses the same code and a comprehensive list of region locked games as well as their respective Game Genie codes hasn't been made as far as I know. I know that NBA Hangtime, for example, doesn't work on foreign hardware and I can't find a code to fix that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've owned two CDX units in my life. Both were aquired used but both worked perfectly when I bought them.

CDX number one quit playing CD titles after a few months. Sold it on Ebay as such.

The second one started to give me issues with the power... it would re-start with the slightest touch. Then the CD drive stopped working. Seems to be a reoccurring problem.

X'Eye all the way!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1st Post! I'm new here but been around the block when it comes to retro gaming! I've had my previously used CDX for over 2 years! No problems! It has a 32x always attached and I personally think it reads just a little faster because of the higher firmware version... Terminator works fine. I can't get Final Fight or Prince of Persia to work... But that's not THAT big of a deal!
    I also own a Model 1 Genny and a Model 2 Sega CD.... One less power brick! And takes us a 1/4 of the space! It's awesome!