Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need Your Help (Worst C64 Games)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That actually wasn't my top ten in Retro Gamer... well it was, but it wasn't my actual real top ten. And the list isn't in numbered order btw, it's just ten entries, so the first entry isn't considered #1. So maybe you didn't like The Sentinel. Countless other people did. C'est la vie. I despite Pirates for example, and can't understand why so many other people rate it highly. It's boring, repetitive piffle *shrug*

Infocom were matched by Magnetic Scrolls and Level 9, even if they didn't get quite as heralded. Activision's output in the mid 80s and later went a bit down the pan and quite a few of their better games from those times had origins in Europe to begin with. Origin's ports were not as good as the Apple II games at time, and had horrible loading in others. I've got almost all Synapse's games and sad to say, I think most of them are tosh. Sorry. I love Drelbs, Sentinel and Slamball though. Broderbund's output was a mixed bag; Karateka, Bungeling Bay, Centauri Alliance, Lode Runner, Wings of Fury good. The less said about some the others, the better. Lucasfilm? Maniac Mansion was revolutionary, and Zak better (which is probably why it got the nod into the RG list). I always felt Koronis Rift and Eidolon were over-rated; good but over-rated. Loved Ballblazer however. Labyrinth was a pile of tosh.

It is quite obvious to me you're a complete disk snob Tom so I don't take any offense. I've played thousands of C64 titles in my time and yes, lots of US originated titles. I more suspect in part you're like an American games version of an otaku (in that they believe Japan is better than the West) and you prefer perhaps more the style of game that tended to come from the US instead (simulations, RPGs etc).

I tend to prefer more arcade orientated titles, which quite frankly the Americans were often useless at compared to the Europeans, especially in the second half of the C64's life. All the good arcade conversions then came out of Europe. All the hardware pushing to get as much from the machine as possible came out of Europe. Games such as Turrican and Mayhem in Monsterland weren't just there to impress, they played well to boot.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy a good RPG or war game or simulation. I stuffed countless hours into the Bard's Tale trilogy, Wasteland, Project Firestart, Laser Squad, Storm Across Europe, Vietnam, Gunship, Project Stealth Fighter, Space Rogue and the SSI gold box games.

So please don't say I don't know many US games because it's a complete fallacy.

And now back on topic for this thread if possible...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'd remove Army Moves and Dragon's Lair, neither are sufficiently bad enough to warrant inclusion, just being more middle of the road affairs. The rest of the entries Flack I can't really argue too much about their presence.
    Army Moves is pretty low on the list ... thanks to all the suggestions in this thread, it'll probably get knocked off.

I'll probably keep Dragon's Lair on. It's not "terrible" terrible, but it's pretty bad when compared to the original or even the Amiga version, and I can say lots of funny things about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing the good list anyways, might be something Europe centric that really should go in there. Unless this is a more personal take on the games...?
    Here's the good list as it stands. I still need to cut it down to 32 titles, and there are 50 more I could add. I guess my caveat would be that I don't necessarily think that these are the best 32 games, only that they are 32 great games. Like I said, whatever gets the shaft this round will probably end up in "volume 2" ...

Archon
    Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior
    Bard's Tale, The: Tales of the Unknown
    Bounces
    Bruce Lee
    Buggy Boy
    California games
    Defender of the Crown
    Elite
    Friday the 13th
    Ghostbusters
    Impossible Mission
    Jumpman
    Kikstart
    Last Ninja
    Law of the West
    Little Computer People
    Lode Runner
    M.U.L.E.
    Maniac Mansion
    Mayhem in Monsterland
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Nebulus
    Paradroid
    Park Patrol
    Pirates!
    Racing Destruction Set
    Rally Speedway
    Realm of Impossibility
    Sentinel, The
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Skate or Die!
    Space Taxi
    Toy Bizarre
    Ultima (3 or 4)
    Uridium
    Wasteland
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

I'm not really sure which list to put Friday the 13th on. It's so bad, it's good!

Part of the deciding factor will also be if I can find interesting information about them and how well the reviews turn out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No gold box AD&D games on the good list? I lost countless hours to those and still go back to them today.

Oh, and I'd probably lose LCP. There's not much of a game there. It is a direct line to the Sims though, so if you are going that route with the reviews I can understand having it there.

I might also consider Beachhead or Beachhead 2. Tough call though, will have to replay them and see if I'm remembering right.
    Last edited by 98PaceCar; 02-08-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

There's a few surprising entries there and I'm not surprised to see a somewhat US bias, but it's probably what you grew up with I assume so I can't comment there really heh. I understand what you say about "Friday the 13th", it really is dog doodah to keep it mild. Maybe for the sake of sanity, it should be in the bad list

I'd pick Ultima IV over III, and I'd choose one of Maniac Mansion or Zak, not both. I'd drop Elite too; yes it's a classic game but the C64 version is not the best port in the world by a long shot, often slowing down. And I'd take Last Ninja II over the original; better gameplay, less frustration and amazingly, even better music.

Games not listed I'd consider would be Bubble Bobble, Mercenary, Project Firestart, Alter Ego and Armalyte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

All good suggestions. The "good" list may end up being harder to ween down than the bad list, truth be told.

I will probably move Friday the 13th over to the bad side, just to free up a slot on the good list.

@98: I had Hillsfar and Beachhead II on my list when I was at about 45 games. I may need to wiggle things around to get them back on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games not listed I'd consider would be Bubble Bobble, Mercenary, Project Firestart, Alter Ego and Armalyte.
    I always forget about Mercenary! That was a great one!

Not Hilsfar, PLEASE not Hilsfar!! I was thinking more along the lines of Pools of Darkness or even Curse of the Azure Bonds. Hilsfar was a great concept and bridged the gap between Pool of Radiance and Curse nicely, but it wasn't good enough to be on a top list.
    Last edited by 98PaceCar; 02-08-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Here's the good list as it stands. I still need to cut it down to 32 titles, and there are 50 more I could add. I guess my caveat would be that I don't necessarily think that these are the best 32 games, only that they are 32 great games. Like I said, whatever gets the shaft this round will probably end up in "volume 2" ...

Archon
    Bounces
    Bruce Lee
    Buggy Boy
    California games
    Defender of the Crown
    Elite
    Friday the 13th
    Ghostbusters
    Impossible Mission
    Jumpman
    Kikstart
    Last Ninja
    Law of the West
    Little Computer People
    Lode Runner
    M.U.L.E.
    Maniac Mansion
    Mayhem in Monsterland
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Nebulus
    Paradroid
    Park Patrol
    Pirates!
    Racing Destruction Set
    Rally Speedway
    Realm of Impossibility
    Sentinel, The
    Seven Cities of Gold
    Skate or Die!
    Space Taxi
    Toy Bizarre
    Ultima (3 or 4)
    Uridium
    Wasteland
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

I'm not really sure which list to put Friday the 13th on. It's so bad, it's good!

Part of the deciding factor will also be if I can find interesting information about them and how well the reviews turn out.
    Good list so far (except Elite, a real stinker on C64, but a British number 1 title in the USA, so maybe that's why it has to be on the list), also include The Castles of Dr Creep as a good title.

As for Magnetic Scrolls and Level 9 as good as Infocom, not by a long shot (But both include good British humour). A couple of good Scrolls games are Fish and The Guild of Thieves. Level 9s highlights are Snowball and The Worm in Paradise, those could be included in a good list.
    Last edited by tom; 02-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You guys have convinced me to remove Elite, even though it was a favorite of mine.

I always liked Hillsfar due to the lockpicking stuff. I also liked Pools of Radiance, but not sure I played Pools of Darkness too much. I may need to revisit one of those before finalizing the list.

Here's the retooled good list:

AD&D (Hillsfar, Pools of ?)
    Alter Ego
    Archon
    Beach-Head II: The Dictator Strikes Back
    Bounces
    Bruce Lee
    California games
    Defender of the Crown
    Ghostbusters
    Impossible Mission
    Jumpman
    Kikstart
    Last Ninja II
    Law of the West
    Little Computer People
    Lode Runner
    M.U.L.E.
    Maniac Mansion
    Mayhem in Monsterland
    Montezumas Revenge
    Nebulus
    Paradroid
    Park Patrol
    Pirates!
    Realm of Impossibility
    Sentinel, The
    Skate or Die!
    Space Taxi
    Toy Bizarre
    Ultima 4
    Uridium
    Wasteland

That's 34; need to cut 2.

(EDIT: I may "cheat" and do something like group Last Ninja I and II and Beach Head I and II together ... haven't decided yet.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    You guys have convinced me to remove Elite, even though it was a favorite of mine.
    I'd have to say that even if Elite wasn't the best version available, it was the best version available in the US and was still an amazing game. I'd put it back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you need to cut 2, remove Bounces and either Paradroid
    or Barbarian The Ultimate Warrior (even if it includes the delicious Maria Whittaker). Barbarian II is way better anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

wait is this to list the WORST games or the best games?

Im confused now.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Not having Dino Eggs on the good list is just a crime.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    If you need to cut 2, remove Bounces and either Paradroid
    or Barbarian The Ultimate Warrior (even if it includes the delicious Maria Whittaker). Barbarian II is way better anyway
    Paradroid has to stay. I like Bounces, but that was one of the surprise entries I noted earlier so being cut probably isn't so bad.

Did the Amiga version of Elite never reach the US then? Obviously the BBC version never was, the Arch version never did and neither did the NES version, all of which I'd rate above the C64 version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paradroid has to stay. I like Bounces, but that was one of the surprise entries I noted earlier so being cut probably isn't so bad.

Did the Amiga version of Elite never reach the US then? Obviously the BBC version never was, the Arch version never did and neither did the NES version, all of which I'd rate above the C64 version.

It did, but was colorized and lost a lot of it's character. It wasn't until frontier that I played anything similar in the amiga. Might be a case of not knowing better, but the 64 version stands out to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    The Human Race - Mastertronic game where you have to evolve. If you check Lemon 64...you'll notice there's only 1 screenshot of the game in progress. Because it's impossible to beat the 1st level. Your character runs so slowly, and he can't jump well enough to evade the multitude of enemies.

If you get the cracked version, they made a version where you can't die. So I've actually been able to play the entire game...and I wish I hadn't bothered. Each level controls differently, but none of them are any fun at all. One of the biggest turkeys I've played on the C64.
    HOLD YOUR TONGUE!

Human Race is one of my favorite 'little' C64 games made for the computer!
    I had an original, Non-cracked copy of HR, *Beat* all 5 screens, (cheated on screen 3 with a trac-ball; you kinda have to to save your knuckles), and highly dig the Ron Hubbard music.

As for crap C64 games, I'd go with Cohen's Towers, Mr. Wimpy, Frog Master, and the cart version of Congo Bongo.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    Not having Dino Eggs on the good list is just a crime.
    Agreed: just played DE for about an hour tonight via Emulator.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

legacy of the ancients and legend of blacksilver need to be on that list.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Of course two very underated classics are Portal (activision) and Star Fleet 1 (interstel), I would replace one of those with The Sentinel, which is an OK game, but not as deep and enjoyable as the two first mentioned.
    Last edited by tom; 02-09-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would also remove Mayhem in Monsterland, whilst probably a good game (I never played it), it was never for sale in shops. It was very shortly available in the UK via mail order only, but by that time the C64 was as dead as a dodo in the UK. They might have sold 100 copies overall.
    It's like the game Pondering about Max, which was a late A8 mail order only title.

Unless one might include mail-order only titles...
    Last edited by tom; 02-09-2010 at 03:49 AM.