Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blaster Master is back (Blaster Master Overdrive)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Blasting Again certainly isn't without its flaws, but I'd say it's very far from being complete garbage. I've never understood why it gets such a bad rap, especially given its extremely low MSRP.

At the very least, I'd take its remixed music over the music in Overdrive any day.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Continue feature... remixed music... no frog in the intro...

I like this already.

Is this the beginning of a trend of NES underdog releases? First we get A Boy and His Blob, now Blaster Master, what gets reimagined next? Crystalis?

There would be nothing, NOTHING better than a Crystalis sequel/remake. MM9 and 10 could suck it if that happened (and I I loved MM9!).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Just don't go into it expecting it to top the original Blaster Master, and you'll enjoy it.
    Blaster Master is one of the best NES games. I wouldn't expect most of what is released this generation to top it.

Hope it gets released in disc format though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's nice to have a new 2D Blaster Master after all these years, whether it sucks or not.

I'm personally enjoying it so far, but my thumb keeps hitting the A button while I'm moving (switching to the item you get after the first boss), and the placement of enemies is sort of poor (You have to get hit no matter what when dropping down to another platform).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil View Post
    It's nice to have a new 2D Blaster Master after all these years, whether it sucks or not.

I'm personally enjoying it so far, but my thumb keeps hitting the A button while I'm moving (switching to the item you get after the first boss), and the placement of enemies is sort of poor (You have to get hit no matter what when dropping down to another platform).
    Same here(when in char mode).

It's really sad actually, because the control sceme(mechanic wise, and feel) is "almost" on par with the NES BM game, but needing to use the crappy wiiremote as a wannabe NES controller totally turns what should've been a awesome control scheme(if we were able to use the classic controller), to a pain in the ass control scheme sigh.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just beat the second boss, think I've got a better idea of how it's going to play now. These bosses haven't been as hard to fight as the ones on NES, which is definitely good. I could NOT get through the original without savestates, but this is decent. I had an absolute blast playing through Blaster Master on my PSP, and I'd do maybe a level throughout the day at school and another before I went to sleep. This one should do well with similar pacing, and it's fun in short bursts.

Despite the numerous flaws, I'm going to enjoy this little Metroidvania. We need more games like this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Same here(when in char mode).

It's really sad actually, because the control sceme(mechanic wise, and feel) is "almost" on par with the NES BM game, but needing to use the crappy wiiremote as a wannabe NES controller totally turns what should've been a awesome control scheme(if we were able to use the classic controller), to a pain in the ass control scheme sigh.
    The fact I have to use the Wiimote as the controller kills the deal for me. If there's a demo, I'll try it with my B.O.S.S. remote shell to see if that makes a difference. NSMBWii is playable for me with that shell, but barely.

Yes, I'm a stickler when it comes to controls.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    The fact I have to use the Wiimote as the controller kills the deal for me. If there's a demo, I'll try it with my B.O.S.S. remote shell to see if that makes a difference. NSMBWii is playable for me with that shell, but barely.

Yes, I'm a stickler when it comes to controls.
    I'm at the 3rd floor boss already, and that's my only "major" issue with the game, so if you can put up with that shitty controller(note: the actual in game control/feel was amazingly done, It's just the actual controller that sucks to no end), you'll still really like the game.

PS. If I can locate a email link to them, I'm sure gonna email them, and hopefully they would be willing to make a patch, that will enable the classic controller(doubtful that they would even respond to the email, especially since they barely even have a site, but It's a shot).

Edit: Hm, evidently they actually have a forum, so I'll have to register(some of the developers agree as is, but they were supposedly rushed, so I think there's a good chance if enough people reply, they'll patch it, so we can use the classic controller).
    Last edited by Zoltor; 02-09-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

WOW, just found out about this, and I am so freakin stoked! Blaster Master is one of my favorite games of all time and now it's getting a sequel/reimaging?!?! The trailer looks great, can't wait to play this. I'm not expecting it to top the original, but just getting to play a new Blaster Master is incredible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Same here, I just read this thread. I'll have to look into getting this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have been content with the Wii remote only controls if it weren't for that blasted D-pad. Just like the DS Lite, diagonals are a pain in the ass to execute without mashing your thumb down on it with excess force. You really need the diagonals too when in the overhead caves. Strafing mapped to the B button is also kind of odd, but if you use your middle finger instead of your index, it feels more natural (and less painful). Still, the D-pad is such a P.O.S. with games that require diagonal movement. I hope Sunsoft decides to patch this like Konami and M2 did with Gradius Rebirth.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to play for a while and stream it, if anyone feels like watching...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nayusdante

I'll be in the chat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    I hope Sunsoft decides to patch this like Konami and M2 did with Gradius Rebirth.
    They actually patched a WiiWare game? What did they fix? Is it only fixed for new downloaders, or did the patch apply for those who already had the game too?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottw182 View Post
    They actually patched a WiiWare game? What did they fix? Is it only fixed for new downloaders, or did the patch apply for those who already had the game too?
    On top of the before mentioned games, Square also patched FF 4 the After Years as well(a few of the earlier bonus dungeons were pretty exploitable for super rare material, so they patched it to stop that).

Needless to say wiiware games can be patched no problem.

PS. Also note, once you download a game"you own it", so even if we had to delete this game, and redownload it, it wouldn't cost anymore money(however you didn't have to do that with FF 4, but I'm just saying).
    Last edited by Zoltor; 02-09-2010 at 01:06 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez, Area 5 is INSANE. I can't even get to the save point gate, but the other gates are so full of enemies that there's massive slowdown. What exactly am I supposed to do in there, besides GET BURNT TO DEATH?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Jeez, Area 5 is INSANE. I can't even get to the save point gate, but the other gates are so full of enemies that there's massive slowdown. What exactly am I supposed to do in there, besides GET BURNT TO DEATH?
    Sorry can't help(still on area 4), area 4 gates are annoying as is(with monsters alwast hanging around the door so It's a pain to get back to the buggy), so if It's worse then that, yikes I guess just keep trying until you succeed.

PS. OMG I finally found out where the Area 4 boss was hiding, but died on the boss, and now I can seem to get back up there(It's an insanely hard area to get upto) sigh.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 02-09-2010 at 08:27 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to watch someone else play through Area 5, because merely surviving would be amazing to watch. The save point seems impossible to get to without whatever item you get from the boss, and I can't even get TO the boss in whichever of the two gates I didn't finish.

It's one thing to put a gun power-up in the middle of a few enemies like they did somewhere in Area 4. It's another thing entirely to put one in the middle of so many enemies that the game slows down, because you'll get hit the moment you get it.