Thread: RetroDuo and PowerPak - CF brands that work?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bub_and_Bob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RetroDuo and PowerPak - CF brands that work?

I've posted this in the main RD thread without any response, so I wanted to try it as a new thread and see if I got any better responses.

I have a PowerPak and both a top loading NES and a silver/black RetroDuo. The CF cards appear to be generic (SimpleTech). The PowerPak works perfectly in the NES, but continually says 'card reading error' on the RetroDuo.

As the RD works perfectly, my belief is that there are compatibility issues with the RD and some types of CF cards. For anyone who's using a PowerPak on a RetroDuo, I'd appreciate it if you would post what brand(s) of CF cards you're using.

Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While there are some compatibility issues, the latest mapper pack has resolved nearly all of them. Make sure you have the latest and also try flipping the DMA setting on/off, as it affects compatibility as well.

Also, RetroUSB has stated the NES PowerPak will not work on clone hardware. This is from their site.

System Compatibility List:
    Works on authentic Nintendo Systems including NTSC, PAL A, PAL B, and Asian top loader and toaster systems.
    Works on Famicom using 72-60 pin converter.
    Does NOT work on clone systems like the NEX, Yobo, or FC Twin.
    Untested on portable systems, not likely to work.
    Unlike the NES PowerPak, he SNES PowerPak will work on clone systems.
    Last edited by goldenegg; 02-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmmm...

That seems like a tough challenge, wish i could help you. Maybe if we keep the thread going long enough someone with experience in these things will stop by...I know some people have gotten PowerPak carts to work on RetroDuo without any hastle, so if you get different error messages for each CF but both of them work in the NES it sounds like the CF is the problem.

Can someone post their brand of CF that works on the RetroDuo? It sounds like doing that--and making sure you have the current software on the PowerPak--should do the trick.

Good luck
    - Mike

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AtariKari View Post
    That seems like a tough challenge, wish i could help you. Maybe if we keep the thread going long enough someone with experience in these things will stop by...I know some people have gotten PowerPak carts to work on RetroDuo without any hastle, so if you get different error messages for each CF but both of them work in the NES it sounds like the CF is the problem.

Can someone post their brand of CF that works on the RetroDuo? It sounds like doing that--and making sure you have the current software on the PowerPak--should do the trick.

Good luck
    Are you sure you're not confusing the SNES PowerPak? The SNES unit works flawlessly on the RetroDuo. I've yet to hear of anyone getting the NES version working with it.