Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other than batteries dying, how have you lost save files?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Other than batteries dying, how have you lost save files?

Luckily I've never lost an important save from a vengeful sibling, but I have had other issues.

NBA Hangtime for N64. I beat the entire season and went onto developers' teams. My created character had perfect stats besides height and weight. I'd put months into it. Then, I came home from school one day to find that my dog had used my N64 memory pak as a chew toy. ARGH!

Mega Man Battle Network 3: White for GBA. I've messed up on this twice. Once, I let a friend's sibling borrow my game. I was promised that my save file would be fine, but then I heard that it was unintentionally overwritten.
    The 2nd time, I was extremely far, possibly twice as far as I had been before. This was years after I had lost the other save, and was over it. Then, my friend asked to see the game. I started it up and started a new file temporarily. I showed him a few moments of the game, then pressed A+B+START+SELECT to reset the GBA. Warning: soft resetting this game automatically saves it!

I've also lost sheets of paper that had passwords written down on them. That's always annoying.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raptor94k
    PSN
    raptor94k

I've probably lost a few save games over the years that I don't really care about anymore. I used to have an N64 memory card that had my Hybrid Heaven, Perfect Dark, etc. saves on it that I no longer have. But, whatever...

However, there are 3 instances of games being saved over that stick out in my mind. All 3 crimes against video gamedom were committed by the same kid and in total this kid has saved over approx. 130 hours of my life.

Final Fantasy IX had just come out and my little neighbor friend (he is a good friend of mine, 4 or 5 years younger than me, and we still keep in touch) wanted to come over and play it. "Just come out" is a slight exaggeration as I had already sunk 54 hours into it and was at the beginning/middle of the 4th disc. Gil, my aptly named neighbor, began playing his file and I asked him to come get me when he wanted to save so he didn't save over my game. He must've misunderstood me because in actuality he just saved over my game...

Since Final Fantasy IX was so new, I was not deterred by this stroke of bad luck and decided to start the game over. I was about 25 hours or so into it again when Gil wanted to come back over and play some more. I said it was okay but this time he better come get me when it was time to save so he didn't save over my game again. Apparently, I didn't make myself very clear...he just saved over my game...again...

Fast forward to Final Fantasy X being out for about 1 and 1/2 years. I borrowed the game from Gil and took it home to play it. After I was about 60-70 hours in, I realized I had missed one of the Al Bhed translation manuals that I couldn't go back and get. Luckily, Gil had it and I happened to have one that he missed. We decided to swap Al Bhed info. After we were done, Gil having deft fingers but deficient memory, thought his memory card was in slot 1. It wasn't...so he saved over my game...

Damn kid.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Once I pulled out Donkey Kong Land for Gameboy without turning the system off, my save file was gone. I can't remember any other saves disappearing, that's the only time I can think of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This has happened to me around 2 times, Once I pooped in Donkey Kong Country 2 to play after a long deprevation of DKC, I kept my 102% complete file in slot one so when I replayed it I would just use either 2 or 3. I was sitting a bit too far from the TV and I yanked the SNES controller which caused the game to freeze. No big deal, until I turned it on to find all my files missing...

Recently i was playing Chrono Trigger, got to Magus Castle and saved the game right before the battle with him. I then played for 5 hours straight and I noticed that everytime I would save, the stats and time didn't update as the ussually did. I brushed it aside, thinking nothing would happen, and then after 5 hours I died and the file select screen said I was still in Magus Castle....

I do remember recently a friend and I were trying to get all the pokemon in Generation 2. I had to replace the battery in his Gold version, and I just taped it in. We were pretty far, and we planned on battling. We had our teams together and were about to battle via Pokemon Stadium 2 and as he was about to put his game in the transfer pak, it slipped from his grasp tumbling to the ground. His file was erased. Our quest was abondened. That was a terrible day.

All of these instances were mainly stupidity.

I do remember my friend telling me back in the day that he had almost every pokemon in Pokemon: Blue Version and all he needed was the bulbasaur line. His older sister decided to start a new file on day and played for maybe an hour and said she just felt like playing. That must of been heartbreaking...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I loaned wizardry on NES to a friend who then called me to ask "how come your level 60 ninja and stuff are missing. is it because i turned the game off while they were in the dungeon?"

idiot.

i had a friend accidentally wipe out my entire PS1 memory card too while using his gameshark to copy a save of mine from my card to his....

and my sister overwrote FF7 with Crash Bandicoot lol
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES(only happens with the model 1 NES) flahing screen of death, and a 3rd party PS1 super memory card decided to delete all my saves(needless to say, I never used that card again, although I still have it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I remember accidently wiping my own Misadventures of Tron Bonne file (A file from when I finished the game the first time) when playing through a second time; accidently slipping on a button and overwriting my original save with one still pretty early into the game.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Only time I ever lost a save file was from using one of those 3rd party memory cards for PSOne. It's one of those cards that has 12 pages that you can flip through, went and changed the page to save a file and it wiped everything on page 1. I had a fully completed Castlevania SOTN file on there and I had just got Parasite Eve and was at the final boss and of course that got wiped as well. I still have the memory card but I never again bothered with the whole page switching thing and just got an official Sony card after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot about this one. Back in 2002, when I was ready to get a 2nd memory card (we were stuck with memory card 59's for quite a while, remember?), I saw a 3rd party one called "Memory Card 16x". Woah, 16x? That'll set my memory needs straight forever!

I bit the bait, and boy was it a mistake. I stupidly moved all of my data over to it, only to have it bite the dust and corrupt two weeks after purchase. I was pissed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I booted up Super Metroid on my Game Doctor SF7. I guess the GDSF7 didn't like my cartridge so it wiped all my saves.

As far as old games go, that's it.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I forgot about this one. Back in 2002, when I was ready to get a 2nd memory card (we were stuck with memory card 59's for quite a while, remember?), I saw a 3rd party one called "Memory Card 16x". Woah, 16x? That'll set my memory needs straight forever!

I bit the bait, and boy was it a mistake. I stupidly moved all of my data over to it, only to have it bite the dust and corrupt two weeks after purchase. I was pissed!
    I was trying to think if I'd ever lost any saves due to battery loss or otherwise and I had totally forgotten I had this exact same scenario happen to me back in the Gamecube days. It was probably even the same exact 16x memory card, though I'd say mine made it a month or so.

Fortunately I don't think I lost anything I would have cared about deleting any ways. Having a natural caution with anything 3rd party I used the original tiny Nintendo branded GC memory card for my active games and moved old stuff I'd normally delete to the 16x card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was the Memory Card 16x an Interact brand?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About the most I can remember about it is that it was black and stuck out a bit more than the normal Nintendo cards, I do remember it was wiped clean when I was playing Mega Man Network Transmission though.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many moons ago, when KBtoys was going out of business around here (last couple of days there everything 80% off), I bought one of those InterAct N64 GameShark Bytes that have cheat/saves for some games such as Johnny Quest 64 and Mortal Kombat 4...Basically, they are memory cards with a save already in them with inf health, etc...(Mine is for MK4)...One day while playing it, accidentally erased the card, but managed to find the save on-line and got it back with a N64 Dex Drive...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Many years ago I acidentally hit my SMS with my foot while getting up off the floor.

The game froze, which was extremely odd to me because at the time I had never seen a console game crash. After I reset the system my Miracle Warriors save files were gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

A power outage once caused me to lose a save file on Mario 64.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2001: Roommate moved out; accidentally ("accidentally"???) took my gray N64 controller instead of his. Mine had a 4x mem card with dozens of save files, his did not. He never returned it and I only saw him once or twice since in passing. Fucker.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to send my Animal Crossing character to another friends' town, but I mixed up the memory cards somehow. I sent my character to a memory card that didn't have a town on it, then it gave me an error, and told me to put my own town back in. I put in the card with the town I was supposed to be going to instead (I think?). When my character returned to her town, everything I had was gone. Even her face

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

A friend of mine had a lot of completed game saves on a memory card. So her brother starts playing one day, and somehow manages to enter the PS2 options. Format memory card: Are you sure? Yes.
    Really sure? Yes.
    All data will be lost! Yes!

Hey, where's all the date gone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Had my multi-page PS1 memory card die on me. Didn't have anything amazing on it though.