Thread: Road Trip to CGE and other driving questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Road Trip to CGE and other driving questions

I have a few questions about getting to CGE and driving in the desert. I am coming from the state of Washington and driving down. What steps would I need to prepare for a drive like this? I know the heat of the summer is really hot and I don't want my car to over heat. My friends are driving a RV while I'll be driving a Honda Hatchback on the way down. Any input would be great. Also who else is making the drive to CGE? Thanks for your time...
    Corey

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    I have a few questions about getting to CGE and driving in the desert. I am coming from the state of Washington and driving down. What steps would I need to prepare for a drive like this? I know the heat of the summer is really hot and I don't want my car to over heat. My friends are driving a RV while I'll be driving a Honda Hatchback on the way down. Any input would be great.
    Shouldn't make much difference provided your radiator and cooling system are in working order. Have your mechanic flush and fill your system and check everything out just to make sure. Other than that, just don't forget sunglasses for driving and bring plenty of water to drink (in case you do get stuck somewhere), but you should always have that anyway.

Also who else is making the drive to CGE? Thanks for your time...
    I've considered it, but it's quite a trip. (I live in the NYC area.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I am going through the whole car little by little. I need to go through and check things out but the reason I want to drive my car and not in a RV is my gas mileage is around 40miles per gallon or so.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

You won't really be in the desert all that long. I'd assume that you'd end up taking I-5 down through Washington, Oregon and most of CA. That drive will be pretty devoid of 'desert' (though the Central Valley can look that way in parts depending on the crops in the ground). Your time in the desert from there to Vegas will only be a few hours and as long as you're not running the AC at full blast while driving up a hill, you should be fine.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    You won't really be in the desert all that long. I'd assume that you'd end up taking I-5 down through Washington, Oregon and most of CA. That drive will be pretty devoid of 'desert' (though the Central Valley can look that way in parts depending on the crops in the ground). Your time in the desert from there to Vegas will only be a few hours and as long as you're not running the AC at full blast while driving up a hill, you should be fine.
    AC? Not in my car lol, I have a Pac Man cart from the 2600 holding up my window at the moment. I think that we are taking I-5 down...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lulz at someone thinking Corey's car has a/c. You should post a pic of your whip yo. It's mad tyte jdm hella flush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Corey!! I've driven down to Vegas a couple times to go to CGE,I prefer the East then South route,heading toward Boise from Seattle,then at Twin Falls head south on Hwy. 93,which travels the east side of Nevada,then meeting up with I-15,then right into Vegas.I can do this trip in 2 days,stopping overnight in Twin Falls,getting an early start out of there (about 7am or so),and arriving in Vegas by 6pm easily.I much prefer this route instead of the I-5 route,and the west side travel thru Nevada via Hwy.95 is boring as hell,and you have to do a lot of "slow-down" for this town,speed up...then "slow-down" for that town...then speed up again,really sucks going that way.The travel miles my route is about 1300 miles one-way.There's some open-boring stretches south of Wells Nevada,so bring some good traveling music to make up for the lack of intersting scenery,but it's not all that bad of a route. Rob
    The Gaming Guy...you know...that guy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I drove there in '98 we went south to Shasta and then southeast. There is absolutely nothing between Reno and Las Vegas which is about half the trip. We're tentatively planning to go through LA on the way down and a different way back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When planning a route, avoid the hills that have eyes...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...