Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a CDX AC adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to fix a CDX AC adapter?

when I bought my CDX, it came with an odd ac adapter. The wall plug portion is an original cdx ac adapter, but it looked like it was severed at some points and the portion that plugged into the cdx was a different type of plug. Despite this, it worked fine until lately. I pulled on the cord and now the ac adapter doesn't work.

I know the cdx still works as I tried it with batteries for the cd player portion and with a gen model 2 AC adapter for the cdx portion.

I want to fix the ac adapter. I plan on cutting the cord and soldering the cdx power box to a gen model 2 cord. Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google Sega Parts, I think its now Left Coast Games, and order a new one, they were available six months ago.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried using Sega Parts for a CDX adapter and when I sent a message asking if it was an original CDX they said that all they were selling were Model 2 Genesis adapters as replacements.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    I tried using Sega Parts for a CDX adapter and when I sent a message asking if it was an original CDX they said that all they were selling were Model 2 Genesis adapters as replacements.

the problem with this, as I understand it, not all CDX's like using model 2 power supplies (CD's won't play apparently)

as for OP, yes, you can replace the plug end going into the CDX TRIPLE CHECK that you have the polarity correct!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Logicdustbin View Post
    the problem with this, as I understand it, not all CDX's like using model 2 power supplies (CD's won't play apparently)

as for OP, yes, you can replace the plug end going into the CDX TRIPLE CHECK that you have the polarity correct!
    Yeah I was just mentioning that Sega Parts doesn't sell the correct power supply for the CDX, didn't want the OP to waste money and end up being sent the wrong part. Model 2 power supplies underpower the CDX and can cause damage to the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it works out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys,

I know this thread is old... but it's directly related to my simple question... hopefully someone out there has the answer.

I found an old Canon 150 AC Adapter... and as some of you know, has the same specs as a CDX AC adapter I believe. Now all I have to do is put the right plug/tip on the end of the new Canon AC adapter.

Here's the specs of the Canon Adapter:

Canon AD-150 AC Adapter Power Supply 9.5V 1.5A
    Input Voltage: 120V~ 60Hz 30W
    Output: 9.5V === 1.5A , + ----C---- -
    Pin Type: Round Barrel
    Pin Dimension: 2.0 x 5.4 x 9.7 mm approx.

Here's the specs of the Official CDX Adapter: (do they both match up perfectly?)

Sega CDX
    9.5v DC, 1.5 A
    neg --( o-- pos

Looks like the Polarity is switched... am I correct? Is there any way to change that with a new tip?

Does anyone know the Inside and outside Diameter of the CDX/Genesis 2/Game gear AC adapter tips?

here's some stores that sell what I THINK i may need... please let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-5-2-1-mm-Femal...item19beaff104

or is something like this better?

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...ame=DCA-52125J

thanks for your help!

-Retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

the tip is 1.7mm
    you can repair the cdx power pack as it has a 4amp fuse inside the power pack not like a genesis power packs that dont have fuses
    just take a pic of the busted power pack or send it two me and i can rewire it for you should not cost much take care you can see my feedback on asslember fourms
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ghlight=raylyd

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    Hey guys,

I know this thread is old... but it's directly related to my simple question... hopefully someone out there has the answer.

I found an old Canon 150 AC Adapter... and as some of you know, has the same specs as a CDX AC adapter I believe. Now all I have to do is put the right plug/tip on the end of the new Canon AC adapter.

Here's the specs of the Canon Adapter:

Canon AD-150 AC Adapter Power Supply 9.5V 1.5A
    Input Voltage: 120V~ 60Hz 30W
    Output: 9.5V === 1.5A , + ----C---- -
    Pin Type: Round Barrel
    Pin Dimension: 2.0 x 5.4 x 9.7 mm approx.

Here's the specs of the Official CDX Adapter: (do they both match up perfectly?)

Sega CDX
    9.5v DC, 1.5 A
    neg --( o-- pos

Looks like the Polarity is switched... am I correct? Is there any way to change that with a new tip?

Does anyone know the Inside and outside Diameter of the CDX/Genesis 2/Game gear AC adapter tips?

here's some stores that sell what I THINK i may need... please let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-5-2-1-mm-Femal...item19beaff104

or is something like this better?

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...ame=DCA-52125J

thanks for your help!

-Retromangia

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rayly you are the man! Thanks so much for the advice, and I appreciate the offer to fix it for me.

I think I will take this one upon myself to fix this, as I'd like to learn how to do this for myself, and help others as well.

I did not know the CDX Adapter has a fuse inside of it. I actually don't own the original adapter for the CDX, that's why I've been trying to hunt down a replacement. Now I think I've finally found one this weekend (The Canon), but I will need some guidance on how to splice in a new 1.7mm tip on the end of it.

Funny enough, on my lunch break today I stopped by a Goodwill, and wouldn't you know they had an old Hello Kitty AC adapter plug with what appears to be a 1.7mm plug... (how can i measure these things?)

So... I think all I need to do is A) find the right tip size for transplant. B.) make sure to keep the polarity in check with what the CDX adapter calls for.

If the Canon AC adapter is a different polarity then the CDX, can I fix that by soldering on the new tip a certain way?

thanks again,
    Retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could always just get a replacement from Radio Shack.

That's what I did with mine.

It's got the right specs, right tip and cost 15 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny enough, on my lunch break today I stopped by a Goodwill, and wouldn't you know they had an old Hello Kitty AC adapter plug with what appears to be a 1.7mm plug... (how can i measure these things?)

So... I think all I need to do is A) find the right tip size for transplant. B.) make sure to keep the polarity in check with what the CDX adapter calls for.

If the Canon AC adapter is a different polarity then the CDX, can I fix that by soldering on the new tip a certain way?

thanks again,
    Retromangia
    That Canon adaptor has the right voltage and amp ratings. Maybe you could take the CDX to local electrical supplier to match the two dollar plug? Voltmeter will confirm positive-negative wires. Simple two wire solder job.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used a Canon printer power supply for my X'Eye which takes the same supply and the CDX. What I did was to replace the tip with one from a model 2 Genesis power supply. I just made sure to swap the polarity when I spliced the wires. The nice thing is that the model 2 donor power supply had a problem where the wires were pulling out of the wall plug, so I was able to add that full length cord to the end of the Canon cord. That way I wound up with and extra long power cord.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

hey sell them here in the uk heres a link for them
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...4&TabID=1&QV=Y
    order code L47AY i can ship one if you want i have a spare one so you would
    it i can send it for free if you want take care.

Rayly you are the man! Thanks so much for the advice, and I appreciate the offer to fix it for me.

I think I will take this one upon myself to fix this, as I'd like to learn how to do this for myself, and help others as well.

I did not know the CDX Adapter has a fuse inside of it. I actually don't own the original adapter for the CDX, that's why I've been trying to hunt down a replacement. Now I think I've finally found one this weekend (The Canon), but I will need some guidance on how to splice in a new 1.7mm tip on the end of it.

thanks again,
    Retromangia

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CRTGamer thanks for chiming in... I've read some of your work over on Racketboy or Sega-16 I believe, and I gotta tell ya, your awesome dude. All your work is very comprehensive! Have any new articles your working on? Quick... whats the best SD CRT TV ever? the Sony KV-32XBR200 of course!

You know, I'm almost tempted to just buy one of those universal adapters, but I've come so far... I can't turn back now and go the easy route =)

I've got the right adapter, and found the right plug... All I need to do now is learn how to solder these bad boy's together correctly and I should be good to go.

And Rayly, You've been a huge help with this.... So fuckin cool!

Would you really be willing to ship me the correct tip for this? I gather you build alot of stuff yourself in the workshop?

I think I may have found the right tip in the wild today... so before you send anything (which is so nice of you btw!!), let me post up a picture of the spare adapter tip i found... and you tell me if you think this will work or not. It's a little smaller in diameter than the Genesis 2 plug... but only very slightly.

I'll have those up by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks guys for all the help!

-Retromangia

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One other thought...

Hey Jimmy Yakapucci!... I'm in the same exact situation you were in. I got very lucky this weekend and found the Canon adapter at a tag sale for $1.

I was wondering how you switched the polarity on the Canon AD-150 Adapter?

Anyhow, how does one measure polarity? Is this preset in the adapter "tip", or the Adapter itself, or just in the way you wire it?

What I'm trying to say is... if I splice in a positive rated adapter tip (say from the Genny 2) on to the negative rated Canon Adapter... will the Canon automatically be (+) now because I used a tip from a (+) adapter?.... or does the tip not matter... and it's all in the way you wire it? (So really any tip can have any polarity you want depending on how you wire it)

Man I'm really getting into this =)

- Retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. I have written a few more guides. Click my "Homepage" at my Name. Scroll to bottom at the CRT vs LCD guide for links to all the others.

But back to your CDX. If you already have that plug, see if it is a snug fit without forcing. Plug is tricky to solder if you never held an iron. Maybe practice on soldering two wires together first. Be sure you use small diameter Rosin-Flux core solder, its the easiest to work with.

Just switch wires to change polarity.
    One wire on each metal contact point.

Last edited by CRTGAMER; 09-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great stuff... glad to hear it's that simple.

How can I measure the polarity of the plug...Using a mulimeter perhaps? and what setting what I put it on?

Are the wires color coded in anyway?

Also, is there a way I can paste a picture directly into a thread without having to post it on flikr or some image hosting site?

thanks,
    Retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Voltmeter or Multimeter. Set to to VDC for direct current. If a dial scale just set to the lowest range that is above 10 volts.

I don't think the CDX would be damaged if polarity is accidently wired backwards. At 9.5 DC volts, analogy of putting six D batteries in wrong way in any electronic device. Just more of a headache de-soldering and reversing the leads. Alligator test clips can provide a temporary connection.

Don't forget to slide the insulated black sleeve up the wire before you solder, done that a few times myself.

As far as adding a direct pic, under the edit window there is a manage your attachments section. If not mistaken, I believe there is a total pic file size limit each member is allowed.
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 09-01-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok guys, I'm back.

sorry for the delay... what can I say, I'm a workin' man.

Here's some pics of the spare adapter tip I'm thinking of soldering onto my Canon AD150 Adapter.

This pic compares the correct CDX/Genesis 2 AC Adapter Tip to the spare I found. Tell me if you think this will work or not. Does it matter that the spare is missing the smooth yellow plastic edge of the Genny 2 adapter? The spare tip I found is kind of rough at the edge. Should that matter?

thanks guys!

- Retromangia

Attachment 3187

Attachment 3188

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks fine. Without forcing, is it a snug fit?