Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: turbo grafx 16

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default turbo grafx 16

i got a turbo grafx lately and i was just wonder what games i should get for it that are not to expensive thanks

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blazing Lazers
    Bonk 1 & 2
    Devils Crush
    Dragons Curse
    Galaga 90
    Legendary Axe 1 & 2
    Ninja Spirit
    R-type
    Splatterhouse

I think this is a decent starting list. No game should cost over 20, especially loose. You may pay a bit of a premium to get it with the case/box/whatever. The most expensive one on the list is probably dragon's curse. This is about the best I can recommend without throwing a ton of money out there. Don't expect to have much luck getting games cheap, it's one of the most priced gouged systems I have EVER collected for. I was extremely lucky to get a few forum deals for games, I'd definitely check the forums to see if some people have some of these common games they'd be willing to let go for a decent price.

Good luck and have fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

No idea on the cost of the American version, but I highly recommend Air Zonk.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    No idea on the cost of the American version, but I highly recommend Air Zonk.
    I second Air Zonk. The CD version is awesome too. Here are some more recommendations:

Platform:

Keith Courage
    Bonk's Adventure
    Legendary Axe

Shooter:

Blazing Lasers
    After Burner (awesome port of the Arcade - better than the Genesis version)

Beat em Up:

Splatterhouse (Must own game, great arcade port!)
    Vigilante

Adventure/RPG:

Neutopia
    Neutopia II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Bloody Wolf (arcade shooter), Tiger Road (arcade beatemup), Sidearms (horizontal shmup), Veigues Tactical Gladiator (you might hate this game) and Silent Debuggers (first person action/RPG) for starts. Those are all pretty fun games. Bloody Wolf is an excellent action game.

and Military Madness, the best strategy game ever!

in all honesty, nearly every Turbo game is worth picking up. Theres only a few iffy games... and they arent even THAT bad usually.

dont forget Keith Courage either. and China Warrior. They're required games. Its a rule!

also, alien/devil crush pinball (if you like pinball), power golf (if you like golf), and Davis Cup Tennis (if you like tennis!). Are all really fun.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There is no US version of After Burner, it was Japan only (the only TG16 Sega port to get released in the US was Space Harrier). Also, US Air Zonk is somewhat expensive, it's definitely one of the higher-priced US cards. Neutopia I and espeically II definitely can be pricey too. And China Warrior is kind of bad, in my opinion... cheap, but bad. It's so hard and frustrating...

Anyway, cheap games? Yeah, good luck. Expect to pay $10-$30 for TG16 games, and only very rarely under $10. Shooters are definitely the system's best genre; platformers are generally very simple, NES-style. Some are hard and frustrating too, just like NES games. Anyway, cheap(er) games... Alien Crush, Keith Courage, Bonk's Adventure, R-Type, Sidearms, J.J. and Jeff, Legendary Axe, Blazing Lazers, maybe Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, Dragon Spirit, Cyber Core, Devil Crush, Victory Run...

Neutopia and Military Madness might cost a little more, but are worth getting. Neutopia II... between the price and the long passwords, unless you have a TGCD or TurboBooster Plus (and thus have decided to spend a lot of money on this system), and can use the system saves instead of passwords (Neutopia I supports that as well, but its passwords aren't as long so not having it isn't quite as much of a burden) it may or may not be worth it. Bonk 3 and Air Zonk are generally pretty expensive too, and Bomberman '93 can be somewhat I think.

Really though, with the TG16 if you start liking it you will not be able to avoid sinking into a money pit. First it's just the US system, sure, and get some of the cheaper card games... but can you really resist getting a CD system? So many of the system's better games are on CD! And if you're doing that, a Japanese PC Engine Duo-R or Duo-RX is the best kind to get... and then you need to get it modded for US cards too maybe, and get an Arcade Card, and import games because so many of the best games are imports... and the multitaps, controllers (get some 6-button controllers for the fighting games, 3-button controllers for games with really awkward control schemes that use Select or Run as a button such as Forgotten Worlds...), etc... it adds up. Sorry, unless you really do stick to just the US HuCards, TG16 collecting is not cheap, to say the least. And while there definitely are a bunch of good US HuCards, there are so many great import titles too, and the Turbo CD had such a great lineup of games in Japan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayarb View Post
    I second Air Zonk. The CD version is awesome too.
    There is no CD version. There is a CD sequel, but that's a complete different game. It's like saying that Sonic CD is a "version" of the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It isn't.

For the record, the original Air Zonk is better than CD Zonk.

If you like Blazing Lasers, also get Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade.

Also, After Burner is only on the PC Engine, as were most of the Sega arcade ports.

I'm not trying to argue... just stating facts.

Keith Courage
    It's cheap... but I'd wouldn't say that it's good. It's playable, and that's about it.

To the OP: if you enjoy the TG-16, I highly recommend importing a PC Engine Duo (or Duo-R/RX). There are a ton of great HuCard (Turbo Chip) games that never made it out of Japan. Also, the Duo (or the add-on plus at least a System 3.0 card) plays both US and Japanese CD games and importing the Japanese Duo is actually cheaper than buying the American one, even WITH expensive shipping.

The Turbografx-16 is a bit like the Saturn in this way; buying a Japanese console is totally worth it.

As for getting an Arcade Card for the CD... it's not really worth it unless you plan on blowing hundreds of dollars on the couple of worthwhile games that support it. Get a Super System 3.0, and you're covered for over 95% of the games. The 32X is more worthwhile than an Arcade Card, IMO.
    Last edited by Breetai; 02-11-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    the only TG16 Sega port to get released in the US was Space Harrier
    Don't forget Fantasy Zone, Wonder Boy III & Monster Lair (Sega & Westone license) games too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I can suggest a few titles if they haven't gone up in price,but bewarn alot of ebay sellers price gouge for TG16 games these days.

Blazing Lazers
    Dragons Curse
    Cadash
    Neutopia
    Galaga 88
    Bonks Adventure
    Legendary Axe
    R-type
    Dragon Spirit
    Dungeon Explorer
    Bloody Wolf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

PC Engine collecting is no more expensive than anyother really.

Import duo-rx or just a duo-r (yahoo.jp for cheap ones! or Risingstuff.com!!!), play every Japanese game (get an arcade card for the measly library if you really gotta) and every CD game ever. most Japanese games worth playing are sooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap. Do a bulk order of like 30 games all at once, you're set for awhile.....

keep your US Turbo Grafx-16, play every US game.

rejoice.

i dunno about around you OP, but theres a shop by me that carries used TG games reasonably cheap like

10$ range cheap!

Most of what was mentioned is also pretty common if you know where to look

There is NO point in wasting the money on a US CD unit. For the price you end up paying you could get a duo-r or rx, which is a better machine altogether.
    Last edited by Arkhan; 02-11-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I share the same feeling here, Japanese games are a lot cheaper. You could buy a Japanese Duo to play all/most of the action games and only purchase US RPGs such as the Cosmic Fantasy series, Ys and others if you can't read Japanese. CDs are not region locked so they'll work fine on your japanese Duo if you ever buy one

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    PC Engine collecting is no more expensive than anyother really.

Import duo-rx or just a duo-r (yahoo.jp for cheap ones! or Risingstuff.com!!!), play every Japanese game (get an arcade card for the measly library if you really gotta) and every CD game ever. most Japanese games worth playing are sooooooooooooooooooooooo cheap. Do a bulk order of like 30 games all at once, you're set for awhile.....

keep your US Turbo Grafx-16, play every US game.

PC Engine collecting is no more expensive? You're a funny guy. Both system and game prices are jacked all over the place (no thanks in part to eBay whores) though for the most part PCE versions are cheaper than US versions, but still not dirt cheap like a majority of the 'good' NES/SNES/Genesis titles of the day. Pick the 'top 20' good huey or CD games, then 20 SNES games, and I guarantee the overall average cost is at least 50% higher on the TG stuff, probably more.

But it is an awesome system. A region modded Duo-R or RX with an Arcade Card Duo will play the entire US and JP libraries (except for SuperGrafx).

I do agree with going the Japanese Duo-R/RX route and I've had great experiences with RisingStuff (got a good portion of my games through them, and as you said, save your pennies and buy in bulk).

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel View Post
    I share the same feeling here, Japanese games are a lot cheaper. You could buy a Japanese Duo to play all/most of the action games and only purchase US RPGs such as the Cosmic Fantasy series, Ys and others if you can't read Japanese. CDs are not region locked so they'll work fine on your japanese Duo if you ever buy one
    THIS. Also remember that, regardless of which country your Duo is from, the black Duos had sound capacitor issues, the white ones (Duo-R/RX) typically didn't.
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Air Zonk is without a doubt pretty damn awesome and highly recommended. I skipped over that one because it's rather expensive. I think you'll have a tough time getting a low price on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it compatible with castlevania 3 and star fox?
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin- View Post
    Air Zonk is without a doubt pretty damn awesome and highly recommended. I skipped over that one because it's rather expensive. I think you'll have a tough time getting a low price on that one.
    Agreed. I held out for a 'deal' on that one (I wanted the US version) and it was one of the last games I got. I think I paid $35 for game+manual (this game didn't come with a jewel case).

I forgot to make some game recommendations...most of these can be had at reasonable price ($10-15 tops):
    Bonk's Adventure
    Bonk's Revenge
    Legendary Axe
    Ninja Spirit
    Bloody Wolf
    Ordyne (lots of people hate this shooter but I'm a fan)
    Neutopia
    Dungeon Explorer
    JJ and Jeff
    Alien Crush

If you think you'll end up with a Japanese PCE or Duo-R/RX, some of these games are PCE only, and some of them are available in both flavors but the US versions are more expensive:
    Download (awesome cheap shooter, PCE only)
    Air Zonk (PCE version is reasonably-priced)
    Street Fighter II CE (cheap, PCE only, make sure you pick up an Avenue6 pad for this one for <$10 usually)
    Splatterhouse (PCE version is reasonably-priced)
    Salamander (PCE only)

CD games (region-free, prices vary, typically more $$$ than hucard games):
    Lords of Thunder
    Gate of Thunder (US version includes the two Bonk games above, plus Bomberman)
    Cosmic Fantasy
    Prince of Persia
    Splash Lake
    Ys Book 1 & 2
    Exile
    Valis 2
    Valis 3

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all the ideas
    so is it possible to play jap imports on a us system?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

*sniffles*

I want a Turbo Grafx...

I even have games already.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFettHotep View Post
    thanks for all the ideas
    so is it possible to play jap imports on a us system?
    Hucards: No, you'll need to have a region-mod switch installed (some members on here or pcenginefx.com can probably do it) or a Hucard converter (expensive).
    CDs: Yes, there's no region-locking on CD games.

Since you already have a US TG16, a Japanese Duo would give you access to the entire Hucard AND CD library w/no modding or converter needed (except maybe an Arcade Card but the catalog of games that require it is pretty small). Just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    *sniffles*

I want a Turbo Grafx...

I even have games already.
    do you even have room for one? lol.

I think the turbo grafx is artificially expensive. Avoid ebay and its not that expensive at all.