PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFettHotep View Post
    where would be a good place to buy
    post a thread here about games you want

and try

www.pcenginefx.com

also, RisingStuff (japanese stuff)

youll find that if you ask real gamers instead of ebay sellers, youll get better deals.

Thats not to say ALL ebay sellers are idiots. Theres just a whole bunch of clueless types trying to cash in on the retrogaming market....and charging very off the wall prices for very not-so-expensive stuff
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favourites are:
    Aero Blasters
    Devil's Crush
    Legendary Axe (not two)
    Lords of Thunder
    Meteor Blaster
    Military Madness
    Super Star Soldier
    Y's Book I & II
    Most of those should be fairly cheap too. I have about 100 videos on the TG-16 too if ya wanna see:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/starsold...BC26B67A840017

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    do you even have room for one? lol.
    ....no. You're starting to sound like my husband

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Is it compatible with castlevania 3 and star fox?
    Drunken post of the week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    ....no. You're starting to sound like my husband
    lol. you should just be all like

THERES ALWAYS ROOM FOR TURBO.

and buy like 6 of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not only are Turbo/PC-Engine titles more expensive than the average retro game on average, but finding them complete pushes up the price difference considerably, for the Turbo in particular. Where nearly every other system (including the Japanese PC-Engine) has just a box/case and a manual and maybe, at worst, a spine card, most TurboGrafx games, including many CD titles, have a jewel case and manual AND an outer cardboard box. That outer box pushes up prices far beyond just the jewel case, never mind the Hucard.

Of course, I am one of those eBay whores, especially around the time I got my modded SuperGrafx. Sorry about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First -- about those outer cardboard boxes, best solution is to just not bother trying to find them unless you're a serious collector. It's just not worth the expense, and the games have jewelcases anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    Don't forget Fantasy Zone, Wonder Boy III & Monster Lair (Sega & Westone license) games too.
    You're right about Fantasy Zone, I forgot that one.

However, I wouldn't really count Wonder Boy III (Dragon's Trap) and Monster Lair because technically those weren't Sega, they were Westone... Westone developed them, Sega published and owned the Wonder Boy character, but Westone owned the code so they licensed it out to Hudson for them to make ports, etc... so they sort of do count, sort of don't, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai
    It's cheap... but I'd wouldn't say that it's good. It's playable, and that's about it.
    It's really not that bad, I thought... I had no expectations for it to be any good when I got my TG16 last year, but I actually did enjoy it. It is a little annoying sometimes, and there are some hard parts (such as the final boss), but there are workarounds or ways to figure it out, and I thought it was worth playing. It's definitely not a great game, but I liked it more than Altered Beast, at least, for sure...

To the OP: if you enjoy the TG-16, I highly recommend importing a PC Engine Duo (or Duo-R/RX). There are a ton of great HuCard (Turbo Chip) games that never made it out of Japan. Also, the Duo (or the add-on plus at least a System 3.0 card) plays both US and Japanese CD games and importing the Japanese Duo is actually cheaper than buying the American one, even WITH expensive shipping.
    Yes, if you're getting a single system, getting a Japanese Duo-R or Duo-RX and then having it modded is almost certainly the best way to go. It'll cost more than the basic TG16, but similar or less to the cost of one with a TGCD drive, and that really is needed if you like the system at all, so yeah.

As for getting an Arcade Card for the CD... it's not really worth it unless you plan on blowing hundreds of dollars on the couple of worthwhile games that support it. Get a Super System 3.0, and you're covered for over 95% of the games. The 32X is more worthwhile than an Arcade Card, IMO.
    If you're patient on EBay you can get Arcade Card Duos for ~30-40 and Pros for ~50-60...not too bad. Of course that's not counting game prices, and yes, the Arcade Card games are often pretty expensive, that is true. If you've got a modded TG16+CD or something, though, getting an Arcade Card Pro instead of a System Card 3.0 might be worth it, it's only like twice the price and you won't have to spend all that later.

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss
    Since you already have a US TG16, a Japanese Duo would give you access to the entire Hucard AND CD library w/no modding or converter needed (except maybe an Arcade Card but the catalog of games that require it is pretty small). Just throwing it out there.
    Just remember that the controllers are incompatible unless you change the cables, so you need a separate set of controllers and multitaps for TG16s and Duos...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Not only are Turbo/PC-Engine titles more expensive than the average retro game on average, but finding them complete pushes up the price difference considerably, for the Turbo in particular. Where nearly every other system (including the Japanese PC-Engine) has just a box/case and a manual and maybe, at worst, a spine card, most TurboGrafx games, including many CD titles, have a jewel case and manual AND an outer cardboard box. That outer box pushes up prices far beyond just the jewel case, never mind the Hucard.

Of course, I am one of those eBay whores, especially around the time I got my modded SuperGrafx. Sorry about that.
    PC-Engine games are ridiculously cheap all around. 8-15$ for stuff isn't really expensive. Every system has its expensive/rare stuff. The common TG and PCE stuff is comparable to the common NES/Genesis stuff....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PC-Engine games are ridiculously cheap all around. 8-15$ for stuff isn't really expensive. Every system has its expensive/rare stuff. The common TG and PCE stuff is comparable to the common NES/Genesis stuff....
    Not really, it's almost impossible to find anything beyond Keith Courage and sports games for $5 or less on EBay for the TG16, while on the NES, Genesis, or any other major older platform there are plenty of choices in that pricerange, either in total numbers or proportionate to the size of the system's library. There aren't many systems with as few cheap games as the TG16...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

O_o
    quit looking on eBay then. More often than not, the prices there are wacky. I mean I've seen Keith Courage go for 24.99 on ebay. It sold. So who do we blame, the sellers or the naive buyers...!

Look on forums, post want lists/tradelists.

A quick browse of Rising Stuff's inventory reveals lots of cheap PC Engine games worth getting, and the local shops around me aren't charging out the ass for TG games either for that matter.

7.95$ for blazing lazers in case w/ booklet?
    7.95$ for Fantasy Zone
    hmm 9.95$ for Rtype...

Military Madness was only 12.95 Bomberman 93 was same....

Call me crazy but its not that bad.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Just remember that the controllers are incompatible unless you change the cables, so you need a separate set of controllers and multitaps for TG16s and Duos...
    That's a good point, and just one more reason to go with just the region-modded Duo-R/RX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man where are some of you people looking for games. While yes the TG market ( especialy with the outer box) CAN be ridiculous..with patience/common sense there are still plenty of deals, even on Ebay. When you bring up the PC Engine games...I can count on a little over one hand how many games I have spent over $20-40 on (out of a collection of over 300 bought within the last 2 years). Of course there are bigger $ titles, but also a LOT of complete games (even the OMG IMPORTANT spine card lol) that can be nabbed for $1-20..mind you this includes GOOD games.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by nectarsis View Post
    Man where are some of you people looking for games. While yes the TG market ( especialy with the outer box) CAN be ridiculous..with patience/common sense there are still plenty of deals, even on Ebay. When you bring up the PC Engine games...I can count on a little over one hand how many games I have spent over $20-40 on (out of a collection of over 300 bought within the last 2 years). Of course there are bigger $ titles, but also a LOT of complete games (even the OMG IMPORTANT spine card lol) that can be nabbed for $1-20..mind you this includes GOOD games.
    hey finally! Someone else agrees with me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

[QUOTE=A Black Falcon;1683244]It's really not that bad, I thought... I had no expectations for it to be any good when I got my TG16 last year, but I actually did enjoy it. It is a little annoying sometimes, and there are some hard parts (such as the final boss), but there are workarounds or ways to figure it out, and I thought it was worth playing. It's definitely not a great game, but I liked it more than Altered Beast, at least, for sure...[QUOTE]
    Agree completely. It's good for a play-though... once. It's incredibly average.

Yes, if you're getting a single system, getting a Japanese Duo-R or Duo-RX and then having it modded is almost certainly the best way to go. It'll cost more than the basic TG16, but similar or less to the cost of one with a TGCD drive, and that really is needed if you like the system at all, so yeah.
    A Core Grafx/Super CD-ROM2 add-on is similarly priced and every bit as reliable as a Duo-R/RX. Sometimes the original Duo can be had for a bit cheaper, so that is something to consider; especially if you know how to solder in case you need to replace the sound capacitors. My Duo has been working absolutely fine, and it was originally bought in 1993 (I have the receipt).

If you're patient on EBay you can get Arcade Card Duos for ~30-40 and Pros for ~50-60...not too bad.
    Really? In that case, I'll happily sell you a Pro for $49. Just ask!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    Agree completely. It's good for a play-though... once. It's incredibly average.
    I meant the Genesis version of Altered Beast, to be clear -- haven't played the PCE or PCECD versions. But anyway, sure, Keith Courage is average, only slightly above average at best. They should have made Blazing Lazers the pack-in. (I know some people would prefer Legendary Axe, but I don't like that game any more than Keith Courage really... the game's a lot like Astyanax on the NES, and I'm not a huge fan of Astyanax.)

A Core Grafx/Super CD-ROM2 add-on is similarly priced and every bit as reliable as a Duo-R/RX. Sometimes the original Duo can be had for a bit cheaper, so that is something to consider; especially if you know how to solder in case you need to replace the sound capacitors. My Duo has been working absolutely fine, and it was originally bought in 1993 (I have the receipt).
    Well sure, if you can solder and know how to replace capacitors, a Duo's just as good as an R or RX. But for anyone else (like me), it could be a iffy choice...

Of course, I ended up getting a TGCD and those things have their own serious problems with those irreplaceable gears, so I shouldn't be one to talk... and yes, the prices for those are probably actually a bit less on average than Duo-R or Duo-RX prices, even if you also pay for a mod for your TG16, mostly because of the huge shipping costs for systems from Japan. At worst the price would be similar, but yeah, TGCD prices are likely to be a little less, though they definitely are not cheap -- $130 at least for sure, I think, unless you get lucky.

But anyway, if not for that gear stripping problem, yeah I would say that the modded TG16+TGCD+arcade card pro route would be just as good as the modded Duo R or RX+arcade card duo route...

Really? In that case, I'll happily sell you a Pro for $49. Just ask!
    Whenever I get my TGCD laser replaced (the laser is dead. No, not the irreplaceable gear, the replaceable laser) and then get my TG16 modded, then I'll need an arcade card...

I really need to get that laser, and there are good instructions for how to do it on pcenginefx.com's forum, but I'll definitely need some soldering help for a few parts, and I can't do that myself... I might know who to ask for help, but that (and the $~40 or whatever cost of the laser replacement) has gotten me to put it off for a while. I do need to get to it though...

Oh, as for HuCard game prices, I have avoided spending over about $12 for games, which is why I've only bought like five or six games on ebay in the past year. There aren't many games listed for TG16 in the first place, and the prices usually go over $10 if people start bidding on them. TG16 games are somewhat rare, considering, so they really aren't that cheap apart from the very least interesting titles like those sports games...

Japanese games are definitely cheaper than US ones, though, so if you have an import or modded system getting import titles is a really good idea. Relative few TG16 games actually have enough script for language to matter, really... though having US versions is nice for some games, for sure. With that and how much rarer than the Japanese versions they are, it's easy to understand why US HuCard prices are higher.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 02-14-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

yikes. 49$ for an AC Pro is kinda high from what I remember. Are we goin off ebay prices again?

The upside to getting a .jp CoreGrafx/CDROM addon is that System card 3 in Japan is retarded cheap whereas the US one is as much as the friggin system itself.

but if you're going to spend on the imports, might as well get a duo-r or rx. Nicer unit (smaller footprint), neat hucard door, and its lighter so you save on shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah $50 for either Arcade card is a bit high...hit japan (and others) have em fairly regularly for $20-40.

Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-Card-DUO-...item3efcebbe1a
    Last edited by nectarsis; 02-14-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Who are you buying your games from? As far as hueys go, I have about 40/40 (TG16/PCE), the majority of the PCEs from RS (arguably one of the more reasonably-priced sellers), a couple from pcenginefx members and a few from eBay (including Toshi, who's a great guy that everyone loves, but 9/10 of the time prices higher than RS). Very few were under the $10 mark, most were between $10-20, and about 1/2 dozen were over $20 (not including shipping). All were complete (huey/sleeve/case/manual) and I think only one had the spine card (SF2CE).

Compared to NES/SNES/Genny (that was the original statement) where you can easily find a cheap lot with at least a few good titles included pretty much any day of the week on eBay, Craigslist, etc (granted, it's easier to get a manual included with the PCE stuff compared to American NES/SNES, the Japanese seem to take much better care of their stuff than we do). And let's not even get into the CD titles, which are mostly priced even higher than the hueys.

If the argument is that there are less TG/PCE 'deals' because there are less TG/PCE sellers, I can agree with that. But you can't really believe that the same dollar amount with go as far with TG/PCE as it would with SNES/Genny carts, or especially NES carts. You may have gotten most of your games under $20, over a period of time, but there are very few 'excellent' NES/SNES titles that can't be had for under $15 (or $10 even) pretty much anytime, except for some of the RPGs (FF, CT, Earthbound, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    A Core Grafx/Super CD-ROM2 add-on is similarly priced and every bit as reliable as a Duo-R/RX.
    Duo-RX is sexier though.

Yeah $50 for either Arcade card is a bit high...hit japan (and others) have em fairly regularly for $20-40.
    I think RisingStuff sells the AC Duo for like $12. The Pro is a bit more.
    Last edited by jperryss; 02-14-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for where I get my games; a handful on PCEFX, some from RS (not anymore), but a VAST majority from good old Ebay.

Of course there will be more "cheap" games for systems that dominated the marketplace (NES, SNES) that's common sense...though quantity does also bring in a LOT more crap in the mix.

My point was all these people that seem to think the PCE is SO expensive obviously need to look around a bit more. Of course the TG market (especially complete/boxed) can be retardedly high $ at times, even that as a whole seems to be better than a year or so ago.

Also the only games for the Arcade Card that's pricey really are Sapphire, Madou Monogatari, and Strider. All the rest can easily be nabbed cheap (as well as a majority of the bi-compatible titles).

P.S. Anyone that seems to think the PCE cd/TG cd is as reliable as a DUO R/RX..I call sheananigans. While the DUO does have cap issues, it's fairly cheap/easy fix (and plenty of people on various forums know how to do it also)...the R/RX are less prone. The DUO's also don't have a gear that one day just up's and decides to shred itself off (that as far as I've ever seen is next to impossible to replace these days).
    Last edited by nectarsis; 02-14-2010 at 06:41 PM.