Thread: Document of Metal Gear Solid 2?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Document of Metal Gear Solid 2?

I've had a duplicate complete copy of Document of Metal Gear Solid for PlayStation 2 that I've been trying to price for sale for quite a while. I was under the impression that the game was semi-rare if not rare. But every time I've tried to sell it to someone, I always get what I feel are lowball offers. What is this game worth?
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A quick eBay search sees it ending in "completed listings" for anywhere from 21.00-30.00. there are a few listed right now with no bids in the 28$ range.

Not to get off topic but there seems to be less and less "auctioning" on eBay, and this game seems to follow that with all available auctions being a fixed price listing. Who knows, maybe listing it as an actual item people can bid on will get you up to the price that you are looking for (which is?).
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely gone down in value but rpepper9 seems to get the present range correct. I sold a copy for $25 recently and I'm satisfied.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I had seen a couple of Buy It Nows that were in that range, but I wasn't sure if it was just a fluke. I think I might take an offer from somebody who was interested in it. Thanks.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

What exactly is this item??
    Life is like a hurricane...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTalesNES View Post
    What exactly is this item??
    A retail-release Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. It isn't exactly a demo of the game itself, just a collection of VR Missions. There's a variety of pictures and such in the bonus gallery as well.
    It makes a great companion piece to MGS2.

I can't remember how much the MSRP was, though. (If it had one, that is.)
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    A retail-release Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. It isn't exactly a demo of the game itself, just a collection of VR Missions. There's a variety of pictures and such in the bonus gallery as well.
    It makes a great companion piece to MGS2.

Uh, no. It's not a demo, it's basically a "making of MGS2" documentary. I'm sure this is worded better somewhere... ah, MGS Wiki...

It allows the player to view all of the polygonal models used for characters, mechanics and areas in the game and listen to the game's soundtrack.

The disc also features all of the real time cut-scenes from the game with the audio removed and their respective storyboards, allowing the player to actively explore them and control them. Other features include special behind-the-scenes footage, all of the game's pre-release trailers, the completed script, Hideo Kojima's original game plan (available only in Japanese), the chronicle of MGS2, and a gallery of Metal Gear Solid related products and merchandise.

The disc also includes five "VR Training" levels that served as a precursor to Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'd price it at $30 because it's not very common (but not rare by any means) and it wasn't included with the MGS three pack that Konami released a while ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    MSRP was 9.99. It had one, I bought numerous ones at Fry's when it first came out.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Uh, no. It's not a demo, it's basically a "making of MGS2" documentary. I'm sure this is worded better somewhere... ah, MGS Wiki...

It allows the player to view all of the polygonal models used for characters, mechanics and areas in the game and listen to the game's soundtrack.

The disc also features all of the real time cut-scenes from the game with the audio removed and their respective storyboards, allowing the player to actively explore them and control them. Other features include special behind-the-scenes footage, all of the game's pre-release trailers, the completed script, Hideo Kojima's original game plan (available only in Japanese), the chronicle of MGS2, and a gallery of Metal Gear Solid related products and merchandise.

The disc also includes five "VR Training" levels that served as a precursor to Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.
    Well, of course. That's why I said it wasn't exactly like a demo because the only playable segment is the VR portion. (Even though it does "demonstrate" gameplay mechanics.) Likewise, it does have an extras gallery, which I did mention too. I didn't go in depth on the extras front because its been a while since I last played my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    MSRP was 9.99. It had one, I bought numerous ones at Fry's when it first came out.
    Oh yeah, now I remember. Thanks!
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    That's right. I paid $10 for my copy and a friend of mine got his new copy at Blockbuster for 9.99 too back when it first came out.

Regardless if it's very uncommon and limited to a print-run, the value has dropped steadily and would figure appropriately to $25 these days.

It has 5 VR missions, many promotional videos (from ECTS, E3, TGS, etc..), and tonnes of design 'documents' from MGS2 among 3D/2D artwork and general information on the programming of the game itself. It's as mentioned a nice companion to MGS2/MGS2:S but it's little more than information on DVD than a game. Personally, I'm a large fan of MGS2 and I didn't even keep my copy which I think says something about this disc.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, on a related note, the guy who originally inquired about it got one off the Bay before I got back to him so my dupe is still available if any of you guys are interested in it. Just send me a PM.