Thread: Marvel vs. Capcom Dreamcast S-video Issue

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Marvel vs. Capcom Dreamcast S-video Issue

Hi everyone, I think that this is probably the most appropriate forum to post this in, but feel free to point me somewhere else.

I've run into a rather interesting problem. I just hooked up my Dreamcast to my TV using an S-video cable, and tested it with several games. All of them work perfectly fine. However, then I tried my Japanese copy of Marvel vs. Capcom (not part 2, the original one...part 2 works fine). I get the Dreamcast boot screen, and then I get the Capcom logo. However after that, my TV actually loses the video signal to the DC, but I still get the sound on the title screen.

I re-hooked up the same DC to the same TV but with the standard composite cables (not S-Video). That seems to get rid of the problem.

I don't think I can write this off as a cable issue, because not only is a high quality S-video cable (not one of the cheap Chinese made ones), but I haven't run into this issue with any other of the many games I've tested on it. Has anyone else run into what is apparently a problem with Marvel vs. Capcom not working with S-video?

I don't really hope to get anything out of this since it seems like a rather obscure problem, but if anyone knows anything about it I would appreciate it.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is there a "video setting" on the Marvel versus Capcom options screen?

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does Marvel vs Capcom support S-Video?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for video settings, no. At least not the kind that you would look for with something like this. There is an option for "flash" which seems to reduce "light effects" (presumably for people who don't want to risk seizing from bright flash lights, etc.) The rest of it seems to be specifying the actual position of the screen and such. Nothing that seems very useful.

As for "supporting s-video", I was under the impression that that was something that was done on the hardware level rather than the software level. I could be really off-base on this, but I didn't even think it was possible for a game to not support s-video unless the system hardware itself didn't support it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by stiltzkin View Post
    As for "supporting s-video", I was under the impression that that was something that was done on the hardware level rather than the software level. I could be really off-base on this, but I didn't even think it was possible for a game to not support s-video unless the system hardware itself didn't support it.
    That's my understanding as well.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps this game is outputting at a strange resolution that wasn't in mind when your television and it's s-video circuit was designed.

Is your tv a standard definition CRT? I can't imagine why it would be happening if it was. But if it's an DLP, plasma, or LCD HDTV, I bet you're seeing a issue similar to what some people encounter when they're trying to play Ico on their PS2 over a component connection.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-13-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's about what I come up with too. It is a newer LCD, so I guess I would be a little more willing to accept this if:

1) The game didn't work being hooked up with component on the same exact TV

and

2) No other Dreamcast titles (even games of the same "era") seem to exhibit this same behavior on the TV when hooked up through S-video.

Regardless, it seems as though it has to be the game itself. At this point I've just resigned myself to having to swap out video cables when I want to play this title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The output resolution was why I asked if the game supported S-Video. It should be supported at the hardware level, but the game can still cause problems with S-Video.

Anyone have MvC and an S-Video cable to compare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    The output resolution was why I asked if the game supported S-Video. It should be supported at the hardware level, but the game can still cause problems with S-Video.

Anyone have MvC and an S-Video cable to compare?
    How can the game still cause problems with s-video?

Most every classic gaming console can be modded for s-video. If I can successfully play hundreds of games from the libraries of consoles like the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision through s-video without any adverse effects on consoles that weren't originally designed for s-video capabilities, I'm pretty sure the game has nothing to do with it.

2) No other Dreamcast titles (even games of the same "era") seem to exhibit this same behavior on the TV when hooked up through S-video.
    That's the point. I'm thinking that MvsC2 perhaps is running at a uncommon resolution that was different than your typical Dreamcast title, which is why this is an isolated problem that isn't affecting your other Dreamcast titles.

That's why I used the Ico PS2 example. It outputs a 240p signal (Which most PS2 titles don't), causing issues for many PS2 owners that have their systems hooked up via component cables to a modern television. Many modern televisions were designed with the expectation of never seeing a signal with a resolution lower than 480i/480p through their component input.

So a PS2 owner may discovery they can't get that game (And PSOne titles) to display on their HDTV using component cables, while never encountering an issue with the rest of their PS2 library, forcing them to switch cables to composite or s-video to play just 1 game.

That's why I think you perhaps might be experiencing a slightly different take on that problem.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-15-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I suppose that you are right. Particularly if it's been documented with a PS2 game as well (I don't own Ico, but all PS1 games work perfectly fine on my TV through the PS2...hooked up with component and everything). I may try fooling with my TV's resolution setting, but I don't know if it will even go down that low anyway. It's nothing that I'd ever thought to try.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leo, I think I just wasn't clear. I was getting at the same point that you were. I figured that MvC may not be outputting at a resolution that would be supported w/ his S-Video input.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Particularly if it's been documented with a PS2 game as well (I don't own Ico, but all PS1 games work perfectly fine on my TV through the PS2...hooked up with component and everything).
    It's not a universal problem.

Ico and PSOne titles display fine through component cables on my LCD as well. But it does affect some HDTV owners whose sets were designed by a manufacturer that didn't have the foresight to expect the possibility that a customer might ever send a signal lower than 480i through there.

I don't know if I'm right in your case, but it's the only way I can make sense out of your problem. Hopefully if I'm wrong, someone in the know will stumble across this and help you out eventually.

I do have one last suggestion. Try running the signal through a VCR if you have one available with S-Video connections, and see if that does anything. They modify the signal (Some people run their 2600's through one to boost the signal and get a stable picture on modern televisions, which sometimes can struggle with the signal a 2600 puts out) and perhaps it would be beneficial in your case.

I don't know if it would do any good, but it wouldn't do any harm to check it out if you have one available. Especially if you put a blank cassette in and hit record to get the VCR's own video circuits to fully kick in when playing the game. Worth a try.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-16-2010 at 01:48 AM.