Thread: Can any mid 90's or late 90's PC games run at 1360 x 768 resolution?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Can any mid 90's or late 90's PC games run at 1360 x 768 resolution?

I know this is a strange request. I'm not very computer savvy, so I might be completely off my rocker here, but... this is what I'm trying to do. Ok, I have this Samsung plasma TV that actually has 3D support. Well, it has 3D support for any device that can do the checkerboard 3D format at either 1024 x 768 or 1360 x 768. Now, I don't really want to play any games at 1024 x 768, because when I do that, it's basically a 4:3 format, and I get these annoying gray bars on the side of the TV that are very distracting.

I would love to play an older PC game, like the original "Unreal" at 1360 x 768 in Stereoscopic 3D. I think it would be really cool. The thing is, I'm about 99 percent sure that an old game like Unreal doesn't support such a crazy high resolution, as well as a widescreen resolution like that.

However, I was thinking that maybe there is some kind of patch or something, that would allow you to bump older games up to a certain resolution, and basically force the game into that resolution, whether the game supports it or not. I have a ATI card in my PC, and ATI has special drivers that you can use to run any game in Stereoscopic 3D. Now, not all games are going to look good when using this special driver, but some do.

Maybe I could play the original Half-Life in 1360 x 768? I'd love to play some older PC games like Descent or Quake or something like that in 1360 x 768, but I'm guessing that this would be impossible... right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Tomb Raider games can be patched to run in widescreen, at high resolutions, and there are also fan-created texture packs available. I haven't done it myself or anything, but I'm sure 1360x768 is supported.

Actually I'd bet most older games that are available on Steam or GOG.com can be made to run at that resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Given that the source code for Duke Nukem, DOOM, Quake, Duke 3D, and Descent was made available, I'd be a little surprised if somewhere along the way someone didn't make a suitable widescreen patch.

I'm pretty sure patches exist for the Fallout games and the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate et al), but I can't quite recall.

I'm tempted to suggest Moraff's World or Moraff's Revenge, which supported a lot of completely unnecessary SVGA stuff and might support widescreen resolutions, but I can't even imagine why people would want to play those games at all these days.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I would love to play an older PC game, like the original "Unreal" at 1360 x 768 in Stereoscopic 3D. I think it would be really cool. The thing is, I'm about 99 percent sure that an old game like Unreal doesn't support such a crazy high resolution, as well as a widescreen resolution like that.
    The earliest game I can find that runs at that resolution (or rather at 1280x768) is Unreal Tournament, from 1999. I'm sure there's earlier games that do so, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will get you some info for Quake 3 and Unreal Engine games at least:
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=4227
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...topic.php?t=15

Honestly even now not everything released on PC supports a lot of wide-screen resolutions. Pretty sad, but what can I say?
    Last edited by PC-ENGINE HELL; 02-15-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I've never had any luck with getting 3D out of an ATI card. Nvidea are the ones with the best 3D support. Some cards even have the jack on the board. Or are you talking about anaglyph 3d? That they can probally do.

And if the game is DirectX, then it should be possible to bump it up in resolution. It's just a matter of someone having patched it or not. Bitmaps will appear super tiny for the HUD and so forth but the 3D should be scalable.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I've never had any luck with getting 3D out of an ATI card. Nvidea are the ones with the best 3D support. Some cards even have the jack on the board. Or are you talking about anaglyph 3d? That they can probally do.

And if the game is DirectX, then it should be possible to bump it up in resolution. It's just a matter of someone having patched it or not. Bitmaps will appear super tiny for the HUD and so forth but the 3D should be scalable.
    The problem with Nvidia's 3D solution, is that you need to buy the glasses that they sell. They are quite expensive. I already have my Samsung shutterglasses (two pair).

Nvidia does have a free driver that you can use with older Nvidia cards. I think it has to be the GeForce 8800 or earlier... or something like that.

ATI does have a special 3D Driver. It's free to try for a month, if you have a ATI graphics card. I think it you plan on using it longer than a month, you have to pay a small one time fee, or something like that.
    Last edited by WCP; 02-16-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty much every game that uses the first Unreal-engine runs on any given resolution, WS-resolutions included.
    Unreal itself isn't an exception.

Many pixel-based games have fan-made patches to make them run on higher(and widescreen) resolutions.
    Fallout 1 & 2, Civ3 and Diablo 2(although these two arent late 90's games) being good examples of this.
    Last edited by Emteze; 03-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.