Thread: Hoping to get an arcade cabinet... Some questions...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hoping to get an arcade cabinet... Some questions...

I'm going to try and pick up an arcade cabinet in the near future. I've got a few questions and I need some advice on how to go about everything. Here's a few notes to keep in mind:

- I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Is it even possible to get an actual arcade cabinet for less than $300?
    - I'm looking for an actual cabinet, not a MAME one. MAME cabs are cool, but if I'm going to spend money on a cab, I'd rather it be actual hardware.
    - I'm a sucker for CPS2 and Neo Geo. I love Marvel Vs. Capcom and Metal Slug.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Where do you live? I got mine from superauctions. They travel all over the country and hit each location about 2 times a year. Most cabs go for less than the range your looking at. Some much less. A few for more. It all depends on the game and condition.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm currently in Fort Myers, FL. That auction site looks promising, but I'll have to wait until April if I'm going to be doing any of that. I'll stick in pin in it for later.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be sure to scan craigslist regularly, I've seen some good deals that were well within your price range pop up there but, at least in my area, they seem to go quick.

Regarding a MAME vs real hardware: Buy a Jamma game that you like (I went with Ultimate MK3), and get a XXXX-in-1 Jamma board. It's the best of both worlds!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Be sure to scan craigslist regularly, I've seen some good deals that were well within your price range pop up there but, at least in my area, they seem to go quick.
    There's not too much in my area, but in neighboring areas there's a ton of people selling stuff. The only problem is that most everything good is on the other side of the state, and I don't have the vehicle or the cash to make the trip over. If I'm going to go to Miami to pick up an MVS or a TMNT Machine, I'd have to bring a truck or a large van to transport it home. Or, at least, I assume that's the case. Have any of you guys attempted to transport a cab in a compact SUV?

Some of the prices over in Miami/Lauderdale are cheap enough that I could probably afford to buy multiple cabs. Eh, I'll just set my sights on a MVS or a Street Fighter II cab...

Prices online are really friggin' high. Has anyone bought a full cab online? Is there a specific site I can go to and get a particular cab without sacrificing my tuition for the month?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Over the past 5 years I've bought over 50 cabs (so many that I wrote a book about it). I've bought them at auctions, eBay, Craigslist, and from local sellers. I only paid more than $300 for one of them (720).
    Last edited by Flack; 02-16-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I found a vendor in the area who is selling a few cabs. He had a few cabs of interest. I'm going back next week to look at two machines: a TeenGe Mutant Ninja Turtles cab and a Sega Blast City.

- The Blast City is in okay shape. It's currently a bass fishing cab but apparently it's possible to take out the fishing rod panel and put in a regular 6-button layout. How would I go about doing this for this cab, and what can I do with it once I do? (price for the cab is $200)

- The TMNT cab is a 4 player one. I've always loved the game but I'm sure I'd get bored with it eventually. Is it possible to switch out the boards at all? What are some games you can use with it? (price for the cab is $500-$600)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Only drop serious coin on an arcade cabinet if it's something you really want. Granted some cabs (big racers like Daytona USA and Super GT for instance) still pull in solid money and are fairly game specific so they run quite a bit more most of the time.

For an example, I simply fell in love with my Galaxian cocktail table and had no problem paying $500 for it (down from $600) at California Extreme 2008. The seller was a class act and delivered it to my apartment complex, even helped me carry it upstairs. As Flack says in his book (which is a must read) the best deals are those where both the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction result. Even though it was on the high side for a Galaxian, we were both satisfied with the transaction. Personally I think Galaxian cocktail prices skew lower than they should be since the cabinet is different from other cocktails, panel wise.

On the other side my Klax cabaret was $220 delivered, after the seller had it on craigslist for almost a year, starting at $800. I bought a Tetris board for it off eBay for less than $20 and now have two of my favorite puzzle games in one small size cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by sixwayshot View Post
    Have any of you guys attempted to transport a cab in a compact SUV?
    No, but I did haul my 3/5th size Galaga MAME cabinet 110 miles in the backseat of a Toyota Camry.

Last edited by InsaneDavid; 02-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about that Blast City? Is it able to be converter into anything at all? I've seen people online convert Astro City cabs to MVS' before, is it possible to do so to the Blast City? It may end up being cheaper for me to buy the BC and convert it than buying a standalone MVS.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about that Blast City? Is it able to be converter into anything at all? I've seen people online convert Astro City cabs to MVS' before, is it possible to do so to the Blast City? It may end up being cheaper for me to buy the BC and convert it than buying a standalone MVS.
    It won't be cheaper, your best bet is to wait for the cabinet you want.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just saw the prices for a Blast City control panel. Ouch. I'll just try and find a Neo Geo cab. I still think the TMNT cab is pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Patience is the biggest thing. I was looking actually starting this exact same time last year and I didn't find a good cab until after about 2 months (got a Neo Gold cab). I think someone said it, but use SearchTempest and do your search a few miles out. Anything about 150 out should be within 3 hours driving time, which I don't think is an unreasonable trip for a purchase such as a cab.

Good luck with the hunt!

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up two cabs here in CT, about an hour away for $100. One was a "generic cab" that was built into a marlin fishing game the other was a Space Duel Cocktail cab. The thing to remember with these things is this: be preppared to drive and pick them up. If you are willing to travel a few hours you will get a lot of stuff for a good price.

I picked up a Converted blasetroids cab with a NEO GEO build in it for $275. Everything worked great, just had to drive an hour to get it.

Having lived in Florida (orlando area) there was a guy in my neighborhood that had 5 cabs in his garage. None worked, i dont think, but he just got them locally from arcade vendors and coin-ops that went out of business. Check the yellow pages and you can find vendors that will usually sell old cabs to individuals for good prices. That being said, the cheaper the cab, the more work you will need to put into it to make it look nice or work properly.

As far as getting a cab and using different games in it, JAMMA boards are very easily swapped out. its one simple connection to the board that is removed by hand and placed on the other board. Since my cab that has the NEO in it is sufficiently large inside, i am able to stand boards up and click the connector on and play it. When I am done, I simply take the board out and hook the Neo back up.

If you can get a good deal on a TMNT cab, that would be great. Most of my favorite games were made by KONAMI. I think (i am still researching the pinouts) my Simpsons, TMNT, and XMen boards are going to get a dedicated "KONAMI" cab so that I can use all 4 players with ease and not deal with 2P ROMS and the slightly different wiring these boards have (work find on the JAMMA harness i have now, but only P2 works because of the difference).

As far as fitting these into a SUV... unlikely. I have a dodge ram with a 6ft bed and the two full uprights I bought fit into it laying down with about 6inches of room to spare (length wise). Do yourself a favor when you find a cab you like and rent a UHAUL for $19.95 for the day... it will be worth it, especially if the person has more than one cab for sale you might want!

Additionally, ask questions and research research research. I don't think these things are that hard to work on if you have half a brain and can read schematics. If you aren't afraid of getting your hands dirty it helps too.
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I forgot to mention, I have personally sold two cabinets to buyers who showed up and carried them away in mini-vans. I don't know what the actual space comparison is between a mini-van and an SUV but I would assume the are close. Neither one could shut the rear hatch and had to tie it shut.

I wish you guys lived closer to Oklahoma. I am asking $300 for my 4-player X-Men cabinet. It's in perfect condition.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The van I've got is an '02 Ford Windstar. Luckily, the two mid-back seats can be removed. I may end up removing one of 'em if I buy a cab. The back seat was removed a few years ago to make room for a wheelchair lift, which should really be removed. I don't think it can be, though. Either way, I think the space provided by the removal of one of the seats will be enough to transport a cab. If not, I could always just rent a U-Haul and see if the guy's got another cab he needs to get rid of.

The only thing I know the guy has that's working is a TMNT cab. By the end of the week, the guy may have some other cabs for sale-- most of the stuff I saw was either too expensive (Light gun cabs, Multicades, Golden Tee...) or it interested me but it didn't work (Virtua Fighter).

Right now, my list of cabs to try and find (No real order) is:

1. A 4-Player cabinet of some sort (TMNT fits this well)
    2. A Playchoice-10 (Single Monitor, probably. This thing has been a favorite of mine for years.)
    3. A Vs. Unisystem cab (Any sort)
    4. Marvel Vs. Capcom (Hell, any of those CPS2 games.)
    5. Street Fighter 2
    6. Neo Geo MVS (a 2, 4, or 6 slot. Doubt I can get a 6-slot into my house.)
    7. Star Wars Trilogy. (This and the Playchoice were my childhood favorites.)

Most of those are pipe dreams right now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. A 4-Player cabinet of some sort (TMNT fits this well)
    2. A Playchoice-10 (Single Monitor, probably. This thing has been a favorite of mine for years.)
    3. A Vs. Unisystem cab (Any sort)
    4. Marvel Vs. Capcom (Hell, any of those CPS2 games.)
    5. Street Fighter 2
    6. Neo Geo MVS (a 2, 4, or 6 slot. Doubt I can get a 6-slot into my house.)
    7. Star Wars Trilogy. (This and the Playchoice were my childhood favorites.)

Most of those are pipe dreams right now.
    Honestly- a Blast City as a first cab might be a bad idea. If it's the original fishing monitor- it'll have burn in and possibly a dying/ready to die chassis on it.

4/5 sounds like you want a Dynamo HS5 or HS27. Really common cabs. Ask around with any local vendors/ route ops if they have any 6 button 25/27" Dynamos that they want to part with (or wait for superauctions).

As far as bang for the buck- I say find a legit or clean conversion 4 Slot. A good 4 slot board will last a long time- 6 slots are much more finicky. Alot of good Neo games are out there (I love me some Windjammers, Shock Troopers, Strikers- could go on forever!).

If you do the 4 player cab route- keep in mind there are a ton of different harnesses. I have what feels like a good 20 hours into harnesses for my 4p Sega Swing. That being said- there are a ton of good 3p/4p games out there ready for fun (Blitz, Jam, Turtles, AVP, DnD, etc). Most are 2/3 buttons (DnD used 4- so I had to get creative with that one).

Shmups.org is a decent place for cab info (hardware section). Neo-Geo.com is as well (but the atmosphere can be a bit rough at times).