Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Rare Japenese Cartoon Based On Adventure Island

Here's something pretty interesting I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5sL6uq5aw

THis is the opening to an old, rare anime based on the classic Adventure Island games for the NES. As far as I know, there are no full episodes posted anywhere. In America, it translates as to "HoneyBee In ToyCom Land"- but the only characters I recognize are Master Higgins and King Quiller (King Q. is the big monster guy- he looks very similar to the way he looks on the boxart of the original game). Just wanted to share this with you- very interesting considering this franchise did not gain much popularity in its heyday. Anybody else even hear of this before?

There's also a little bit more I know about this. There was a game based specifically on this anime- and there are vids of it on Youtube. So, basically that game would be considered a game that's based on an anime that's based on another game (kind of like Street Fighter: The Movie The Game). It was also made into a full film at some point but I know very little of it.
    Last edited by ReTrO-pLaYeR; 02-15-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

There is a Famicom game based on this cartoon which I have that has those characters in it. It's a pink cart.

TAKAHASHI MEIJIN NO BUG-TTE HONEY

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/game.cmf?gameid=15676
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 02-15-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard about it and seen videos on it. It makes sense it's pink- the cartoon based off what I've seen is somewhat feminine as I think it revolves around the HoneyGirl (who gave Higgins invincibility in the games).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    Here's something pretty interesting I found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5sL6uq5aw

THis is the opening to an old, rare anime based on the classic Adventure Island games for the NES. As far as I know, there are no full episodes posted anywhere. In America, it translates as to "HoneyBee In ToyCom Land"- but the only characters I recognize are Master Higgins and King Quiller (King Q. is the big monster guy- he looks very similar to the way he looks on the boxart of the original game). Just wanted to share this with you- very interesting considering this franchise did not gain much popularity in its heyday. Anybody else even hear of this before?
    It was an incredibly popular game series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Besides, even if Mimi was wrong (and she's not, particularly in regards to Japan), it's not at all unheard of for franchises of marginal and/or dubious popularity to get their own cartoons. C.O.P.S., Sectaurs, and The Inhumanoids all received their own shows in America in the '80s, and their toylines had a maximum of two years worth of toys each.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yup, that game is one odd duck. I'd picked it up on a whim, and once I realized I was

Yup, that game is one odd duck. I'd picked it up on a whim, and once I realized I was playing as a bumblebee, of course I began to wonder what the frak connection that game had with the rest of the Adventure Island universe -- you don't exactly see a whole lot of Master Higgins in the game, obvs.