Thread: Sega Saturn model 1 "Disc tray open"

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn model 1 "Disc tray open"

I'm having a problem with my model 1 Sega Saturn that I did not experience in my model 2. When I start up the system, it says "disc tray open" although it is closed.

Now, I can get it to work by applying a moderate amount of pressure to the lid. I usually do this by putting a case of CD-R's on top of the lid. However, this shouldn't be happening. It's like the previous owner tried the swap trick too many times.

It's the back right corner that causes it to not work. However, I don't know how to fix it. Here are some illustrations describing my problem.

What to do...?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know much about about the Saturn so this is just an educated guess, but it sounds like the switch that tells the status of the lid is not going down all the way when you close it. This switch should be near the area where you have to apply pressure right under the shell (at least that's where it usually is). You'll have to open it up to see what's going on. If I had to guess I would say either part of the switch or lid broke off; or the lid is somehow sitting too high.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Probably just worn. Put a little something on the tab that sticks down when the lid is closed to make up the difference.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can also open the case and put some tape around the disk lid monitor post to secure it into "always closed" position. It's a three way switch, I believe. What I mean is all the way open and all the way closed reads: disk lid open. You have to hit the sweet spot in the middle to register "closed".

If you can do a toggle switch open/close on the outside, that would be better, but less ghetto-fabulous of a solution.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

hi take it apart and the lid switch has metal on the back of it its bendable just bend it back a bit not two much and should work with no probs

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    You can also open the case and put some tape around the disk lid monitor post to secure it into "always closed" position. It's a three way switch, I believe. What I mean is all the way open and all the way closed reads: disk lid open. You have to hit the sweet spot in the middle to register "closed".

If you can do a toggle switch open/close on the outside, that would be better, but less ghetto-fabulous of a solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did open the thing up a few days ago. Where is the switch at?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are feeling adventurous, you can remote the shell of your saturn, and permanently glue / tape the microswitch down that indicates if the lid is open or shut. This will permanently fix your issue (if the switch is in fact the issue)

There are a ton of turorials online. Google it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My technical skills aren't that good yet. Ironic considering this kind of thing (switches and soldering) is part of my college major
    I'm just going to stick with setting something on top, because it does work after all.

I need help reassembling though. How do I put this spring back in?
    http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/7431/sshelp.jpg

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, after studying this post, I revived my White Jap Saturn.

I found my system was also doing the the "CD tray is open" routine.

I opened the case and found the door sensor in the upper left area internally, near the power supply. The sensor stands like a little tower (a tad odd in design). I poked around it for a short while and by chance initiated the tray to start up.

But it wasn't a quick fix to tape the sensor or bending the metal housing. As soon as I put the shell back together, the f'ing problem returned.

Inside the sensor are the metal contacts that meet to say the tray is open or closed. If I poked the center of the strips hard enough, the CD lens activated and the tray was considered closed. So a test of desperation, I popped off the plastic housing that encapsulated the strips to see what was causing a disconnect. After doing this, one strip was curved forward. I pushed them together and immediately the system tray was closed with CD booting. So, I said "what the hell" and put the system back together.

BAM!

Exposing the wires seemed to give the space needed to have the contacts work. The system tray lid now controls the game booting as normal. I've tested for the last hour without failure.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would, but the system isn't worth restoring now. I messed up the disc tray lock. Still works, but now I have to lift the tray open with a small flathead screwdriver.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this, its in the upper left like he said in a black plastic post, it sqeezes together to make contact. If its not making contact or the shell isnt aligned properly when putting it back together then it wont work Also make sure when your putting the lid on to be gentle becasue you can break the thing (ive done it)