Thread: Ebay error: my listing contains "unpleasant information" WTFWTFWTF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ebay error: my listing contains "unpleasant information" WTFWTFWTF

I listed a few things earlier, and when on the confirmation screen, I saw the red error box at the top, with this absurd message:

Seriously, wtf is that about? I say in my Rules & Regulations section at the bottom (which I know no one reads) that if you don't pay after 8 calendar days, I'll file an unpaid item dispute and add you to my blocked bidder list. Wow, that sure is crazy and unprofessional.

What bidder is going to be offended by that and not buy my item? That's like going to a department store and saying "Hey, I can only return this toaster within 30 days? NO EFFING WAY. That unpleasantness offends me and I am taking my business elsewhere."

Also, I'm not a Top Seller, so threats against my Top Sellerness probably won't work. I was still able to list my items, so they can't be TOO serious about this. That said, I'm sure all of my stuff will be pulled out of the blue in 3 months when I've forgotten about this.

Are they really cracking down on all 10 million sellers that say some variation of this? They allow the sale of countless bootleg items per second and do essentially nothing to stop obvious other scams, but this is what they're targeting now? Unbelievable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. More and more bullshit from eGay. They've really fucked shit up for the sellers.

edit: Personally, I don't see anything wrong with stating that in the description. Yes, "every user is supposed" to read the rules and regulations when they agree to sign up with ebay, but you know that most people just click through all that shit.

I've stated that payment needs to be made within a certain date in my descrips before and low and behold those folks made a quick payment.

I haven't wrote that in a while, but it looks like you can't do it anymore anyway :/
    Last edited by j1e; 02-20-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like it's only in the frame of a suggestion... Since you can list with said 'unpleasantness'. If you really don't like it, sell you things somewhere else, where you like the policies and their suggestions. I can understand why they suggest these things... Every user is supposed to read up on and agree to policy within eBay and follow TOS as a contract. Dispute arbitration covers all such things, no real need to reiterate it in every one of your auction/sale listings. Saying that you require payment within a time frame is one thing, saying that you'll file a dispute if policy (yours or eBays) is breached is fairly obvious.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-20-2010 at 01:16 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Looks like it's only in the frame of a suggestion... Since you can list with said 'unpleasantness'.
    The word "can't" is right there at the beginning of the thing.

Good grief - is this real? It's almost like a brilliant spoof of eBay or something. Can't believe they would write something so dumb.

If you're at the point where you feel the need to try to run people through a crash eBay course, maybe you'd be better off not selling there, if it's that bad for you.

On the other hand, you probably could get away with "please make sure you're familiar with this general eBay information in these links before bidding..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Good grief - is this real? It's almost like a brilliant spoof of eBay or something. Can't believe they would write something so dumb.
    I assure you it's real.

I slightly altered my Rules & Regulations page to not use keywords and phrases like "non-paying bidder dispute" and that made the red box message go away for today's listings. My Rules page still says the same thing, it's just 5% more vague.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ryborg, the patron saint and savior of unpleasant ebay listings.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives