Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In or out? Leaving cartridges in consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default In or out? Leaving cartridges in consoles.

I guess I've been thinking about this more lately and presently I am under the idea that leaving a game cartridge in a console cartridge slot for an extended period of time is bad for the slot as it bends the pins out faster than normally.

I'd like to have some evidence to support or deny my claim and essentially have others share their stories on cartridge slots alike.

I would like to leave a game in a my SNES or Genesis, thinking it's a better stop-measure to prevent dust than the covers themselves but somehow long-term deterioration I feel is sped up due to the extended cartridge insertion. Saturn too is a tricky situation, what with the stories I've heard and encountered with the expansion slot.

Feel free to add.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally tend to leaves carts in the slot most of the time. I haven't experienced any issues because of it, even with my Saturn. I'd think the force of constantly inserting and removing carts would be more troublesome to the systems, but it would probably take a lot of cart changes to have any adverse effects.

I've actually started to use flash carts for my NES, SNES, Genesis and PC-Engine systems. That way I keep my originals on the shelf and place ROM files for each of those games on the flash cart. The flash carts constantly stay in the system, unless being transported somewhere. It's nice to boot up the system and get a list of all the games you own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

I leave them in. Unless it's an NES (where you experience it most, but it's an easy fix anyway) or a 32x (as I NEVER leave a cartridge in that flimsy thing, and where after use i completely disassemble and put into storage) I always keep em in. Easy to keep the console clean IMO.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just a daughterboard. I didn't/don't yank my out modem, video and other controller cards from the slots in my PCs after every use...

Frequent ins and outs is surely worse on the slot than leaving one connected for extended periods. I don't think either is really bad on console slots though, on the average. The toaster NES is probably best for plug and leave. But that's not the fault of the user or their behavior.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I leave them in mainly to keep the dust out, save shelf space, and have something to instantly play. It also helps stop the constant wear from removing carts all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In terms of bending the pins out faster, metal fatigue sets in as a result of frequently bending the metal, not by keeping it under stress. So, in theory, it's better to leave the game in (assuming you're going to go back and play the same game later).

Personally, I usually take the game out, because it's likely that I'll want to play a different game once I turn the system on next time. Plus I like to keep all my games on the shelf where I can see them.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the exception of my portables I always remove the game from the console when done playing and return it back to its plastic sleeve. Never once had I have a problem with any systems that were bought new, even the old toaster NES still works perfectly on the first try. I never even had to clean it or any of the games that were bought new.

As long as you take care of your stuff it probably doesn't matter either way unless it doesn't have a dust cover, like portables, then it's best to leave something in.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't recommend putting a game in and pulling it out over and over through the course of playing through a game. If the game has a battery in it, you might not put it in well or what have you, it won't load up right, and then once you get it working you may find your save file is gone. I mean, I keep my games and systems clean, but even my stuff doesn't always work on the first try. Granted, if I or somebody else wants to play something different, I have no qualms swapping games, but I'm not about to take a game out every single time I shut the system off.

Now, if you're talking about the periods between games, I don't leave games in my systems all the time. When I'm finished with a game, I put it away, and the system will stay empty until I decide to play something else on it, which may be months or even years.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 02-23-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Currently I've got a game in a A/V Famicom (same appearance as the NES toploader) and I'm leaving it in there.

The toaster does have more problems with the pins being "stretched" out but leaving a cartridge in there isn't the problem - pushing it in and pulling it out repeatedly is.

Another problem to be aware of is losing the contact surfaces. Repeated wear on the contacts means eventually either the game or the system is going to have trouble making contact.

And now, the possibility interesting part:

A related problem which I read about (along with rubbing off the contacts) a couple years ago in a computer maintenance bible (about a '97 edition I believe) is the possibility of chemical reactions between different types of contacts - I'll have to take a look at it sometime. It's worth noting that if your contacts are gold there shouldn't be any problem at all (since gold is quite stable, but it rubs off rapidly). This was said to affect RAM sticks mainly, and over the years they have used different types of conductor - tin, gold, some others I'm sure. I don't know if this could be a problem for the Famicom, though I kind of doubt it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always leave a game in my system. I only take it out when I'm ready to move on to the next (i.e. I beat it, or got to the last level). This way it also encourages me to stick with a game before jumping to the next, getting maximum value out of a game

I read in the past you should take the cart/CD out but I never listened to that advice and it has never damaged my games yet.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I always take them out unless it's the jaguar, which of course has no flaps. Then again, neither does the 2600 or the 7800...

Incidentally I miss the Master System 2's 'flip top lid'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I always take them out unless it's the jaguar, which of course has no flaps. Then again, neither does the 2600 or the 7800...
    The 2600 (at least up to the Vader, IIRC) does indeed have a flap, if you look between the prongs on the cart slot. That's why there are prongs on the cart too.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Insert Coin (Level 0) NESGamer24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually take them out. I do keep the memory card in my Saturn. That has been in the Saturn continuously for over 13 years and I have no trouble with it.

When I used them a lot I probably kept the game in but now since I put everything away after each use I remove the cartridges.
    "50,000? You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always kept games in the system. i think there are games in about half my systems right now.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though I leave them out, I have experienced no negative effects from leaving them in. I don't see how pins could get bent from something sitting idly by them. If anything, it protects the pins from dust and dirt.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the conclusion we have come to is that it doesn't really matter either way. Or else we need another 20 years of testing to find more definitive proof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Purkeynator View Post
    Or else we need another 20 years of testing to find more definitive proof.
    NES carts with the connector traces worn down are your proof that constant placing and replacing - or at least rough handling - are no good. I'd rather leave a cartridge in place myself.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Leaving it in place rather than consistantly taking the cart out and putting it back in will reduce scratching on the pins of the cart and reduce bending on the pins inside the console. Dust also won't gather up with a cart inside.

I leave all the carts in myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I leave carts in, a game system just wouldn't look right without one in it all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Leave em' in for me. Its a dust repellant and dosen't wear as hard on the cart slot.