Thread: ys

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ys

are any of the ys games after 3 in english? just wondering because i read that none, other than the ps2 one that came out a while back were released in usa

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

AFTER 3? Not officially except for, as you mentioned, Ys VI Ark of Napishtim on the PS2 and PSP and Legacy of Ys on the DS. You CAN, however, buy the import Ys I & II Complete and Ys: Oath in Felghana for the PC and get the English patches for both as well as English patches for Ys IV for both the Super Famicom version and the PC-E version....
    Last edited by LiquidPolicenaut; 02-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ys V for the Sufami is a must-play, whether it's in English or Japanese.

But yeah, there aren't any official English-language releases of the other Ys games besides the PS2/PSP Ys VI.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Ys V for the Sufami is a must-play, whether it's in English or Japanese.
    Really? I have played through all of the old Ys games (I-V, the 2 versions of IV & V in Japanese), and I found V to be only so-so. It is more like Zelda or one of the Enix "Soul trilogy" than traditional Ys (which is not really a negative), but with this change in gameplay and the drastic change in art-style (more Squaresoft-esque), it really doesn't feel like Ys. Ys III, despite being a side-scroller, feels more like Ys than V.

That said, Ys IV: Mask of the Sun on the Super Famicom is probably the worst of the classic games, with Ys IV: Dawn of Ys on the PCECD being the best that isn't Book I & II. The PS2 Ys VI is phenomenal, especially with the Japanese voices. More of the PS2 games should be translated, but won't be, and the PSP is not the answer.

I hate that the modern Ys games rot in Japan while Atlus releases grind-heavy strategy RPGs ad nauseum. Injustice I tell you, and yes, I am aware that the remakes weren't so hot. It still would be nice for Ys to get some respect outside of "hardcore" circles with some frickin' releases!