10 15.87%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bonk or Zonk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The fact that, after the Turbo went kaput, Bonk went on to have a few games on other platforms and Zonk didn't, well, that speaks volumes.
    Mmm... just because a franchise never achieved much success financially or branched out to other systems doesn't mean that the game or its protagonist was lacking. There are many great games that never got proper recognition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't realize I posted on here already
    Last edited by MarioMania; 02-14-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Bonk all the way..I have all 3 Bonks and both Zonk's..All are fun, but i like Bonk's gameplay better.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Bonk but after I got the world record for the first game in the series I gotta go with Zonk.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The fact that, after the Turbo went kaput, Bonk went on to have a few games on other platforms and Zonk didn't, well, that speaks volumes.
    Except you forget the fact that Zonk and Bonk were developed in Japan, for the Japanese PC-Engine. It had nothing to do with the success or failure of the US TG16.

isufje: Yeah? BC-Kid was the European localization name for the game, not the US. Note sure why the weird (and late) arcade spin-off (which isn't like any 'Bonk' game) uses that name, but the other home ports in Japan had different names as well (GB-Genjin, FC-Genjin, whatever-the-hell-the-superfami-one-is-called).
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Except you forget the fact that Zonk and Bonk were developed in Japan, for the Japanese PC-Engine. It had nothing to do with the success or failure of the US TG16.
    Except you forget the question had nothing to do with the success or failure of the tg16 either. It was about which character was the better mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Given the two "mascots" and their respective games, who do you prefer? Who is the most iconic and badass???
    I merely submit that the relative longevity of Bonk makes him the more iconic and better mascot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like Zonk personally, but to tell you the truth, the fact that it was a shoot em up confused me back in the day. I know Zonk was only released because Bonk was lacking the attitude that Sonic the Hedgehog was succeeding with, but I always thought he was pretty cool. Air Zonk is probably my favorite game on the console... Super Air Zonk can suck it.

Bonk will always be more fondly remembered. He is the embodiment of a more hopeful time for the PC-Engine's success in America, and less of a desperate cry for attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Even though I am an avid fan of the shooter genre, Bonk's Revenge is my favorite. Zonk is only a guilty pleasure.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC Genjin and PC Engine were not created to rhyme with each other. It just so happens that the way you pronounce it is similar. "Personal Computer Engine" makes sense. "Personal Computer Primitive" is basically what PC Genjin translates into. I highly doubt they were creating the character to rhyme with PC Engine. What other word for Caveman or primitive is there in Katakana or Kanji? pretty sure nothing...

And correct me if Im wrong, isnt Zonk just Bonk from the future? or hes somehow related to Bonk Im almost positive....

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PC Genjin and PC Engine were not created to rhyme with each other. It just so happens that the way you pronounce it is similar. "Personal Computer Engine" makes sense. "Personal Computer Primitive" is basically what PC Genjin translates into. I highly doubt they were creating the character to rhyme with PC Engine. What other word for Caveman or primitive is there in Katakana or Kanji? pretty sure nothing...
    No, there weren't created at the same time to rhyme with each other. They are at least two years part. But PC-Genjin *is* a pun on the name PC-Engine. And the PC in PC-Genjin stands for Pithecanthropus Computerurus, not Personal Computer (but a pun on PC itself). PC-Genjin started out as a mini comic/strip/whatever promotional thing for the PC-Engine. People got confused and thought it was actually a new game in development for the system - so they developed it as a game due to the popularity of the event. Matter of fact, I remember reading it in some Hudson or PC-Genjin (atlus or red or such) interview. Hudson owned the rights to PC-Genjin, hired Red to produce the game, which in turn hired Atlus to develop(code) the game. Hudson, the guys that made the PC-Engine and licensed it to NEC.

And correct me if Im wrong, isnt Zonk just Bonk from the future? or hes somehow related to Bonk Im almost positive....
    You mean Bonk in the future? Zonk is a robot (doesn't look like a cyborg from the cut away pics), so I assume he's not human at all. Other than that, I have no clue exactly how the story or connection goes. And I doubt they even thought that much into it. TTi claimed he was a descendant of Bonk, but that's just the US branch so no idea how credible that is.
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 02-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.