Thread: JVC X'Eye with CD Region, Cart Region, and S-Video Mod

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default JVC X'Eye with CD Region, Cart Region, and S-Video Mod

This is the 2nd one that I do, turned out pretty nice. Soldering in that new bios was a pain, but not too bad. S-Video on these is pretty easy it uses the CXA1145M. It can play US/JPN NTSC CD and cartridge games. I took 2 sets of pictures at different times if you are wondering about the background.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice work. The X'eye is a nice unit, and doing a hard mod for region makes it an even better space saver.

What sort of audio chip/amp does the X'eye use? I know there are differences between the initial Genesis High Def Graphics logo model 1's chip/amp, as compared to the the VA7 motherboard model 1s, and the model 2s. The audio is apparently much better off a high def model 1 than the latter.
    Last edited by Arasoi; 02-26-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MasterJSP's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mehizzo

That's pretty awesome brotha man. Can it play PAL carts too?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what audio set it uses, according to TmEE the sound is muffled
    when I say muffled I mean there's too much filtering going on on the highs.... there is no equalizers in the units, just filters that do not amp lower end of the freq spectrum, just decreasing top range, at points that vary from model to model...
    I think it sounds great and I have heard the CCAM he uses, obviously the X'eye won't be clear like it but it still sounds fantastic.
    My system will not play pal carts, there was never a EURO X'Eye/Wondermega so I don't know if a mod will work, I am sure a Game Genie would, but I don't think it will do 50hz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by electrochip View Post
    I don't know what audio set it uses, according to TmEE the sound is muffled I think it sounds great and I have heard the CCAM he uses, obviously the X'eye won't be clear like it but it still sounds fantastic.
    My system will not play pal carts, there was never a EURO X'Eye/Wondermega so I don't know if a mod will work, I am sure a Game Genie would, but I don't think it will do 50hz.
    Pin 46 of the 315-XXXX IC should denote 60Hz / 50Hz the same way 107 denotes USA / JPN. I haven't tried it myself on a JVC X'Eye, but I would assume it would behave the same way as doing it with a Genesis Model 2 since the chip is essentially the same (in regards to pins 107 / 46).

Beautiful work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Pin 46 of the 315-XXXX IC should denote 60Hz / 50Hz the same way 107 denotes USA / JPN. I haven't tried it myself on a JVC X'Eye, but I would assume it would behave the same way as doing it with a Genesis Model 2 since the chip is essentially the same (in regards to pins 107 / 46).

Beautiful work.
    Thanks, for the info and the compliment. I don't have any desire to play EURO cart games on my X'Eye, though with that mod it still wouldn't play EURO CD Games. When I have sometime I will do the mod to another x'eye I have and report back on whether the 50hz switch works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in a step by step how-to on s-video for the x'eye, I don't care about all that other stuff..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I'm interested in a step by step how-to on s-video for the x'eye, I don't care about all that other stuff..
    http://home.comcast.net/~amakusa666/...CX1145-MOD.htm

that's the easiest guide I could find to explain to you without me having to do any of the work I used a 75ohm and 33ohm resistor rather than the 68ohm+10ohm and 3x10ohm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of difference did you notice in the picture by going with the different resistors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as sound is concerned, I never thought that the X'Eye had bad sound. But recently I picked up a model 1 (high def graphics version), and I must say, it sounds A LOT better, it seems to me like the bass kicks really hard, i couldn't believe the difference in streets of rage, but maybe it's my imagination, I dunno it was all running through a 32x too..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as sound is concerned, I never thought that the X'Eye had bad sound. But recently I picked up a model 1 (high def graphics version), and I must say, it sounds A LOT better, it seems to me like the bass kicks really hard, i couldn't believe the difference in streets of rage, but maybe it's my imagination, I dunno it was all running through a 32x too..
    The Bass is definitely kicking on those models. I haven't tried the original values of the resistors on the Mod as I had the 75 and 33 laying around and was very satisfied with the picture they produced. I would assume you would get a ever so slightly brighter picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. well I was looking at the schematics, and they seem fairly straight forward. Do you mind showing me a close up of only the S-Video stuff on your mobo? I'm assuming that's the chip on the picture in the upper left hand corner? I should just open mine up and take a gander.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm.. well I was looking at the schematics, and they seem fairly straight forward. Do you mind showing me a close up of only the S-Video stuff on your mobo? I'm assuming that's the chip on the picture in the upper left hand corner? I should just open mine up and take a gander.
    That unit is gone, I only have my unmodded x'eye and my wondermega 2 which has a factory CXA1645P installed with factory S-Video. The X'Eye S-Video mod is really straight forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, well thanks, if you do get another one some close-ups would be much appreciated. For now I have book marked that page. There needs to be a "how-to" specifically for the X'Eye posted somewhere on the net. Doing a search for "s-video x'eye" comes up with about nothing. I'm sure many X'Eye owners/owners to be, would much appreciate something like that. The X'Eye is just not documented nearly enough, I am guessing due to it's rarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one of electrochip's modded X'eyes the other day, and love this thing. Ive played some import Megadrive and Mega CD and domestic Genesis and Sega CD, and it works flawlessly.

The picture quality on the s video is quite nice, though I have an RGB SCART cable on order, to make it look even nicer.

Excellent work EC.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    I got one of electrochip's modded X'eyes the other day, and love this thing. Ive played some import Megadrive and Mega CD and domestic Genesis and Sega CD, and it works flawlessly.

The picture quality on the s video is quite nice, though I have an RGB SCART cable on order, to make it look even nicer.

Excellent work EC.
    Thank you for the kind words, I am happy you are enjoying it.