Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Played some of Zelda: Ocarina of Time earlier tonight for first time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Played some of Zelda: Ocarina of Time earlier tonight for first time

Got to my friend's place right when he was leaving to go pick up some food for the whole gang. So I went up the stairs to his living room and saw a Zelda title on his Wii. Being out of games I didn't know if it was a Wii Zelda game or not. I figured it was, but kept thinking to myself gee these graphics are muddy-ish, heh.

I was inside the belly and killed the three flying creatures mini-boss by tossing this character at them.

Got to traverse around the environs for a while. I have to admit I got into it after a little while, it was fairly cool but I kept thinking about Link to the Past and how much that game kicked ass

How much do the N64 Zelda games go for on average these days? Is it worth picking up an N64 for them? I'm not a big 3D fan but if I can pick up the N64 and some games for $50 maybe it wouldn't be a bad investment. I did love those WCW Aki N64 games after all...

Hey another random Nintendo question, how much does a Gamecube go for these days? I know there's some classic Zelda/Metroid/RE games on there, maybe I might want to branch out a bit, heh. So I guess, um, this is a joint Zelda games on N64/N64/Gamecube (recommendation) type thread. I know it's kind of all over the place. Feel free to chime in wherever you feel most comfortable. Sort of a free for all, heh

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Got to my friend's place right when he was leaving to go pick up some food for the whole gang. So I went up the stairs to his living room and saw a Zelda title on his Wii. Being out of games I didn't know if it was a Wii Zelda game or not. I figured it was, but kept thinking to myself gee these graphics are muddy-ish, heh.

I was inside the belly and killed the three flying creatures mini-boss by tossing this character at them.

Got to traverse around the environs for a while. I have to admit I got into it after a little while, it was fairly cool but I kept thinking about Link to the Past and how much that game kicked ass

How much do the N64 Zelda games go for on average these days? Is it worth picking up an N64 for them? I'm not a big 3D fan but if I can pick up the N64 and some games for $50 maybe it wouldn't be a bad investment. I did love those WCW Aki N64 games after all...

Hey another random Nintendo question, how much does a Gamecube go for these days? I know there's some classic Zelda/Metroid/RE games on there, maybe I might want to branch out a bit, heh. So I guess, um, this is a joint Zelda games on N64/N64/Gamecube (recommendation) type thread. I know it's kind of all over the place. Feel free to chime in wherever you feel most comfortable. Sort of a free for all, heh
    There has been re-releases of Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube (Zelda Collectors Edition) and Wii (on the Virtual Console). If you have either console, it really isn't worth picking up an N64 for it. That said, regardless of console, Ocarina of Time is one of the greatest games of all time. I played through both the N64 and Gamecube editions to great joy.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I finally got a Nintendo 64 and a copy of Ocarina of Time in 1999 a year after OoT was released, and felt like acquiring the console was justified from that one game alone. So yes, I'd say it's worth picking up a Nintendo 64 for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time is basically Link to the Past in 3d and I have a tough time deciding which one is the pinnacle of the series.

GameCube's are extremely cheap. I think I paid $20 for a third one less then a year ago and $10 or so for a Game Boy Player from GS to make one a dedicated Game Boy Player so I didn't always have to change disc and controllers on my original everytime I want to play a GBA game (I play GC games on my original and keep a second GC NIB for the day it may be needed).

I wouldn't spend more then $20-$30 on a used GameCube in good condition with a controller, power supply, and first party controller.

The GameCube Zelda's are fun too, but never quite rival the two titles on the N64. Even still, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are great games and Four Swords Adventures is an interesting experience that modernizes the graphics from Link to the Past and brings level based multiplayer gaming to the Zelda franchise.

There are also two compilations on the GameCube. One includes Ocarina of Time and an interesting hack of it that supposedly recycles much of the content that the unreleased Ura Zelda project for the N64 DD was supposed to be (Think of it as a second quest for Ocarina of Time).

Then there's a second compilation with both NES and both N64 titles (No Link to the Past as Nintendo had just then released it on the GBA). It's a nice collection, but be aware that there are issues with Majora's Mask including a slower frame rate, crashes, and the loss of saves. And neither N64 Zelda ever feels quite right with a GameCube controller in my opinion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-27-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would pick up an n64 to play OOT and Majora's Mask just for the sake of using the correct controller. the games are really optimized for that controller.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Ocarina of Time, WCW Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy, Ogre Battle 64(best game on the system,) Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Nightmare Creatures, Mega Man 64(Legends,) Forsaken(better than PSX version.)

I'd say the system has enough good games you can't get on the Virtual Console to make it worth owning. Infact most of those games you can't get on the VC. I think the only one I listed that you can is Ocarina of Time.

Also. Only get Majora's Mask if you want one fetch quest after another throughout the entire game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda OoT is my personal nomination for "best game ever", though my personal all-time favorite will always be Goldeneye.

It's really an amazing game and I cannot think of a single flaw. The dungeons are enough to make rookies consult strategy guides. There's all sorts of side quests for the 100% guys, even including the fishing minigame which can be quite entertaining. The environments and graphics make you feel part of world. Revisiting old areas later in your quest gives you a sense of aging and it is amazing to see what becomes of some areas later in the adventure.

I haven't played it since back in 1997 or so but I really should dig it out again someday. The problem with most of us collectors is that we have hundreds of games on the shelves and only so many hours in the day.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i would say yeah go get a N64. I would rather have the original hardware and software than a download any day. Plus its got a lot of great games for it. As for a Gamecube, i would say yes to picking up one of those also. You could easily get both and some games for under 100bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting a Gamecube would allow you to have every Zelda console game except ALttP. TLoZ Collector's Edition has TLoZ, AoL, OoT and MM and then there is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Besides the Gamecube ports of OoT and MM are rendered at 480p (like in the Wii) instead of 240p.
    Last edited by izarate; 02-27-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    Getting a Gamecube would allow you to have every Zelda console game except ALttP. TLoZ Collector's Edition has TLoZ, AoL, OoT and MM and then there is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Besides the Gamecube ports of OoT and MM are rendered at 480p (like in the Wii) instead of 240p.
    Though, with the Gameboy Player, you could play the GBA port of ALttP.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are going for RE and Zelda, GC is where it's at. You might have to eat a little cost on Code Veronica for GC, but overall, it's worth having near the entire series on one system like that. A bonus for me was, playing the 64 Zelda games without the 64s controller, which I could never stand. GC also has OoT/Master Quest which can be fun for variety on a second playthru.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-27-2010 at 09:57 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up zelda ocarina of time earlier this month for $15 shipped. you can probably nab a 64 for around $25 without any games. $40 for one of the best systems (I think haha) and game of all time? go for it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Steven, I am quite astonished to know that this was the first time you played Ocarina of Time ... don't you like playing contemporary games ?.

Even if i love classic games and absolutely loved the days of the Atari, NES and TurboGrafx; i still like to play the games that are released today.

I may be wrong but it should be easier to afford gaming in the US than Mexico, where spending 1,000 pesos por a new release is getting heavier to afford everyday. I had a wonderful experience playing Uncharted 2 today ... and that experience wouldn't be as good if i play that game in 2018 ....

I am sure that if you like Ocarina today, you would be drooling playing it in 1998
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The N64 is a great system to pick up with strong durability and cheap games. Also, you dont have to think twice when you buy a game used, no worries about scratched games. Although the N64 graphics are dated, I recommend getting the N64 versions of Zeldas due to using the original controller.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm at that exact point in my most recent play through of Ocarina of Time. Inside Jabu-Jabu's belly (or something like that). I've never finished OoT and have never played Majora's Mask even though I bought both when they were first released. I've gotten very far into OoT (the Shadow Temple, I believe it's called), but never finished. Everytime I went back to that original save, I'd forgotten what happened previously so I'd start over. This year seems to be the year of Zelda for me. I've mentioned on the Retro League podcast that I've played through Phantom Hourglass and Link to the Past since December. I've also started playing through Spirit Tracks, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time in that same time period. Maybe I'll shoot for finishing every Zelda game I have before the end of the year! Well, maybe playing some of all of them anyway.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I really couldn't get into the game. It's not bad, but something about it didn't click for me. I think I got sick of the game after that boss that you have to kill with the arrows or something.

I was playing the Gamecube version. Maybe I'll give it another shot soonish. Again, not a bad game, but it didn't click, but it was probably my dislike of the N64 getting in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The boss in the Deku Tree? Shit, it's been a long time since I played that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    The boss in the Deku Tree? Shit, it's been a long time since I played that game.
    Nope, it was way farther than that. All I remember is being in a platform and having to evade flying attacks of some sort. It irritated the hell outta me.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Nope, it was way farther than that. All I remember is being in a platform and having to evade flying attacks of some sort. It irritated the hell outta me.
    Sounds like the Forest Temple, which is the first temple you play as adult Link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by kale View Post
    Sounds like the Forest Temple, which is the first temple you play as adult Link.
    Nope, I was waaaaaaaay past that part. I checked an FAQ to make sure, and it was the Shadow Temple.

... which was apparently close to the end? Wow.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't get into OoT. Everyone keeps calling it the greatest game ever. Sorry, LttP would be that game, probably, if I had to give the title out to a game. OoT doesn't even feel like a Zelda game to me since so much of the play mechanics are completely changed. LttP is a very pick-up-and-play kind of game. There's no long ass tutorial village in the beginning, and w/ good reason. You don't NEED one. There's a very concrete storyline from the very beginning of the game and that is actually interesting.

Maybe if I played the game w/o the mindset of it being a Zelda title I'd like it more. Probably not tho.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com