Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids Today...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Kids Today...

This may not precisely pertain to classic video games- but it does involve them in a sense. I'd just like to blow off a little steam concerning my classmates up at my middle school...

They love to talk smack about the classic games (particularly NES and SNES) just to piss me off- they know I'm obsessed with 8-Bit Mario games in particular. They say those games are "stupid" (great vocabulary, kids!) because they don't have enough violent or gory scenes. What the hell!? Maybe there isn't blood dripping off my television screen, but hey- these games are FUN! The classics contain one element current-generation games will never have: gameplay. They revolve around one simple element, may it be navigating a frog across a busy highway or blasting aliens with a fragile tank. Have these kids even given the classics a CHANCE? I think they're being biased. Or maybe I'm just one of a kind at my school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The sooner you understand and live this, the better.

Really -- who cares what someone else says? Especially if they trash games you yourself enjoy. You cannot change their minds nor should you care to. Let them play what they like and you keep doing what satisfies you. It's much better when you're not worrying about what everyone else says or thinks.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. I just wish kids actually knew what a REAL game was- back before Xbox or Sony ever entered the market. I don't really care but it does "grind my gears" (Anybody who doesn't get that reference should watch Family Guy more often) to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

As long as they stop playing that crap ass Call of Duty MW2 and start playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 all will be well in my book, but I guess that may a bit off topic, then again it all boils down to the same thing..... opinion.

Insert Coin (Level 0) yoshilime53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uhhhg, dont get me Started. My classmates think that ANYTHING nes is SUPER ULTRA RARE AND EXPENSIVE. One of them quoted SMB/DH at being like 500 dollars. And when i told my friend he could sell his NES, his other friend said not to, becasue he heard something nes soldfor alot (refering to Stadium Events), but when i told him tht ne's and common games arnt worth alot, he denied it fully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh how annoying. But remember, its their loss,
    and you're the one playing the fun games.
    As for that overpricing of NES thing, I just facedesked to that.
    N64 collector

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I don't give a crap if a kid or adult doesn't like what I like, most likely I don't like what they like, and that's fine, the less demand for the classics means more for me until $40,000 sales for games have been happening, and now people that aren't even into games are going to purchase them as pure investments they think are worth fortunes.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yoshilime53 View Post
    Uhhhg, dont get me Started. My classmates think that ANYTHING nes is SUPER ULTRA RARE AND EXPENSIVE. One of them quoted SMB/DH at being like 500 dollars. And when i told my friend he could sell his NES, his other friend said not to, becasue he heard something nes soldfor alot (refering to Stadium Events), but when i told him tht ne's and common games arnt worth alot, he denied it fully.
    That's when you should offer to sell him your extras, like 10 copies of SMB/DH for $20 each. Either he sticks to his belief and buys your common games, or he admits he's wrong about the rarity and value of them.

To the OP: If your friends think all NES games aren't violent or gory enough, just get a copy of Chiller to show them. Or stop caring what they say, if they're just saying that stuff to get you angry why bother hanging out with them.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Visual Aid Time!

Panels 1 & 2 depict what your classmates think they are experiencing now...
    Panel 3 depicts what they will find when they return to these 'awesome' games in 10-20 years...
    And finally, Panel 4 depicts their reaction to their misspent youth.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    This may not precisely pertain to classic video games- but it does involve them in a sense. I'd just like to blow off a little steam concerning my classmates up at my middle school...

They love to talk smack about the classic games (particularly NES and SNES) just to piss me off- they know I'm obsessed with 8-Bit Mario games in particular. They say those games are "stupid" (great vocabulary, kids!) because they don't have enough violent or gory scenes. What the hell!? Maybe there isn't blood dripping off my television screen, but hey- these games are FUN! The classics contain one element current-generation games will never have: gameplay. They revolve around one simple element, may it be navigating a frog across a busy highway or blasting aliens with a fragile tank. Have these kids even given the classics a CHANCE? I think they're being biased. Or maybe I'm just one of a kind at my school.
    I think everybody knows how that feels by now. Give them a while;elementary school kids can be absolute demons at times. They'll wise-up sooner or later. If anything, Icarus' picture chart is proof of that.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really glad to see someone as young as you really appreciate where games came from and where (IMHO) the best games are. Even if your friends disagree, enjoy what you enjoy, and know that there's a place on the internet where nearly everyone shares your love for retro games (that is... right here )

Also really glad to see that you can use proper grammar and spelling, etc. A lot of ADULTS on the internet can't even manage as much

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its easy to blame the youth for being ignorant.

Keep in mind people are automatically spoiled in most cases just from being born in a certain era.

With general peer pressure and online gaming to keep up with your pals, there's little chance a young person will ever get the opportunity to explore retro games.

Its what you are exposed to in your formative years that will probably set your standards. Thats your reality, anything that came before your time is not your reality, especially when there is a "more advanced, prettier and better version out there already"

Much the same way you probably do not like the music or tv shows of your parents era.

I was gaming pre Atari 2600 on clone pong consoles. Witch pretty much means I witnessed a lot of evolution.

Because of this modern games are not any more special to me than retro-games. Not that I don't like modern games, I do but I am still blown away by 2600 Adventure and the 8-bit and 16-Phantasy Stars are still my favorite rpgs of all time.

On the other hand my brother and few other people my age who grew up with me have a disdain for anything not on the cutting edge. They have no appreciation for retro-games even though these are games they grew up playing. I am not talking about strictly 8 and 16 bit games. They find Xbox 1 and PS2 graphics way below standard.

So its not just the young kids who are to blame.

I often wonder how I never fell into that type of thinking.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Speaking as someone who grew up in the 8-bit era, it amuses me when I walk by the Wii kiosks at Wal-Mart and I see kids struggling to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They point the remote at the screen and shake it, seemingly only getting Mario to perform the spin jump. The first few times I saw this, I explained how they had to hold the controller sidesway, even demonstrated it to them, but as soon as I handed the controller back, they went back to pointing and shaking. After that, I just watch in amusement as they get frustrated.

Then they walk over to the PS3 kiosk and start performing all kinds of complicated tricks in a Spiderman game, and I'm like WTF?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Ahh, Retro Player, my young friend. I'm glad that you enjoy the classics as everyone on this board does to some degree.

But when you argue with your bitch-ass colleagues, try to remember that their opinion is every bit as valid as yours. If you attack or persecute them for it, it's just gonna cause problems for you. Let them enjoy their MW2. It's sad that they'll probably never experience Super Mario World or Metroid, but as others have said in this thread--their loss.

And I mean this in the nicest way, but I do detect a slight bit of elitism in your posts. We all love the classics, but the truth is that some of the modern games are pretty good too. Don't sell yourself short and give up on experiences just because you're fighting some ideologic battle with the brats at your middle school. Try some of those modern games out. Some of them are pretty cool, and a lot of them make references and nods to older games as well, which is something you (and not your classmates) will appreciate given your experience with classic games. (Check out stuff like Metal Gear Solid or Little Big Planet).

The point of games, really, is to be enjoyed. Go for what you like, and don't worry about what anyone else says.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

All I'll add to this topic is that, thankfully, video gaming still includes a wide range of genres and game styles. If you're a fan of any era, there are new games and platforms being sold all the time. In that sense, gaming has faired much better than the music industry, where almost all new music is unfathomably bad to those older than 22.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Taboo topics of conversation:

(1) Religion
    (2) Politics

And now...

(3) Taste in video games

Alright to discuss in general...never a good idea to criticize or try to convince.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay I'm impressed, that such a young person can seen through the majority of newer games polish, and realise, you can polish shit, but no matter what, It's still gonna be shit.

You're better off just ignoring such people, in r/l or ask them how does it feel like paying $60 for a game, that only offers 1-3 days tops, of gameplay, and that it wasn't even close to being as great, as the Trailers/reviews implied(that should shut them up).

However, It's pretty enjoyable to argue with such people on forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Someday, hopefully, you will look back and laugh and say, "remember when I used to give a fuck about what people thought about what video games I played?"

I'm sure this seems like a pretty big deal to a kid in middle school -- heck, I remember being upset because my parents bought me knock-off Converse shoes one time and someone at school noticed -- but trust me, in about five years this will all seem pretty funny.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember those awesome arguements, honestly I kind of miss them at times. Transformers vs GI Joe. Metallica vs Megadeth. But, my fav ones where Genesis vs SNES. All the RPG fans against the arcade attics.

Good times.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    i remember those awesome arguements, honestly I kind of miss them at times. Transformers vs GI Joe. Metallica vs Megadeth. But, my fav ones where Genesis vs SNES. All the RPG fans against the arcade attics.

Good times.

Lol by posting such a thing, you are asking for someone to derail the thread, due to the fact people are very passionate on that subject(including myself, but I have good self control), I suggest you use a different example.